• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie from Salt Lake

Started by donnie801, March 24, 2011, 08:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donnie801

Hello fellow smokers! I scored my OBS from a scratch and dent store about a month ago. The only problem I could find is the box was beat up pretty bad, everything works Great inside the smoker! Best of all I only gave $115 for it! Smoked a brisket per the provided cookbook and the wife loved it, now I have full reign to smoke what I want and she don't ask, life is good. ;D

So now I've decided to dive in head first and invited a bunch of friends over this weekend and smoking 17lbs. of pork ribs. Plan on following 10.5's directions to the letter.

My question is I have about 9 adults coming over, do I have enough ribs? they appear very meaty but a couple these guys(myself included) eat like Clydesdale's. I have some country spare ribs in the freezer also, should I cook them for back-up? Any help is appreciated and I love this site! Thanks donnie

P.S. This site has spellcheck! That rocks!

Tenpoint5

I would throw them Country Style ribs in there as well. The ladies will probably prefer them over the male barbarian style of eating ribs off the bone. I would guess at a half rack per guest. There will be all of the sides to help fill them up. You can also make some Moink Balls and ABT's to help get things started for the guys. I make the Moinks and ABT's the day before then reheat in a foil pan in the oven at 150ยบ
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Oh yeah Welcome aboard you got a great deal on your Bradley!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Jim O

Welcome Donnie. Great buy on the smoker !

You can never do enough ribs. No matter how many you do,there's never enough IMHO.

You never mentioned whether they were backs or spares.

None the less 17 lbs should be enough. Just keep the beer flowin' and if you run out , order a pizza or three !

Good luck.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

kinyo

donnie801

Quote from: Jim O on March 24, 2011, 08:41:56 AM
Welcome Donnie. Great buy on the smoker !

You can never do enough ribs. No matter how many you do,there's never enough IMHO.

You never mentioned whether they were backs or spares.

None the less 17 lbs should be enough. Just keep the beer flowin' and if you run out , order a pizza or three !

Good luck.

Jim O

You're right Jim, spareribs

Thanks guys, Moinks? took me a minute to search for those, still looking for ABTs?

Tenpoint5

beefmann

welcome to the forum and enjoy

KyNola

Welcome to the forum Donnie.  Sounds like you hit the ground running.

wyoduke

Welcome and i think chris has you covered ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

TestRocket

Welcome and what wyoduke said!   ;D

Quote from: wyoduke on March 24, 2011, 10:56:58 AM
Welcome and i think chris has you covered ;D

pikeman_95

welcome Donnie  Remember if you are going to stuff your smoker to start early. the extra meat soaks up the heat.

donnie801

Thanks Pikeman, I did start a couple hours early thinkin that. Now I'm playin hell tryin to keep it up to temp. Dual elements soon. PS, should I be rotating the meat? I am, about every hour 1/2 or so? Hate doin it, loose so much temp when I open the door  :(

pikeman_95

I guess you might to have switch it around now and then but as seldom as possible. You might try to cover the outside as well as you can with something to hold in the heat.

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers