I are a Farmer

Started by classicrockgriller, March 20, 2013, 08:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Was thinking about a garden this year.

Been almost 20 years since I had one.

After putting a pencil to it just decided it wasn't worth it.

Get a call from the local Lawn and Garden center where I had
looked at tillers. Guy says they had an expo and could give
me a good deal on the tiller that was showed at the expo.

When I got there he said sign here and here and back up to
that ramp.

STOP! I'm still just looking. He said "Sons said to tell you
Happy early Fathers' Day".

I ask if I could just have the $$.

Now I have to plant a Garden.

900 series Husqvarna

Power forward and reverse tines

Tilt steering wheel

Heavy Duty front bumper for running into trees

Says here it runs fast as a rabbit

Going to have to get started fast cause the trees are blooming new leaves

And the oak pollen is already fallin'

Going to use the wide roll version. Had good luck with that in the past.

Wish me luck!

squirtthecat

The Monkey is Outstanding in his Field!

;D ;D

You're gonna need some black dirt..    Come on N w/ the trailer and we'll hook you up.

JZ

You must be one heck of a great dad and you've done a good job of raising those boys. Nice gift!!

If you lived here you wouldn't have to worry about planting your garden yet. We still have snow on the ground and it snowed another 2" overnight. Still haven't seen any earth where the veg garden is supposed to be. :'(

pikeman_95

Your son is no dummy.
He knows that there is no way you can eat all the produce that will come off of your garden. He knows where the extra will go. Have fun with your new toy. I just covered my garden last year with black plastic and cut holes in the plastic and planted what I wanted in the holes. I had more cucumbers then I knew what to do with. I had to use a pickup tool to get them but I got quite good with it.
KC

iceman

What's that green stuff on those trees?  ;D
All we have up here is freeze dried woods right now!
Nice present there dad  :)

BAM1

Nice score Sonny.  I'm sure all the bread you baked, potato salad you made, and meat you cooked probably helped steer your son to this great gift.  Hope to meet him someday and shake his hand.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

classicrockgriller

There are good boys and I know how to work them.

Just talk about things you want and they get the hint pretty good.

For Christmas they got me a Sig Sauer P250 9mm. Started hinting
on that in August.

Thinking on about a 40 X 50 or 40 X 60 garden. I have so much wild
life here that deer and rabbits and other critters will be a problem (if
the garden grows) and I have that much fencing to enclose the area.

pikeman_95

Sonny
I have the same problem with deer but I have found a solution. I mount a motion detector to a post that looks over the garden. I set the sensitivity up quite high.  On a second post just to the side but behind the motion detector I drive a second Post. To this post I mount a good old loud and cheap rummage sale drill. In the drill I have a mix master blade mounted. I stick the blade through about a 10 inch chunk of that rubbery foam that they use to pack equipment and instruments in. I wire the foam to the blade. I then tie a couple of Wal-Mart bags through holes in the foam and cut the bottom of the bags off so they flap and make lots of noise when they spin. I put a small plastic flower pot over the drill to keep the rain and sprinkler water out of the drill. I just let the shaft of the mix master blade stick out of the pot. I have the motion detector set on test so when it sees motion it only runs for 10 seconds. I screw one of the fittings that turns a light fixture into a plugin and this is where I plug the drill to the motion sensor. Deer hate noise but mostly they hate the motion. It scares the crap out of them. All I hear is the sound of the drill for a few seconds and the sound of a deer snorting about 100 yards away. I have done this for the last 5-6 years and they don't touch my garden. No fence to maintain and keep closed. At the end of the season I shut off the drill and let them have what is left of the garden.
Here is a picture of the drill set up. I just use a band clamp with a couple of holes drilled through it and screwed to the post to hold the drill to the post. Lock the drill trigger on and you are set.
Kirby

Sailor

Great idea Kirby!   

Nice rig you got there Sonny.  Plant some Okra .....love that fried up.  You will sure nuf be busy this summer with that garden.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

cajunboudreaux

Heck ya Sonny. Dats a gooden. I did a 6x9 box garden this year. Maters,cucumbers,okra,radishes,carrots and ofcourse. few types of peppers.. You will enjoy that tiller.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

hal4uk

Nice tiller!  Go with Kirby's "Mind Changer".  That's ingenious.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

OK, gonna look for stuff to implament the "Kirby Garden Keeper".

Wasn't looking forward to putting up 20 sections of fence.

hal4uk

Just a crazy thought... (EXTRA FUN)
If you can get some of those silly sleigh bells off some old Christmas ornaments?
Hang 'em off the ends with bailing wire?

Heck, I'd run from it!
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

And a big wagon wheel hooked to a 454 V8 (no exhaust) with strobe lights and auto-firing-nail guns and grenade launchers!!! Heck Yeah!!!
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Keymaster

I Have one of these for the Raccoons But cant use it in the winter due to freezing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHYV6nJksw