Yet another big smoker....

Started by Mr Walleye, May 22, 2010, 12:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I was looking at the way this fellow did it, and it looks like he is having no trouble.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/86302/my-insulated-plywood-propane-smoker

Habanero Smoker

I can't help you with the maximum temperature your cabinet can safely reach. But as to your question on what temperature you should smoke at, actually the temperature ranged for hot smoking cured meat is 100°F - 180°F. Some sources will state the upper range is 200°F. Once you get over 200°F that is considered barbecuing temperatures; which we us use to smoke/cook most of our foods in the Bradley. I will use 225°F when I am smoking/cooking lean cured meats and poultry, but for bellies, fish, sausage etc I will keep the cabinet temperature below 180°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

weedenb

Thanks for the response guys, as far as the smoking temps go I'm doing 140F as my target during the smoke period. After that I'm just trying to get the finish temp as the various recipe's recommend. For the salmon I'm doing 175F until the IT hits ~150F which only takes about an hour past the smoke time. Most of the cured pork and beef recipes seem to be good with this but I'm wondering about the poultry as it seems they usually want a faster/higher finish temp? My loin bacon turned out very good at an IT of 145F running 200F in the smoker to finish it. I think I have a handle on the smoke temps just wondering about how long I should take to get to the finish IT for various meats?

Thanks,
Robert............

ramrod

Just getting started with my project but hope for some direction. Have a 4 door stainless steel commercial frig used propane heat and put pan of wood on top of burner (lots of guesswork).Want to change to electric with the pid controllers. Some of these projects look AWESOME. I want to do it right the first time.My smoker is on a trailer I had built. Smoker size 48 in 24in 48 in tall. Planning on using a 220 volt 3000 watt element. Just got my smoke generator today. Have not ordered any controls yet. Is there any changes I should know about or is the schematic on the one you built for your freind the way to go? Cant wait to get SMOKN! Thanks for any input.  Ramrod

Mr Walleye

Hi RamRod and welcome to the forum.

This setup has been working flawlessly since it was built. It did take me a little bit of time to get it dialed in but once I did it runs very well. I'm assuming that your measurements are the interior. If so it is slightly larger cubic inches than mine. I would think the 3000 watt element would be good. You didn't mention if the cabinet is insulated and if so with what.

If I was doing it again I wouldn't change much on the wiring schematic. The main reason I used the second controller as a high limit safety switch is because I have mine built into a heated garage. This way if there is a fire or electronic failure the system will shut it down when it hits the high temp limit that I have set. You may, or may not want the extra expense on a trailer mounted unit. Just make sure you have one common ground for everything. This was a problem (ground loop) I ran into on one of mine and it took a lot of trouble shooting to figure it out.

I would try to locate the element centrally on the floor in the cabinet, making sure you have some form of drip pans for the grease.

When I built this one for my friend I didn't use a circulation fan and it functions just fine with out it. I would build it without initially and try it, but in your planning stage have a backup plan in case you find you need to add one.

One other thought I had for an outdoor trailer mounted rig using the Bradley smoke generator you may want to give some consideration to protecting you smoker generator and the controls from the inevitable rain.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. Make sure you keep us posted on how you progress with it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ramrod

Thanks Mike for the quick response. Yes those are inside dimisions and yes it is insulated. I had to take insulation out of 4 doors tho since they swelled from heat. But i am working on getting a guy to put stainless plate on doors and reinsulate with a different material. I am going to use the second controller even tho it is outside (it is still a good idea) I noticed the common grnd so thks for informing me on that. Am going to leave provisons for a fan. I had one on before, it was necessary when I used Propane. I am planning on using plugs on cords, so I can take off easily take off when not in use so weather should not be a problem. I talked to Auber and asked if they thought I could use a generator to run it when away from home, they thought it would be ok on the PID. What do you think? The input voltage seemed to have a big variance on the PID. Thanks for any input.
Ramrod

Mr Walleye

If it was me I would try running it on a generator. I don't see a problem with that. I would make sure you fuse your PIDs to help protect them.

I look for wanrd to seeing things as they progress.

Good luck

Mike

ramrod

Mr. Walleye thanks for help so far. What size fuses do you suggest for the controllers? The 1512 and 2352. Tks ramrod

Mr Walleye

Hi Ramrod

1 amp slow blow fuse is what they recommend and what I've been using.

How are things coming along?

Mike

ramrod

thanks Mike for info on fuse. Found a weaterproof box to use and am starting on it. Need to order fuseholder/fuses and I have everything I need. Will get some pix together when I get further. Tried smoke generator and smoked well but a lot of smoke came back out through the generator. Gotta figure that out, but goin GOOD.  Ramrod

Quarlow

Ramrod make sure you have enough vent in the top. If not it will back the smoke threw the SG and that will cause trouble with it gumming up.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mr Walleye

Ramrod

Like Quarlow said you do need enough vent to create the draft. I've found a 4" vent in the top with a butterfly in it works good. On the big smoker, while it's running, if you open the door then close it the compression will briefly push smoke back out the generator but it quickly corrects itself. It might last 2 or 3 seconds or something like that.

Mike

Sheriff Smitty

I'm sorry i'm getting in late on this, but I want to replace my smoker with a something new. What is the difference between the "PID" & the "Controller"?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Sheriff Smitty on November 04, 2011, 01:22:51 PM
I'm sorry i'm getting in late on this, but I want to replace my smoker with a something new. What is the difference between the "PID" & the "Controller"?

Smitty

I'm not sure if you are referring to this particular smoker that I built or not. Certainly if you are, if you look at page one of this thread, the 5th photo down shows the 2 separate PID controllers that I used in this project. The larger of the two, the one on the top, controls the heating element in the smoker.

The smaller one, the one on the bottom, acts as a high limit shut off in case there is a fire or if there is a failure in one of the componets that control the heating. It controls a contactor, if the temp in the cabinet exceeds the set temp on this controller, the contactor will shut off power to the cabinet.

In this writeup, I used the word "PID" and "controller" interchangeably.

Mike

300saum

Looks good.   ;D

Where did you come up with the cabinet for your controllers?  I have been looking for something like that to mount to the side of the smoker that I've been building.