Prime rib

Started by beyondclarity, October 29, 2010, 12:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondclarity

Has anyone attempted a prime rib in the bradley 4 rack?  I'd really like to do one but am afraid I might overcook it and end up ruining an expensive cut of meat.

I'm curious about cooking temps/times and perhaps which flavor of pucks might be best.  And of course if there are any other techniques used to avoid drying out or overcooking, that would be great.

Also what sort IT am I looking for to get it to medium rare?  140-145ish?

Thanks!

classicrockgriller

I have done two and they were both GREAT.

Just "Low & Slow" and you can catch the rib at the IT you like.

140 to 145ish sounds right for M/R.

beyondclarity

"low and slow", would you say thats something like a cab temp of 180-200?  Or less?

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

140-145 is TOO HIGH...
It will continue to rise another 10 degrees or so while resting, and it will end up medium well or worse.

I would pull it at 120 --- It will rise to 130ish while resting.
Remember, you can't uncook it.

Note: FLBR pulls his at 110.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Read this thread (skip past all the chit-chat, and just check the the last few posts)
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18544.0
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

I pull a standing rib or sirloin roast at about 120.  TLC for about an hour.  It really is really amazing on how much it coasts up.  Then I put it in a 375 oven to crisp up the outside.  IT should be about 135.  There's no need to rest at this point because it already has.

Low and slow isn't required to tenderize it.  However, it tends to make a more even temp throughout.  Roasting at a higher temp can make it well done toward the outside and rare in the center.

Just my opinion.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

kelpiedg

The latest one I cooked, I used a simple rub of 1 cup brown sugar, a 1/4 cup kosher salt and a little course black pepper.  cooked it to IT of145 with about three hrs of Jim Beam smoke, rested about a half hour.  The family that wanted it done more I just fired up the Weber put a quick sear to it an we ate.  Turned out pretty good.

BuyLowSellHigh

Medium rare should be about 135 °F.  Remove from the heat source about 10 ° early, cover or tent with with foil and in about 15 -20 min should be about perfect.  If you want it dark and crusty on the outside, then pull it from the smoker about 20-25 ° early and finish it in a 500 °F preheated oven for the last few minutes.  It will be awesome!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Pachanga

I would agree on pulling at 125 to 127 IT in the center.

I too crisp mine up in a 500 degree oven with the broiler on.  Turn to crisp all sides evenly.  This doesn't take long.  Watch it the whole time.

Two tips I use are:

Place a double heavy duty foil cap over both ends and 1 inch up the sides to keep the ends from over cooking.  

Run your probe down the center of the end to be sure the contact point is directly in the center of the rib.

As I recall Ka Honu posted the following link sometime ago.  I thought it was well worth reading and saving so I will pass it along.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

beyondclarity

Pachanga -

That article was exactly what I was looking for.  I really like how he broke down the relative successes/failures of the different method.

Thanks a LOT!

Tommy3Putts

I did my first Prime Rib in my D6R this past weekend.  I'd say that assuming you get a choice or a prime rib roast, it will be pretty hard to screw it up.   I had some time constraints and did mine on a higher temp in the Bradley than I normally would have and it still turned out great.  I did it at 280 and it was done in about four hours (it was half a roast, the other have was cut for steaks).  Next time I'll do it at between 230-240.  Most important is to watch your IT.  I recommend 130 to 140 range.

beyondclarity

I'm going to follow the basic idea laid out in this link:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

With the temp at 180, since the author emphasizes roasting at the lowest possible temp your oven (smoker in this case) can do.

Any idea what I might be looking at for amount of time per pound at 180 to reach an IT of 130?  I couldn't find time per pound at a temp that low.  Most sites talked about 325 or more for the oven temp, which I'm not going to do.

FLBentRider

If I had to guess I'd say 45 minutes to an hour per lb or more.

I did one @200F, pulled it @120F, FTC and then into a 500F oven for 8 minutes. Perfect!

I posted it here somewhere...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!