Re Hydrating Sweet Bread Starter One Cup Version

Started by classicrockgriller, February 26, 2013, 08:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

We wanted to have a Central post for those that receive a Sweet Bread starter so that they will
have a place to go get answers on their re hydration process.

PLEASE REFER TO THIS POST ONLY IF YOU ARE RENEWING A FULL CUP STARTER.
(if we do any updating or add more information, it will be done on THIS page)

After talking with SmokinSoon and Curt, I think we are all on the same page with the process
that works. The thoughts of this process are mainly inspired by SmokinSoon and to him a ....
....... Special "Thank You".

When you receive your starter and are ready to renew it, you should have 3 things:
King Arthur Bread Flour
Bottled Water and Sugar

In a medium glass bowl (so you can watch the growth of the starter) empty your cup of starter
and add one cup of 110* bottle water. Stir to dissolve the powder of the starter. Let sit for 45
minutes to an hour and stir again. If you still have undissolved powder/flakes, then let sit longer.

When all the powder is dissolved then add 1 cup of King Arthur Bread Flour and 1/4 cup of sugar.
Give that a good stir so as to incorporate all the dry ingredients. Let it rest for 5 or 10 minutes and then cover with loose saran wrap or I use those see thru food covers with elastic bands. (or borrow
your wife's shower cap).

After it has settled down take a magic marker and mark the height of your starter line.
Find a warm spot and let it go to work.

I renewed one just a few days ago and after an 8 hour time the starter had grown 3/4 of an inch.

I started renewing at around 1 in afternoon and this is 9 the next morning.

Look at the bubbling on top

After another cup of coffee I put a cup of starter in two different jars.

I let it sit out about an hour more and then tightly screwed the lid on.

Here you can see the growth of the starter in just that one hour.

Also I renewed my Main starter at the same time and put a cup of starter in 3 different jars so
I could make more dehydrated starter and you can see the two different starters are close to
each other in growth.

I would save both cups of starter for a while till you get use to working with the starter. If some-
thing happens to the starter, you have a back up.

You will need to wait 3 to 4 days and then in the evening take your starter out of fridge and allow
it to warm up for a while and then renew your starter.

To renew the starter put 1 1/2 cups of KA bread flour in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup sugar. Mix to-
gether. Dump the starter from the jar on top of flour/sugar and take 1 cup of 110* water and pour
into your starter jar. Screw on the lid and swirl around till jar is clean and pour that into the bowl.

Stir to incorporate all dry matter and again let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir again to blend every-
thing. I usually take a spatula and run around the sides of the bowl to get any starter that ran up
the sides. If you don't, that will dry during the nite.

Again cover your bowl and find that warm spot and tell it good night.

Next morning, take 1 cup of the starter and put back in your starter jar. What you have left is two cups of starter and from that you will make your Bread.

The Starter doesn't live forever and it has to be renewed at least by 14 days or so. If you don't have
time to make bread during that 14 days, renew your starter and save a cup back for the jar and just
dispose of the rest.

Here is a post on when the starter went to Canada and it explains the Bread making process.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17601.0

If you have any questions PM me and I will help.

Also if you want a starter, PM me and I will send you one in the order I receive your PM. It takes about 18 hours to dry out a starter, but I will get you one.

jiggerjams

Tiny Tim

Thank you Sonny.  Link has been passed to my friend who got one earlier.  One question though...she says it's a half.  Would the process be the same, but only using half of the ingredient amounts for the first part?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tiny Tim on February 26, 2013, 09:34:15 PM
Thank you Sonny.  Link has been passed to my friend who got one earlier.  One question though...she says it's a half.  Would the process be the same, but only using half of the ingredient amounts for the first part?

Tim, I believe that starter is probably 1 1/2 year old or more. I would love to have it back just to see if I can revive it. Give her my addy and resend me her addy. I will send her a fresh 1 cup starter. Will start it in the morning and try to get it out by Friday.

Tiny Tim

Okay...will do.  Talking to her right now anyway.

SouthernSmoked

The mad scientist back at it.

Hey..........nice dish rag! 8)
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

classicrockgriller

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on February 27, 2013, 05:49:14 AM
The mad scientist back at it.

Hey..........nice dish rag! 8)

Thanks! I did a Charity "Chili Cookoff" last year and my Sis made those.

42 Teams entered and the "Smokin Monkey Grillin Team" took 1st Place

OU812

OldHickory

Great job with  the write up and the chili cook off.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

SiFumar

Quote from: OldHickory on February 27, 2013, 03:05:18 PM
Great job with  the write up and the chili cook off.

What he^said!  Nice pictures too!

Grouperman941

Rehydrating mine now -- grew almost an inch in the bowl since 5:30 (4 hours).
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Grouperman941 on March 12, 2013, 06:57:29 PM
Rehydrating mine now -- grew almost an inch in the bowl since 5:30 (4 hours).

You are tha Man!

Great growth!

RedJada

Got my starter today ;D But well be heading to Texas in a couple days and will be there all next week. Cant wait to get back and bake some bread.
By the way, how did you dehydrate this stuff?

Thanks for letting me play classicrockgriller.

classicrockgriller

Glad the starter made it safe.

Where abouts in Texas you coming to?

I know the question about rehydrating the starter was
probably a joke but just incase it's not, go here:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31665.msg374049;topicseen#msg374049

RedJada

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 13, 2013, 03:31:29 PM
Glad the starter made it safe.

Where abouts in Texas you coming to?

I know the question about rehydrating the starter was
probably a joke but just incase it's not, go here:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31665.msg374049;topicseen#msg374049

Ill be in the south Houston area, I45 & 610