2nd week with smoker, 1st time brisket

Started by jdhunt0, January 08, 2013, 03:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhunt0

I got my smoker last Friday and cooked both spare and baby back ribs on Saturday.  They both turned out great.  On Sunday I cooked chicken wings and a pork loin.  Again, everything turned out great.  I plan to try my hand at jerky sometime this week.  That brings me to this weekend.  I had bought a 1/4 of a black angus steer and today I picked up the meat.  Ended up being about $2.40 a pound, you can't beat that.  Anyway, I cut the brisket in two so I could try cooking it this weekend.

I have a 4 lb. brisket sitting in my fridge right now thawing.  I have never cooked a brisket before, and I will only have had my Bradley for a week.  Any suggestions?

beefmann

season it  with pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, and ground mustard,,,, smoke with misquite for 3 to4 hours box temp of 225  cook till an it of 195 to 200, after the  smoking process replace the bowl with orange soda  or your favorite soda... then slice should almost fall apart

jdhunt0

I only have apple and hickory so I guess I'll use hickory.  Is 6 hours going to be a close guess on cook time?

beefmann

should be close... if you dont  have a meat thermometer  you can use a folk to see how easy it pulls apart  and go from there ...