• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Muebe GB jerky

Started by Sailor, April 07, 2012, 06:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

So, I have made the Muebe nuggets many times and have enjoyed them.  Lately I have been making GB jerky in the OBS and wanted to try another type of flavor.  I gots to thinkin that some Muebe jerky might just fill the bill.  Not sure if anyone else has tried to make GB jerky and I just don't have the time to look thru the threads to see.  Got some GB from Costco today and weighed out 5 pounds.  The meat is around 88/12 and normally I will add 2.5 TSP of vinegar to 5 pounds and roll the meat around to get some of the fat off (Pikeman trick) but did not do it tonight.

The players

Mixed 1 tsp of cure #1 in a bit of water and stirred it till it was dissolved.

Then measured 1 cup of Veri Veri and added the cure water and added 2 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.  Stirred that all up nice and good.  Then hand mixed the meat and now it is going in the fridge overnight to get real happy.

Will shoot the jerky strips on the frog mats in the morning and smoke with Hickory.  Have not decided if I will bast them at 5 to 6 hours or just let them finish.  I may do 1/2 and 1/2 to see how they come out.  If they are anything like the nuggets we will have a winner.  Will post more pics tomorrow.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Keymaster

That should be pretty darned good!!

muebe

I will be watching this thread ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Cool. Will be watching also. So how's the vinegar trick work? How does it not leave a funky taste to the meat? ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on April 07, 2012, 08:56:04 PM
Cool. Will be watching also. So how's the vinegar trick work? How does it not leave a funky taste to the meat? ???

Pikeman posted about de-fatting GB http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25768.0  He used 1/2 cup to 15 pounds There are roughly 8 TSP in a 1/2 cup so for 5 pounds that is about 2.5 TSP.  Mix the vinegar in the meat and kinda roll in and slosh it around in a plastic tub.  The fat will stick to the plastic.  Scrap the fat off and repeat.  I can buy 88/12 for 2.80 a pound and turn it into 97/3 with a little bit of work.  I can't taste any vinegar in the finished product.  Been doin it since Kirby showed us about it  ;D

Sailor

Got the equipment all ready to go

1st rack shot and going in the smoker.

Got 5 pounds shot on 4 racks.  They is a tight fit for sure but after a few hours they shrink up and can be pulled apart. Will be hitting them with 2 to 3 hours of Hickory.  Will post more when they is done , reckon that will be about 10 hrs or so.

pikeman_95

Sailor
I broke it down to 3.3 0z. Soy Vey per pound of meat and if you want to make it spicy add 3 tbs curshed red pepper / 10 pounds of meat. This is just a little hot it you want it hotter add more. I would suggest that you grind the crushed red pepper in a coffee grinder so you get a little better dispersion of the pepper.

Kirby

Sailor

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 08, 2012, 08:04:01 AM
Sailor
I broke it down to 3.3 0z. Soy Vey per pound of meat and if you want to make it spicy add 3 tbs curshed red pepper / 10 pounds of meat. This is just a little hot it you want it hotter add more. I would suggest that you grind the crushed red pepper in a coffee grinder so you get a little better dispersion of the pepper.

Kirby
Thanks Kirby.  Too late to go back and add more Veri Veri now as they is a smokin.  The bottle has 21 Fluid oz and I used about 1/2 that gave me 1 cup so with your calculations I am at 2.1 oz per pound which is shy of your 3.3 oz.  This is a maiden run for me on the jerky so will see how the finished product turns out and will adjust next time.  As for the "heat" I used 2 1/2 tsp of cayenne as I use 1 1/2 tsp on my snack stixs and wanted a bit more heat.  Don't have a coffee grinder  :o

slowpoke

Super,just super.I gotta dig out the GB gun I got for Christmas and try this.THANK YOU.
I got my coffee grinder at the Christmas Tree store in Maine,good price.Cheaper than wal-mart.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Sailor

Been 6 hours since they went into the OBS.  They are taking on a fantastic color and I am opting not to brush on any more Veri Veri.  I can smell the sauce and I am a thinkin that brushing on more will make them sticky and I don't want sticky on this batch  ;D

They is smelling pretty good.

When I shot them in the racks they were shot very close together and after 2 hrs I could pull them apart and flip them.  Lots of shrinkage going on.  That is a good thing with jerky.

mikecorn.1

Those are looking killer. Thanks for the info on the vinegar.

Mike

pikeman_95

This is great. I will be very interested in your results. I am glad you decided not to brush any more on. I like the taste on crushed red paper better then Cayenne. I find Cayenne just hot. I dehydrate my GB jerky until it is leathery and not brittle. I don't know if the dehydration will change the taste much.
Kirby

ghost9mm

Nice job Sailor, really like the color, ya done good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sailor

Just rotated the racks again.  Cut off a little chunk for a test.  They is not done yet but.........We have a WINNER!  Taste is terrific and the heat is just right for my taste.  Not sticky at all and the the Veri Veri flavor is pronounced and was what I was hoping for.  If they keep the flavor throughout the rest of the drying I will be a very happy camper and will make them again just the same way.  Will keep you all posted.  Got at lest 3 or more hours of drying to go.

Sailor

They is done.  Gonna put them in a paper sack and in the fridge overnight.  Gave Momma (official taste tester) a little piece and she gave 2 thumbs up.  Will see how they do after the overnight in the cold box.