Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

Yep, Round two of a cold smoke... colder the better so watching the cabinet and taking advantage of fridged winter nights. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

deb415611

Racing the snow today.........  it's starting already so can't do much ............ going to do some chili --  peppers, onion garlic going in for a quick smoke

Smokin Soon

Rainy day ribs

Babybacks dusted up

A few pork country style ribs

Some marinaded boneless beef rips in cracked pepper and garlic

gonna take a while, rainy and windy here.

Habanero Smoker

The snow forecast really messed me up for today. I had expected it to start mid-afternoon so I didn't use the smoker today. Now it looks like I won't be able to smoke anything until Thursday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thegozzzz

JERKY ;D

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

La Quinta

Hey Consigs...Tri tip...dang I CANNOT...cook it...shoe leather...EVERY TIME....have any suggestions? I know it's a low fire meat...slice against the grain...yeah yeah......but hell I avoid them like the plague...and I love the taste...the texture is my fault I guess..I'm fairly sure if I cooked my leather flip flop the same way I do a tri tip...it would taste the same!!!  ???

Consiglieri

Quote from: La Quinta on March 08, 2009, 11:31:40 PM
Hey Consigs...Tri tip...dang I CANNOT...cook it...shoe leather...EVERY TIME....have any suggestions? I know it's a low fire meat...slice against the grain...yeah yeah......but hell I avoid them like the plague...and I love the taste...the texture is my fault I guess..I'm fairly sure if I cooked my leather flip flop the same way I do a tri tip...it would taste the same!!!  ???

Actually, tri tip is a cut I'd usually grill using indirect heat.  I was trying out a new rub and wanted to see how both the meat and the rub would fare in a smoker environment.  Smoker worked pretty good with the cut; even baby ate up quite a bit. 

Try setting up your grill for indirect heat, sear all sides of the meat on the hot side, then transfer over to the cooler side.  Pull the meat off the grill about 5 degrees lower than your target IT and let it rest for 5-10 minutes under a foil tent before carving.  Carve against the grain.  Good luck.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

I've done it Consigs...done indirect heat...I'm just an idiot when it comes to a tri-tip...but it pisses me off...rubbed, seared, indirect....it's just a brain flatulant for me every time I cook it...  ??? Maybe a marinade to break down the fibers for the "not so smart"?  ???

Smokin Soon

LQ, only tough tri-tip I ever had is when there is not enough heat for a proper sear. My cheapo gas grill would not do it, got a Weber that does much better. Now I am looking at the Char-Broil Red after seeing some posts over at the Big Easy forum. Got some grill marks like Ruth's Chris! I use a marinade sometimes for flavor, but it will have no effect on the tenderness. I will only buy tri-tip from Costco. It's the same quality every time. Lucky's and Safeway, forget it.

Ka Honu

I'm having a "does not compute" problem here.  We used to grill at the beach a lot on a small Weber gas grill and we had tri-tips all the time.  I bought the smaller pieces in the "markdown bin" at the grocery, marinated them for a day, slapped them on the grill, went to medium/medium rare (by touch), took them off and sliced fairly thin across the grain.  Maybe it was the beer goggles I was usually wearing, but they always looked and tasted ono (delicious).

Smokin Soon

Had a couple friends over last night and had the time do do some snacks.

Some ground jerky ready for smoke.

Spare ribs cut down to snack size with spicy Asian hos-en sauce.

Did not get any finish picks of the jerky as it went pretty fast.

FLBentRider

I knew I should not have looked at this post before lunch!

looks good SS!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

WhiteSmoke

Great pics.

My weekend consists of:

Buy stuff for summer Sausage...check
Seasoning the smoker....check...
Make Sausage and start fermentation...check..

Smoke and Test...Sunday is comin'!!!