1st Batch of Jerky.... WOW

Started by jdhunt0, January 11, 2013, 06:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhunt0

I made my 1st batch of jerky in my new smoker.  It is safe to say it will not be my last.  I bought some pre-made seasoning packets and curing salt from a local outdoor store and had a local butcher slice me some top round 1/4" thick.  I put on the seasoning and left everything in the fridge for 24 hours.  I put everything in the smoker for about 45 @ 155, then used hickory for 2 hours at the same temp.  Then @ 145 for 3.5 hours.  It came out great and my cost was $0.77 per oz, much cheaper than store bought.

Here is a picture of a small sample I brought to work with me.  It's not going to last long.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

OU812

jdhunt0

Thanks guys.  I've got a brisket ready to go in tomorrow.  Looking forward to trying it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jdhunt0 on January 11, 2013, 08:57:02 AM
Thanks guys.  I've got a brisket ready to go in tomorrow.  Looking forward to trying it.

Make sure you empty the water bowl after the smoke and refill it with hot water about 3/4 of the way full. There will be a lot of grease dripping during the cook. Also check to ensure the drain hole remains clear.so the grease doesn't back up an start a fire.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jdhunt0

I've been using hot water, thanks for the tip though.

Smoker John

Looks good I love smoking jerky in the Bradley, it doesn't last long here either
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

jdhunt0

devo

Guess you will be making more next time. Good stuff Ehhh..

SiFumar

ghost9mm

Like real good and like the color...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

JZ

Nice job and here's to bigger batches. ;)

smokinjoe73

silly question, after the 24 hours did you just cut it in thin strips?

deb415611