Montreal Smoked Meat

Started by Habanero Smoker, April 28, 2006, 07:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Another recipe in development!!

A while ago there was some interest in Montreal Smoked Meat. The following recipe was obtained from the Canadian Food Network site. I have a 6.5 lb brisket which I plan to cut in half. One half will be used to prepare the recipe as is. The other half I plan to cook entirely in the smoker.

Here is want I plan to do with the second half. I may marinade the meat in ½ cup of red wine for 12 hours. Then remove the meat from the red wine, pat dry then apply ½ of the spice mix, let in set overnight in the refrigerator or at least eight hours. I would prepare the meat like I would any other brisket prior to placing it in the smoker. Smoke for four hours at 200-210F, then remove from smoker, apply the rest of the rub, and use Old's technique of placing the meat in a foil boat, add ¼ - ½  cup of red wine; seal foil and place back into the smoker. At this time I am thinking about not marinating the brisket, and just add the wine when I place it in the foil.

By looking at their cooking times, it seems that they only went up to 165F. So I'm thinking of pulling both out at 165F. That is what I do when I make pastrami. Then cut the meat against the grain on a bias; that should make it tender enough.

I am planning on smoking them on Wednesday. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Montreal Smoked Meat
  Yield:  6

Nothing says Montreal liked a Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich! Serve piled high slivers of smoked meat between 2 slices of rye bread with loads of mustard. If you don't want to go through the long process of cooking and smoking the brisket - use the Montreal Spice Mix as a rub on steaks or roasts.

Ingredients:
Montreal Spice Mix

2 tsp peppercorns (10 ml)
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (7 ml)
1 tsp mustard seeds (5 ml)
1 tsp dry mustard powder (5 ml)
1 tbsp celery seeds (15 ml)
2 x allspice berries
1 tbsp smoked paprika (15 ml)
2 x cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (7 ml)
2 tsp fennel seeds (10 ml)
2 tbsp brown sugar (30 ml)
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt (22 ml)

Montreal Smoked Meat
3 lb. beef brisket, with fat on (1136 grams)
1 cup red wine (250 ml)
3 slices double smoked bacon
2 cups wood chips (such as apple, cherry or maple), soak in water for 5 minutes (500 ml)

Directions:
Montreal Spice Mix
Over medium heat, toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds mustard seeds, allspice berries, celery seeds in a small sauté pan or cast iron frying pan until fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. Grind spices coarsely in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Combine with the ground spices with the dry mustard powder, smoked paprika, garlic, brown sugar and kosher salt.
Montreal Smoked Meat

Rub ½ of the spice mixture all over the brisket. Let brisket sit for 1 hour or overnight so flavors permeates the meat.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Fit the rack of a roasting pan into a roasting pan. Add wine to the roasting pan. Put the brisket on the rack. Cover the brisket with the slices of bacon. Cover with foil. Slow cook for 3 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove from oven. Add remaining spice mixture. Smoke brisket with the wood chips in a smoker over low flame according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 to 30 minutes. Alternatively use your barbecue to smoke the meat. Wrap the wood chips loosely with foil paper. Poke holes in the foil paper. Add wood chips to barbecue on medium high heat. When chips start to smoke turn grill to low heat. Put meat on upper part of grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

I started phase one of this recipe, which called for double smoked bacon. I purchased a 3.5 lb. package of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon for Sam's. Right now I am cold smoking it. I am applying 40 minutes of hickory smoke. That's four racks of bacon, I believe there were 7 slices per rack. So that will leave me with 3 racks, or about two pounds of double smoked bacon that can be used in a variety of dishes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tsquared

Hab--that looks like a great recipe. Let us know how it goes with the Montreal smoked meat.
T2

Habanero Smoker

I hope to get to this by Tuesday, but I said that last Tuesday. Other projects keep popping up. If I don't get it done by Wednesday, the forecast for the rest of the week (in my area) is rain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

One step closer.

I just trimmed a 7 lb. brisket. I cut it in half, applied the rub, and placed them in the refrigerator. I will be cooking/smoking them tomorrow. I did not want to put the rub on them this early, but it was the only chance I had to get it done.

