Mesquite Smoked Chicken Wings

Started by zrlime, April 26, 2006, 12:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zrlime

Begin by getting the smoker warming up to 200F - I use the Redi Check Smoker Digital Thermometer (Maverick Industries, Inc.) with the probe thru the vent hole and hanging approx 1/3 of the way into the smoker.  Leave the vent closed thruout the smoking session - being careful not to crush the cable.  While the smoker is getting up to temp, I prepare my wings.  I smoke 10 lbs of chicken wings (Costco has the perfect size package for a single batch) at a time.  Begin by removing the tips (save and make chicken stock with) and then separate the 2 remaining sections of the wings.  I use approx 1/4 - 1/3 cup of Lawry's Seasoning per 10 lbs of wings.  Stir the seasoning into the wings trying to get them as evenly coated as possible.  I then place the wings, skin side up on 4 racks, make sure there is good spacing between the wing sections and they are on a single layer.

When the smoker is up to temperature, insert the wings and smoke for 3 hours.  I have used Hickory and Mesquite, but have found the Mesquite to be of a better flavor.  When the wings are done, remove and serve hot - either plain or with your favorite sauce.  We normally have 4-6 different sauses available and just let everyone pick their own flavor(s).  If it is an all day feast, we will reheat the wings by deep frying them for approx 30 seconds prior to serving again.

The leftover wings are then placed on a cookie sheet that has been covered with plastic wrap or waxed paper.  Place the wings in a single layer and then covere them as tightly as possible with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. When the wings are completely frozen, remove them from the freezer and then place the frozen wings in a Freezer ZipLock bag.  The frozen wings can then be removed in desired quantities when needed.  To reheat, we deep fry the wings, about 6-8 pieces (dependent on your deep fryer capacity) at a time for appox 1-1.5 minutes to heat thru.  Again, serve either plain or with your favorite sauce(s).

We cant keep these in the house for long - a neighborhood and party favorite!

Hope you enjoy,
Bruizer

iceman

Well thank you for posting the recipe zrlime and welcome. Sounds like your enjoying the smoker. I think someone has some lucky neighbours.

Habanero Smoker

zrlime;

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your recipe and tips.

I once did 10 lbs. of wings at one time, and I said to myself I would never do that again. There was so much moisture produced, that it ran out of the bottom of the BS, and the seasoning on the walls peeled off. The moisture also kept the temperature down, and it took over six hours for the wings to get done. I believed I used Tyson drumettes, which I believe they add a 5% solution to the wings. It look like you used whole unprocessed wings. Do you know if the wings you used were injected with any solution during processing? It would say so on the label. Did you apply smoke for the entire 3 hours?

I would be careful smoking with the vent not open wide enough. Smoke and moisture will back out through the generator, and that may cause you some problems in the future.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zrlime

The vent is partially open due to the cable from the temperature probe.  I will try it slightly more open on my next batch.  As far as the smoke goes, yes I ran the generator the entire 3 hrs.  I will have to check if the wings from Costco have been injected.  I do get some moisture out of the bottom, but it appears that the results outweigh the drawback.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: zrlime on April 26, 2006, 03:38:52 PM
The vent is partially open due to the cable from the temperature probe.  I will try it slightly more open on my next batch.  As far as the smoke goes, yes I ran the generator the entire 3 hrs.  I will have to check if the wings from Costco have been injected.  I do get some moisture out of the bottom, but it appears that the results outweigh the drawback.
There have been many posts of moisture dripping out of the bottom of the door and working it's way under the face plate or through the slot of the temperature adjustment; into the wiring where the thermostate is located. This can short out your smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Welcome to the forum zrlime, my two young boys just love chicken wings so this will really appeal to them. Something else on my list of things to do in my BS this summer! ;)

Not sure about mesquite, I have never used it mainly because I have seen it referred to on the forum as the "devils" wood and it has always put me off a bit!

