Wild Hog shoulder

Started by wthr_dude, February 24, 2012, 07:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wthr_dude

I'm gonna smoke up a front shoulder (bone in) off a small wild hog we shot a few weeks ago.  I'm looking for some ideas on time, I have done a few store bought butts and shoulders but never a small wild pig, with not a lot of fat on it.  The shoulder only weighs about 5lbs with the bone in it so I am thinking I should be safe in starting it early Sunday morning and having it finish sometime during the Daytona 500 for some unique grub!!

Thanks for any ideas and I promise I will post pictures of the whole process I am using on Sunday

hal4uk

Dang...  Never seen a whole shoulder weigh in at 5lbs!!!
Musta been a itty bitty fella...

I'd still allow plenty of time to be on the safe side (unless you get some better advice)...
Who knows how long for that wild puppy?
Maybe Ronbeaux?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

wthr_dude

It was about an 80 pounder, perfect size for eating.

Sailor

Never done one of them things so this is just an opinion.  I think that I would allow at least 1.5 hrs per pound so figuring that is around 7.5 hrs of cook time.  Race is listed to start at noon EST.  So if you got it on at 6am EST it should be ready for FTC around 1:30 EST.  A couple of hrs in FTC and ready to munch on 3:30 to 4:00.  That's how I would figure it.  Remember if it gets done faster the FTC will keep it hot.  I have had butts FTC for 6 hrs and they is still hot.  Better to have it done early and in FTC than to have hungry people waiting for a hunk of meat still in the smoker.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.