With the smoked paprika, and double smoked bacon; I was thinking about only applying 1-2 hours of maple smoke. Any thoughts on the amount of smoke?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

With the double smoked bacon I think it might be best to err on the side of not enough smoke flavor than too much so I concur on the selection of maple for no more than 2 hours ;).
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BigSmoker on May 08, 2006, 06:22:40 PM
With the double smoked bacon I think it might be best to err on the side of not enough smoke flavor than too much so I concur on the selection of maple for no more than 2 hours ;).
Thanks.

About an hour ago I took the brisket that is going in the oven out of the fridge. The smell is driving me crazy. With the smoked paprika, it already has a strong smoke smell, and I haven't put the bacon on yet. I am now second guessing the 2 hours, and now thinking about one. I will let you know how it turns out.

Well! As of 10:00 AM, both pieces are in the smoker. After taking the piece out of the oven, I flipped flopped again and I am going to apply 2 hours of smoke. If it is too much smoke I will blame BigSmoker for talking me into that ;D. Seriously, I think 2 hours is the way to go.  I was surprised that the bacon did not adhere to the brisket. Maybe because it was thick sliced (too much fat?). I was also surprised that the internal temperature was 200F; but the brisket plumbed up, and appears to be real moist. I believe it was the type of roasting pan that I used. The inside is coated with black enamel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Just took the second half of the brisket out of the smoker. I can't believe it took 12 hours for a 3.5 pound brisket cut. The oven cooked one came out of the smoker at 12 noon. I haven't tasted any of it yet, probably get around to it at noon tomorrow. I think I will make a brisket sandwich like I get from a nearby barbecue place. He tops his with melted cheddar cheese and some sweet barbecue sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Well! First I am going to have to retract one of my earlier post, on another thread, in which I stated that one should only use salt. pepper and garlic powder on their brisket.

I made my first sandwich with Montreal Smoked Meat. The first one was made from the brisket that was fully cooked in the BS. Since it was getting late (10 PM), I pulled the meat out of the smoker around 168F internal temperature (I usually take my pastrami to that point anyway). Wrapped it in plastic, and place it in the refrigerator. When I sliced into at noon today, I was surprised to see that the meat was red, such as if it was cured.

This stuff is good, but I need to state I never had the "real" Montreal Smoked Meat, so I cannot say it tastes like what you would get in a Montreal restaurant. This evening I will make another sandwich for the brisket that was prepared in the oven. I will post full details on both cooking methods this evening.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Thanks for keeping us posted Hab. This is all very interesting to me. Please give us all the JUICY details when time permits. :P ;D

Habanero Smoker

Made my second sandwich with the brisket that was cooked in the oven, and then finished off in the BS. I might be getting use to the flavor by now, but I preferred the brisket that was fully prepared in the BS. The oven prepared brisket was good, but not as good as the other. I'll soon be posting the recipe. I just need to review it, and make sure I did not leave out any steps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Here is what I did. Olds; as soon as I find my recipe for cheddar cheese sauce I will post this on the recipe forum.

As with all recipes read the instructions a few times, before attempting to make this. Don't go cheap on the wine. Use a wine that you would also like to drink.
Montreal Smoked Meat Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients:
Montreal Spice Mix
1 Tbsp celery seeds (15 ml)
2 tsp peppercorns (10 ml)
2 tsp fennel seeds (10 ml)
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (7 ml)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (7 ml)
1 tsp mustard seeds (5 ml)
2 allspice berries
2 Tbsp brown sugar (30 ml)
1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt (22 ml)
1 tbsp smoked paprika (15 ml)
1 tsp dry mustard powder (5 ml)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Makes enough for a 3-4 pound brisket.

Montreal Smoked Meat
3 lb. beef brisket, with fat on (1136 grams)
1 cup red wine (250 ml)
3-5 slices double smoked bacon*
6 Wood bisquettes (maple, oak or apple)
*(For the double smoked bacon, I used hickory smoked bacon. Placing individual strips on racks (about 7 strips will fit on each racks; I cold smoked them for 1 hour using hickory. Avoid using tick sliced bacon.)

