Texas Crutch

Started by zueth, September 26, 2011, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Who uses the texas crutch for pork shoulders, how about Brisket?

I have not had the need to use it for pork shoulders, because mine I have always came out moist and tender.  With my last Brisket I did it was a little dry, so I am thinking if I would of done the Texas Crutch it might of helped with that.

Look forward to hearing everybody's thoughts.

classicrockgriller

I don't crunch Butts and maybe once on a Brisket.

I let my FTC be the crunch.

mikecorn.1

Just did a poke butt yesterday and didn't crutch it. Just foil till time to serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

pensrock

OK, I'll ask for us yanks. WTH is a texas crutch? I'm guessing its boating with some kind of liquid.  :-\
Or do you hobble around with a chunk of messy wood under your arm?  ;) ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: pensrock on September 26, 2011, 03:29:22 PM... I'm guessing its boating with some kind of liquid.

Exactly - excellent guess.

I occasionally boat a brisket but only if I've screwed something up and need a moisturizing, tenderizing fix.

Tenpoint5

I noticed that my briskets were moist but seemed to dry out quickly after slicing. I was carrying them to 195º then putting them in FTC. I did some pondering and came up with a solution that seems to WORK FOR ME . I started pulling my briskets at 185º. Since I have been doing this they seem to retain a lot more moisture with the aid of the "Texas Crutch" Give it a shot it may work for you as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TedEbear

Quote from: pensrock on September 26, 2011, 03:29:22 PM
OK, I'll ask for us yanks. WTH is a texas crutch? I'm guessing its boating with some kind of liquid.  :-\

The Texas Crutch

To the OP, the author in the above link uses it primarily on briskets.  I use it mainly on ribs.

ArnieM

I have used it before on ribs and brisket but go without it now.  I like the end result better without the 'steaming' phase.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

zueth

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 26, 2011, 04:39:56 PM
I noticed that my briskets were moist but seemed to dry out quickly after slicing. I was carrying them to 195º then putting them in FTC. I did some pondering and came up with a solution that seems to WORK FOR ME . I started pulling my briskets at 185º. Since I have been doing this they seem to retain a lot more moisture with the aid of the "Texas Crutch" Give it a shot it may work for you as well.

Are you saying that you use the texas crutch and pull at 185?

Tenpoint5

No Zeuth I don't use the crutch anymore I solved the problems I was having by pulling at 185 instead of 195
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Amen to the advice - not needed - as 10.5 noted - its all about the IT.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"