Stuffing my face on Independence Day

Started by Uncle Pigfat, July 01, 2010, 10:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

So I'm going to be doing some pulled pork over the weekend and was curious about what kind of cook time I'll be looking at for a boston butt somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 lbs.  I'm doing 3 racks of ribs too but we'll be eating both around the same time so I'm going to start the butt early early in the morning and FTC it until dinner while the ribs smoke.

squirtthecat

Hour to 1.5 hours/lb minimum.   You'll have a load of meat in, so the Bradley will be struggling to come up to temp.

I've had a 7lb butt take 22 hours...

drewpatton

Ive had them take as short as 9 hours to as long as 26 hours! I go to 190 IT for pulled pork.

Uncle Pigfat

Hmm, I was thinking it might be a crap shoot from some of the other things I've seen.  I guess I'll start it in the wee hours of the morning and if worse comes to worse then I'll just finish it in the oven when the ribs need to go in.

Thanks guys.

FLBentRider

Most of the time I start butts around 1900-2100, and they finish around 1300-1600.

Some more, some less, but that is the average.

Note - that is usually 4 butts ~30lbs of pork, in the OBS with one element.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

I usually do a butt and brisket together. The brisket about 12-13# the butts about 8#. The butts took anywhere from 12 -20 hours. (I have dual elements installed and cooked at about 225-230F
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Uncle Pigfat

So I'm using a larger foil pan instead of my water bowl mostly to minimize the amount of times I'll be opening the cabinet.  I'm debating on foiling the back of the drip tray, but I'm not sure if this is necessary for 1 5.24 lb butt.  It might be nice for the ribs though when they go in monday afternoon.  Is there a huge difference with the foil cover on the V?

DTAggie

I did two yesterday, a 9 lb and an 8 lb.  One took 19 hrs other 21 hrs

Uncle Pigfat

A brief pictorial history of my first butt:

5.24 lb jammer all rubbed down with Uncle Pigfat's Bubb Rubb and yanked out of the fridge after 20 hrs:

Put in the OBS for 4 hours of apple/hickory smoke at 1:30 am Monday, July 5th.  America is getting an after party.  Yanked at 9:45 am with an IT of 186.  Going to FTC as long as possible.  Not sure If I'm going to pull and crockpot this mother with some vaunted vinegar or put the whole thing back in the OBS with my baby backs (pics will follow) to warm up a bit, pull, and serve naked with a choice of sauces and thick dill pickle slices...

The hound doesn't get any, no matter how sad he looks.  This ain't brisket day, pal.  Give me any lip, and you go in next!

I didn't oil my rack so some stuck and I descended upon it like a wild animal....holy hell.  I can't wait to tear into this thing.  It was threatening to fall apart when I transferred it from the rack to the foil.

squirtthecat

Awesome!

Get yourself some 'frog mats'...    That'll help with the "butt weld" issues.

Uncle Pigfat

I actually have them.  I just didn't think to use them since I bought them mostly for jerky.  I was pleased there was sticking though.  If I didn't get a taste I'd be hovering over that cooler all day just drooling and gibbering incessantly to myself about all the awful things I'm going to do to this meat.

classicrockgriller

Sounds like you are going to be in Butt Heaven today.

Nice pics. Thanks.

Tenpoint5

Don't you just LOVE the torment that we put ourselves through. Knowing all that smokey goodness is in there yet we don't rip into it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Poor dog, surly one little bite couldn't hurt!

stillsmoking