Directions:
Montreal Spice Mix
1.     Over low-medium heat, separately toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds mustard seeds, allspice berries, celery seeds in a small heavy sauté pan or cast iron frying pan until fragrant. Very few spices roast at the same rate. If not roasted separately, some spices will burn and others will not fully roast. It takes a lot less time for celery seeds to become aromatic, than it does for peppercorns. During roasting, stir frequently, and be careful not to burn any seeds. When roasting mustard seeds, us a lid or you will find your seeds flying in the air landing everyplace except the pan. Shake the pan as if you are making popcorn. Carefully listen for a popping sound (this happens almost right away), then immediately remove pan from the heat. Continue shaking, and when the popping stops you can take off the lid.
2.     Place all seeds (except the celery) in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, and grind spices coarsely. I found grinding the seeds separately, produced a more consistent mixture.
3.     Combine the ground spices and celery seeds with the dry mustard powder, smoked paprika, garlic, brown sugar and kosher salt. Mix well.

Montreal Smoked Meat
Smoker
(Best way to go)
1.   If your brisket is untrimmed, trim fat to about a 1/4" thickness.
2.   Place brisket in a one gallon sealable plastic bag and add 1 cup of red wine. Refrigerate and marinate for 2 hours, tuning once.
3.   Remove brisket from the plastic bag and discard marinade. Pat dry with paper towels, and rub ½ of the spice mixture all over the brisket. Press the rub in firmly; to make sure the course ground spices adhere to the meat. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap, and let brisket sit for at least 1 hour or refrigerate overnight so flavor permeates the meat. If you refrigerate overnight, let meat stand at room temperature for one hour before placing in the smoker.
4.   Preheat smoker to 250F.
5.   Place brisket on a rack, and cover the top of the brisket with the slices of bacon. Place brisket in smoker, and smoke at 200-210F; applying smoke for 2 hours, using maple, apple or oak wood. I used maple
6.   After 3 hours remove brisket from smoker, and add more of the spice mixture on top of the brisket, and gently pat spices in. Return brisket to the smoker, and cook until the meat reaches 165-170F internal temperature.
7.   Remove meat from the smoker, and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator, and let "age" at least one day, two would be better.
8.   Slice thinly across the grain. Pile meat high between 2 slices of rye bread and top with spicy mustard.

Oven
(Time Saver)
1.   If your brisket is untrimmed, trim fat to about a 1/4" thickness.
2.   Rub ½ of the spice mixture all over the brisket. Press the rub in firmly; to make sure the course ground spices adhere to the meat. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap, and let brisket sit for at least 1 hour or refrigerate overnight so flavor permeates the meat. If you refrigerate overnight, let meat stand at room temperature for one hour before placing in oven.
3.   Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
4.   Fit the rack of a roasting pan into a roasting pan. Add wine to the roasting pan. Put the brisket on the rack. Cover the brisket with the slices of bacon. Cover with foil making sure that the foil does not come in contact with the meat. (Note: when I foiled the meat, where the foil touched the bacon, the foil pitted). Slow cook for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
5.   Remove from oven. Add more spice mixture to the top of the brisket. Smoke brisket in a preheated Bradley for two hours at 200-210F, using maple, apple or oak bisquettes. I used maple.
6.   After 2 hours, remove the meat from the smoker, and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator, and let "age" at least one day, two would be better.
7.   Slice thinly across the grain. Pile meat high between 2 slices of rye bread and top with spicy mustard.

This would also go nice with a cheddar cheese sauce, and a small amount of sweet barbecue sauce.

Basic Cheddar Cheese Sauce
7 ounces Whole Milk
1 T Cornstarch
4 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese (1 cup)
1/8-1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
Salt to taste (optional)

In a small bowl mix cornstarch with 2 ounces of milk. Pour the remaining 5 ounces of milk in a small sauce pan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat (do not let the milk boil). When the milk begins to simmer, add the cornstarch mixture. Continue to cook until the milk thickens (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in cheese, Tabasco sauce, and salt (if needed). Stir until cheese is melted and smooth.

This will store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This sauce will separate during storage. Just reheat and stir until well blended.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Thanks for all the effort you put into this Hab. You are one BUSY guy! Time for me to get going on this one.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks.

It wasn't that much work. One of my computers is in a room adjacent to the kitchen, and I am able to record each step, as I go, in my word processor. Then it's just a matter of cut and paste into my recipe software, and on to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

Very Nice.  I'll try this as soon as I can :P :P :P.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.