My first smoked burgers - spoiled forever

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, December 30, 2013, 05:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

As a brand new smoker, I just had to try some smoked burgers.  I ground up a top sirloin roast this afternoon and added some of my favourite spices.  I won't bore you with my recipe, you guys are much better at this and I'm still learning.

I set the oven at 220 degrees and smoked for a little under 2 hours using hickory smoke.  I sliced up some sweet onions and garlic cloves and put them on the rack too for garnish.  The temperature was about - 20 degrees celcius here today but it was real nice to have a remote thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the meat while toasty indoors.  I pulled them off at about 135 degrees and finished them off on the barbeque with some melted havarti until 147 degrees.

These may have been the best burgers I've had in a very long time.  You guys have enjoyed this stuff for years but as a new guy to the smoker, this is unbelievable.  My burgs were about a half pound each, probably a bit too big.  I'm ready to invite the gang over for a feast during hockey games.

Saber 4

Looks good, your buddies will enjoy those for sure.

ragweed

Very nice!  Just wait 'til you're able to put "smoked" Havarti on your burgers.

RedJada

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

beefmann

your hooked, congrats on the burgers, you  will be smoking for a long  time

renoman

Isn't 2 hours with ground beef in the danger zone asking for trouble?

Jim O

Lookin' good !

What's your address ? I'll bring the beers.

Jim O

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

TMB

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TedEbear

Quote from: renoman on December 31, 2013, 07:46:03 AM
Isn't 2 hours with ground beef in the danger zone asking for trouble?

I was wondering about that.  Plus, he said he cooked them to an IT of 147*F.  The FDA minimum recommended safe temp for ground beef is 160*F.

Quarlow

Well he did grind the meat his self so he knows how it was handled.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

watchdog56

Tenpoint5

220 degrees isn't the danger zone. The danger zone is 40-140
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!