White springs (kings) for smoking

Started by tsquared, September 25, 2005, 03:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

This summer southern Vancouver Island anglers caught lots of white spring salmon. (kings) They taste fine but their flesh is not the red/pink colour people normally associate with salmon. When I used to fish salmon commercially we did not like catching them because we could only sell them for a fraction of the price red springs sold for. I've done one batch of Kummok's strips with them so  far this season, and I've got a second batch in the marinade right now. (Trying to make room in the freezer for some monster coho (silvers) that I plan to bring home from a fishing trip next weekend.) If you ever see some of these white springs for sale, (they are always discounted) don't hesitate for a second as they smoke beautifully and are great wild fish.
T2

Kummok

This is one marketing twist I've yet to figure out[?] In my book, feeder Kings are the TOP of the food chain and the white Kings are the BEST of the BEST![:p] They actually don't taste ANY different than the orange flesh Kings, but the whites last a little longer in the freezer without the fishy taste/color change than the orange flesh. Personally, I'd pay extra for the white (IF I had to actually BUY salmon[;)][:D]). My advice is to buy the white Kings and save the bucks before others figure this one out[:p][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

tsquared

Hey Kummok--Got the alder smoke billowing out the top past the strips and the beer is cold in the fridge in anticipation. Word from my weekend fishing destination is that a 31 lb coho (silver) was weighed in at the marina yesterday.[:D][:D]There must be another one out there with my name on it...
T2

tsquared

Kummok's strips made out of the white spring are out of the smoker--and are delicious. I used the standard brine but I sprinkle a mixof coarse ground pepper,rosemary and dried juniper berries (coarse ground)on the fish when the surface is dried enough to be tacky. This time I smoked with alder for 2 hours at 90-100 degrees F.,(just the generator on) and continued to use that temp for another 20 hours. Came out wonderful.
T2