Any other mesquite supporters out there!? :)
Manxman

IKnowWood

Might try some wings in the smoker some day.  not to many thou.  Course getting wings from "Wings to go" is real good.  Waiting is the hard part.

As far as Mesquite.  I use more of that than anything else. 

For cold-smoking steaks I use it.  For Bacon and for other Beef items.  For Ribs and pulled-pork I use Pecan.

I got 1.5 120 boxes of Mesquite.  I try to keep one 120 in reserve. 

course I grew up with real forest harvested misquite for Grilling, fired the wood to cools then cook over them. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

manxman

QuoteAs far as Mesquite.  I use more of that than anything else. 

Thanks, perhaps I will give it a try. Getting to the stage I need to order more pucks in any case, down to my last few, around 12 maple and 24 alder left and that's it!

Been doing a lot of smokin recently! ;D
Manxman

Bassman

Manxman,
I too am a big fan of mesquite. I love it with beef brisket & pork butts. Never used it on chicken but I would think it would be good.  :P
Jack

manxman

QuoteI too am a big fan of mesquite.

Thanks Bassman, mesquite and special blend are the only two I have not tried but certainly mesquite sounds like it is worth a try. :)

As for Special Blend the only time I have tried it was to condition my smoker when it was new!
Manxman

nsxbill

I like to smoke wings, but as always, many of us do them quite diferently.  I prepare the wings w/tips removed, and doing 5 lbs at a time, marinate in Italian Wishbone dressing in the Reveo Vacuum marinator.  Prior to sealing up the container, I add about 2 Tbsp. of Pappy's seasoning and a tablespoon of Parsely flakes.  I usually do 10bs from Sams or Costco, thawed completely before tumbling, so talking 2 batches.  

After the initial marination process, I dredge the wings in flour and put the wings on my racks, leaving space between the pieces, and usually can put them all in one smoker.  When the chicken is put on the racks, I liberally dust them with Dizzy Pig Rub.  I start the smoker, and let it go to about 275°F.  I never close the vent, opting to leave about 1/3 of a slot open to allow moisture to escape.The racks go into the smoker, and I apply the bisquette du jour...have done apple, alder, Oak and Mesquite.  I like Oak.  I only apply smoke for 2 hrs.

As usual, the smoker struggles to get back to temperature, but smoke only limited to 2 hours.  More, to me, is intrusive to the taste buds.

After two hours, I remove the wings, and plunge into Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce, coating well.  If company coming later, I fire the BBQ and do the ribs a bit before serving to guests.  If they are for me, or to take to event at work, or whatever, I take them directly off the racks from the smoker, plunge into a bowl of BBQ sauce and brown them on the gas BBQ.  I think the BBQ improves the flavor, and it crisps up the coating/skin and makes them so much more palatable.

I serve with three sauces.  Sweet Baby Rays, Blue Cheese Dressing, and Ranch.  Guests take their pick.

I have just started to thaw out ten pounds for pot luck at work on Tuesday night shift.  They will only get to sample 5 lbs of them.  Always a hit at parties and with the family.  Just the right amount of bite, but never enough to make you run for a drink to cool off the spice.  Works for me!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

manxman

Bill, they sound wonderful. Something to try on the new brick BBQ I am currently building in the back garden in time for the summer! ;D
Manxman

MallardWacker

I love everyone of you guys but....MESQUITE?  Come on you wild and crazy animals you.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

iceman

I think I started a bon fire with that stuff once. Burns hotter than Anns temper on a bad day.(And that's flipping scorching hot)!!! :D
Quote from: MallardWacker on April 27, 2006, 09:22:18 AM
I love everyone of you guys but....MESQUITE?  Come on you wild and crazy animals you.

zrlime

To each his own on the smoke flavor  :o  - just seems we like the wings with the mesquite.  I will be trying other smokes as the season goes on - but wont completely go away from the mesquite  :)

As far as the moisture running out - I will open the vent some more and try and let all of the moisture escape out the top and not running out the bottom.  Dont need any issues with the BS down the road from not venting properly - thanks!