• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maverick 732 problems again!

Started by viper125, February 21, 2012, 04:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

man I love this maverick 732 but these probes are just junk. I bought mine in October of 2011 last week in fact. My first probe went out on the second or third smoke. Within two weeks they both were bad. So I wrote and they sent me two more. Now 3 months later in the middle of smoking my meat probe is gone. This time I removed the units and left probes hooked to smoker. Its in side. So I know their not pulled or kinked. I wash the probes only on the ends not clear to the wire with a damp cloth. I make sure to position probes no no juices or condensation rolls down to the wires. Im feed up. And these probes are about 20.00 so a person can just about buy a new one for what they cost! Well thanks for letting me rant and rave. Now to send them a letter.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

I talked my coworker into purchasing one. He hasn't had it more than 3 weeks and one of the probes went out. He's also having problems
With it loosing connection at less than 100 ft. Only thing between the units is a set of French Doors. Oh. Probe never got wet. Just wiped clean. Mine came in today. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

I started having problems with one of my ET-732 probes last weekend.  Just now I inserted the metal ends in a glass of ice water.  The food probe reads 39*F.  The BBQ probe reads 147*F.   :o

The pdf owner's manual says the ET-732 has a 90-day warranty and I know I've had it longer than that so I guess I'll buy a new probe.  The manual does say if I want to buy an out-of-warranty probe they are $12 each, including shipping and handling, directly from Maverick.

ET-732 Owner's Manual for anyone interested.

viper125

Last time I wrote they sent me two of them free. But more interested in finding a cause. I cant afford to be replacing these every couple month or even weeks. Mine was reading over 269 in a 150 smoker. They said any time you get a wild swing its the probe.By the way the price at maverick is now 17.00 for one and 30.00 for 2.
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

That's what my buddy's is doing. Reading that high when he is smoking sausage at @ 150'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

I'm very careful with not letting moisture run down the wire, so I don't know why mine failed.  I plugged the probes into the opposite jacks when they were still in the ice water a few minutes ago and the high temp reading followed the bad probe, so it's not a transmitter fault.

I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase a standard 3' replacement probe from Maverick for $12, including shipping, or get a 6' probe from Yard and Pool for $23.98, including shipping.  And if the BBQ probe failed will the food probe soon follow, meaning should I order a spare and be ready for when it does?

viper125

Well Ebay has the 6' probes for 18-19. Im going to get two this time again. Probably wont be long for the other. Wish i had know this also. I talked quite a few people into buying this product. Now I feel bad.
Inside setup.

teesquare

Has anyone discussed sealing the probes with RTV silicone where the wiring meets the metal tube of the probe?

T

KyNola

How 'bout if I tell you it may not the probes at all but maybe the transmitting unit?  Could be there is moisture in the sockets you plug the probes in.  Could also be the transmitting unit itself.  Don't ask me how I may know this. :o

viper125

No moisture in mine it stays inside and used inside a garage. Besides according to maverick any wrong readings are probe. Also last time it did this a new one fixed it. Now I m not saying im positive but that's what they say.
Inside setup.

TedEbear

Quote from: KyNola on February 21, 2012, 08:42:29 PM
How 'bout if I tell you it may not the probes at all but maybe the transmitting unit? 

Well, as I mentioned in one of my posts I swapped the probes into the other jacks and the high temp reading stayed with the same probe.

fishrman

Same sob story here. Have had the maverick for about 45 days and the chamber probe crapped out. Bought a new one to get it right away but now will be contacting them for a warranty replacement. 

easyridinole

I've had the same problem, first the meat one went out and then the internal smoker one went out.

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

teesquare

Please don't think I am being pushy.....(as I did not see any acknowledgment of what I posted earlier)

But - seriously - the point at which the cable meets the probe *is not* water-tight.......

I find that sealing this with a food grade RTV  silicone increases the life of the probes. I have not had a single  failure since doing this almost a year ago.

Moisture can get into the probe as it comes from the factory. And - this does not mean from immersion in water - it means that the moist envirement we cook in could create a problem for this design issue in the probe.

HTH!
T

TedEbear

Quote from: teesquare on February 22, 2012, 04:59:57 AM
I find that sealing this with a food grade RTV  silicone increases the life of the probes.

Who sells this?  I'm guessing that it is different than the high temp RTV stuff that I can get from Autozone.  I'd be willing to buy a tube and try it out if it'll save me from having to buy a couple of probes every few months.