• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Started by Drac, February 16, 2012, 05:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Mardi Gras is Tuesday!!!

Having a party at work and planning to do up some gumbo and some crawfish Étouffée.  Since this is my first venture into classic Creole I did some searches and came across this site -

http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html (also has some sausage recipes)

They had a chicken and sausage gumbo that doesn't have stewed tomatoes (not a big fan) that I plan to use.  Also the Étouffée recipe.

Anyone else have plans?  Recipe suggestions? 

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Drac

Thanks!!!

I am thinking that I might sub the pie for the Étouffée.  I'll need less crock pots to keep everything warm.

Jim

hal4uk

Just try the gumbo at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen in NOLA, and then remember to just not make anything that tastes like THAT. 
Stated differently... Don't burn the dang roux and you can't go too far wrong.  ;)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

Quote from: hal4uk on February 16, 2012, 01:01:02 PM...the gumbo at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen in NOLA

That was not our best lunch choice, was it?  We should have been a bit more suspicious when we saw the takeout menu from the place across the street sitting by the cash register.

Drac

Last year when we went to NOLA for a Mardi Gras weekend (2nd weekend I believe) we did some food touring.  Went to Mother's and Johnny's.  Had a Ferdi at Mother's and sea food gumbo with a boudin po-boy. 

Looking forward to using the andouille and tasso I did up last month :D

As for the roux I was going to try the Alton Brown technique the first time.  Seems less likely to screw up for a beginner.

Jim

hal4uk

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 16, 2012, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on February 16, 2012, 01:01:02 PM...the gumbo at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen in NOLA

That was not our best lunch choice, was it?  We should have been a bit more suspicious when we saw the takeout menu from the place across the street sitting by the cash register.
Bingo.  Of course, our first clue should have been that Larry, who spends more time than any of us in NOLA, decided to pass on that excursion.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: hal4uk on February 16, 2012, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: Ka Honu on February 16, 2012, 01:44:21 PM

Bingo.  Of course, our first clue should have been that Larry, who spends more time than any of us in NOLA, decided to pass on that excursion.
;)Funnily enough on our last trip down there I discovered my newest favorite place for gumbo in the FQ and strangely enough it is in a pizza joint.  Louisiana Pizza Kitchen at the down river side of the FQ across the street from the French Market.  They do amazing pizzas in a wood fired oven there with great wine and other goodies.  Apparently they also make their roux in the wood fired oven as the gumbo has a great smokey flavor to it.  Still trying to figure out exactly how they are doing it.

Headed back down to NOLA over Easter so I will test drive their gumbo again!

hal4uk

I think we should all move down there, open a little place in an alley, and call it "Not K-Paul's" or "NKP Diner" and let em figger it out...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on February 16, 2012, 10:00:44 PMApparently they also make their roux in the wood fired oven as the gumbo has a great smokey flavor to it.  Still trying to figure out exactly how they are doing it.

Might just be a dry roux - put a pan of flour in a 400o oven and stir every 10 minutes until it gets the color you want. The wood-fired oven would give you the smoky taste.

Quote from: KyNola on February 16, 2012, 10:00:44 PMHeaded back down to NOLA over Easter ...

I think our next "overlap" is in 2014 when Easter is on April 20th and JazzFest starts on the 25th - better tell everyone to mark their calendars and  start planning to be there.

TomW

Redfish Bon-Ton from Bon-Ton Cafe.... worth the trip.

Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

Drac

Spent yesterday afternoon doing the misa en pas aka chopping a ton of Trinity.  Three containers of Trinity.  Though I wonder if it is a Trinity since it always seems to have chopped garlic too.

A quick question for the experts.  The recipes say to brown the chicken, sausage and tasso and than drain.  Make the roux with a nutral oil and flour.  Why not use the fats collected from browning the meats?  That is how my mother makes the blond rouxs she uses to make chicken gravy and I use the bacon drippings for a blond roux for gravy too.

Thanks,
Jim

Ka Honu

Quote from: Drac on February 20, 2012, 06:23:30 AMWhy not use the fats collected from browning the meats? 

Good question.  I've been doing that for years and don't know why it's not printed in recipes that way except that it may be more difficult to measure the amount of fat you need.  I originally thought you were more likely to burn the roux that way but that never seemed to be a problem.

DisplacedCoonass

Quote from: Drac on February 20, 2012, 06:23:30 AM
Why not use the fats collected from browning the meats? 

If the recipes are from Louisiana, there's a good bet they were written in the 80's.  Since we're heart disease central, a lot of folks tried to replace the natural fats from meats with supposed good fats from canola or vegetable oils.  I can remember my grandmother going through all her recipes and replacing the oleo and lard with margarine and crisco.

Drac

Thanks.  I will pour it into a cup than top it off to the needed amount but I didn't want to waste all that flavor-filled fat.

Jim