10-5 Maple bacon.............but what about pepper bacon!!

Started by wkahler, January 13, 2011, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Had a conversation, aka messaging , with 10-5 about his bacon recipe and was wondering if anyone else has tried to do it minus the brown sugar and maple syrup and used black pepper???  Wanted to try and make some pepper bacon, since it seems to fly off the plate at the family events.  Let me know what you guys think and if there is another idea out there that is as simple as the maple recipe but for pepper bacon!!  Just in case you guys wondered the waiting process for the bacon sucks...........seriously 5-7 days, why not 5-7 hours LOL!!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

wyoduke

I crack my pepper right before iput it in the smoker and rub it in and it stays on and adds alot of flavor
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Tenpoint5

That my friend is what makes it taste so good. The wait!! after you rinse the Bacon reapply the Fresh Cracked then let it sit over night and smoke in the AM.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wkahler

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 13, 2011, 06:20:18 PM
That my friend is what makes it taste so good. The wait!! after you rinse the Bacon reapply the Fresh Cracked then let it sit over night and smoke in the AM.
Hate you and your wait time!!! LOL!!!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: wkahler on January 13, 2011, 06:42:15 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 13, 2011, 06:20:18 PM
Hate you and your wait time!!! LOL!!!
But WE LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE YOU!!! ;D ;D ;D

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Stay tuned to see what happens in yet another love hate relationship on the next episopde of  "The Cured Smoker"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jiggerjams on January 14, 2011, 07:00:31 AM
Stay tuned to see what happens in yet another love hate relationship on the next episopde of  "The Cured Smoker"

Just wait until after he slices it up and fry's that first piece. He will come around.

jiggerjams

You are sooo right, that first slice is like taking the bait.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jiggerjams on January 14, 2011, 07:17:04 AM
You are sooo right, that first slice is like taking the bait.

Hence the moniker under my name. "Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World!!"

jiggerjams

How true how true....now pass me over one of them bacon boulders and a lighter ;D

wkahler

You guys are great!!!  Well got it int he fridge and waiting for the first round of flipping it over.  I guess now i know at the local butcher to only order on fresh belly, seeing as they where almost 9lbs.  So now i have about 17lbs in the fridge and hoping to get it all done and do on half of a in pepper and then leave the rest with the original 10-5 recipe.  So needless to say i need to find a way to make it work out on my Trager for the smoking.  Thinking of sitting it up on some racks to keep it off the heat directly and let it get more of a smoke then a cook on it.

squirtthecat

I've done it on my Traeger...    Works great.
Just run it on 'smoke' or 180 (if you have the 180 controller).

I did prop my bacon up on some inverted Bradley racks just to get it a little farther away from the heat.   

If you have some jerky racks and some bricks - that would do the trick as well.

wkahler

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 14, 2011, 11:23:05 AM

I've done it on my Traeger...    Works great.

I did prop my bacon up on some inverted Bradley racks just to get it a little farther away from the heat.  

Thats what my plan was, i bought some bradley racks on ebay and us them for my eggs when i smoke them.  About how long did you do it for and what IT did you pull it at???

KyNola

Quote from: wkahler on January 14, 2011, 01:00:19 PM
Thats what my plan was, i bought some bradley racks on ebay and us them for my eggs when i smoke them.  About how long did you do it for and what IT did you pull it at???
I just did 2 slabs in my MAK pellet burner.  Laid them directly on the surface but if you want them off the surface, take your Bradley racks and turn them upside down and place the slabs on them and put in your Traeger.  I usually go to an IT of 150-152 and take them off.

wkahler

Quote from: KyNola on January 14, 2011, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: wkahler on January 14, 2011, 01:00:19 PM
I just did 2 slabs in my MAK pellet burner.  Laid them directly on the surface but if you want them off the surface, take your Bradley racks and turn them upside down and place the slabs on them and put in your Traeger.  I usually go to an IT of 150-152 and take them off.

When you say upside down you mean fatty side up or down??  Also was thinking on the pepper bacon idea, but pepper on only one side or on both sides of the slab???