• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Stuffing Time

Started by JZ, October 23, 2012, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Got the stuffer set up for the chicken sausage I made the other day.
]

Then the hog casings in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes.
]

While I am waiting for the casings to soften up I got out the breakfast sausage I had in the freezer and cut it into lengths.
]

Then wrapped up in packs of 6 for a total of 13 future breakfasts for the wife and I.
]

Start stuffing.
]

All stuffed. Some Thai Chicken and some Chicken with Basil, sun dried tomatoes and cheese.
]

This is what was left in the stuffer and horn.
]

I put it into the small shooter in the background and shot 2 more links.
]

Then this was left over and got fried up.
]

And after cooking.
]

All vac sealed, labelled and ready for the freezer.
]

SiFumar

drunknimortal

JZ

Kevin A

Looks like you had fun!  :D

How'd they all turn out?
I'm always interested in hearing other sausage maker's opinions & getting feedback on the recipes that either I or another member here has made.
I also anticipate getting a varied reaction due to our own individual tastes ("too hot, not hot enough, need salt, less salt, etc"), but the bottom line is I hope others enjoy making & eating them as much as I do (or did).

Kevin

JZ

Hi Kevin.

This is the third time I made the Thai Chicken and I really like it. So does my wife and both of my adult daughters but not my son (he doesn't like onions). ::)

My wife absolutely loves the Basil chicken and prefers it to the Thai (which she also loves) but I am not that keen on it and prefer the Thai. Like you say we all have different tastes.  ;) Not sure if the flavor profile would have been different if I used fresh basil instead of dried packaged stuff but that was all I could get at the only grocery store in town. Next time I will make sure to get some fresh basil. My daughters haven't had a chance to try it yet but I am guessing they will also like it. They have similar tastes as my wife. My daughters also love the fact that there is not much fat in the sausages as they are more health conscious than I am. ::)

Thanks again for posting the recipes I would never have tried these if you hadn't posted the pics and recipes and these are now my wife's favorite sausages.  ;D

John

Kevin A

Quote from: JZ on October 24, 2012, 10:55:51 AM
Not sure if the flavor profile would have been different if I used fresh basil instead of dried packaged stuff but that was all I could get at the only grocery store in town. Next time I will make sure to get some fresh basil.
Hey John, thanks for your comments.
In my experience, FRESH basil —especially using Thai basil (preferred over Italian)—versus dried, has a more dramatic flavor on the finished sausage. To my tastebuds, the dried basil tends to have a more bitter aftertaste while the fresh still retains some the herbal sweetness. Using dried herbs isn't a 'deal breaker' as you can get good results with either, but my preference is FRESH if I can get it.

Speaking of the chicken/basil/tomato & parm sausage— I had a pound of the meat (mixed) in bulk in the freezer. It never made it into casings.
My wife thawed the meat, added an egg & fresh spinach, and more parmesan into a nice stuffing. Stuffed this mixture into some home made crepes, topped it wish marinara & plenty of grated mozzarella—then baked for an hour in the oven. Presto! Chicken Manicottis! Darned tasty!!! :)

Kevin

CentPaSmokin

Oh man you got my juices flowing they look great. Cant wait to try this :P

JZ

Thanks Kevin. I think you hit the nail on the head. The taste from the dried basil seems harsh and does have a bitter aftertaste.
Next time I am going to use fresh for sure and see if I can get some Thai Basil. I think that will make a big difference.

rajzer

Where did you get the small stuffer?  I have the same big one as you, (looks like the beast from Princess Auto), and always have big patty left over.  Having the little one is a great idea.

sprightlyone

hi
  got some idea of qty`s in thai chickren recipe ??
thanks lyle

JZ

Sorry Lyle, there was a link to the recipe on the second page of the link I provided. Here is the direct link to the original recipe and note the name of it.
Quotehttp://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Chicken-peanut.pdf

QuoteWhere did you get the small stuffer?  I have the same big one as you, (looks like the beast from Princess Auto), and always have big patty left over.  Having the little one is a great idea.

The big stuffer is the 10 lb version from Princess Auto and works great except for the left overs. The little stuffer I have had for years and can't remember where I got got it but I am sure you could find something like it on Amazon or Walmart or a sporting goods store. Sorry I can't be more help.

OU812

All them there sausages look great JZ!!

mikecorn.1

Ditto!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Super job JZ, they look excellent!!!