Big Bob Gibson's White BBQ Sauce

Started by waycoolcat, May 18, 2014, 05:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

Today I made Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Chicken with White Sauce. First, I smoked three chicken halves 3 hours over apple smoke.

Then I grilled them to crisp up the skin and finish them off.

The last step was dipping them in the White BBQ Sauce. Honestly, I'd never heard of it before, but I always like to try new things. They list the recipe on the Amazon page for this book if you want to try it. It's based on mayonnaise with vinegar. It also has apple juice, horseradish, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. I liked it. I still think my previous decades of having tomato based sauces keep me in that camp. I will make this again too.
I want to be a better carnivore!

mustangmoe

Why are you using tin foil pans in your smoker? This just seems so wrong to me. Maybe I am missing something but let that chicken get all the smoke it can. Those pans are blocking your smoke getting to your chicken.

KyNola

Doesn't look like that chicken missed one ounce of smoke.  I have judged some competitions and been to several more and a lot of the teams regularly put different cuts of meats in foil pans to smoke.

Tenpoint5

Chicken looks good. My team and I just won a Wing Cookoff using a kicked up version of the white sauce
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Yardbird looks gooooood, but I'll skip the White sauce.   Not a big fan of that one
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

waycoolcat

I use disposable pans sometimes for ease of clean up. They have ridged bottoms and smoke does get under there to an extent. Sometimes I put the meat on the top three racks and put one pan on the bottom rack to catch drippings. Its not expensive either, at Sam's Club you can get 30 pans for around $6. Also, I pour in a little apple juice sometimes for moisture. Finally, while I'm not paranoid about a grease fire, I do use my smoker on my deck with a roof overhead.

waycoolcat

Oh, after tonight I thought of another reason I like those pans. I made bacon wrapped Coca Cola Chicken (another post), and I took it right from the smoker to my oven broiler to crisp up the bacon. One less pan to clean.

DaveT261

Quote from: waycoolcat on May 18, 2014, 05:24:39 PM
Today I made Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Chicken with White Sauce. First, I smoked three chicken halves 3 hours over apple smoke.

Then I grilled them to crisp up the skin and finish them off.

The last step was dipping them in the White BBQ Sauce. Honestly, I'd never heard of it before, but I always like to try new things. They list the recipe on the Amazon page for this book if you want to try it. It's based on mayonnaise with vinegar. It also has apple juice, horseradish, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. I liked it. I still think my previous decades of having tomato based sauces keep me in that camp. I will make this again too.

The white sauce recipe is in my Peace, Love and Barbeque book but have never tried it.  This may sound like a dumb question but is it just a dipping sauce or do you put it back on the grill to set it?  All I have is the recipe for the sauce, not how to use it.

Habanero Smoker

The original recipe calls for dunking the chicken into the sauce while it is hot off the grill, and serve. If you don't like that much sauce, and alternative way is to generously brush the sauce on all sides and serve. You can also use it on the side as a dipping sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

The sauce is rather runny so a quick dip and serve is good.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DaveT261

I assumed it was a dipping being it has mayo in it but I did not want to waste a good piece of meat by assuming.  I am going to do chicken this weekend and I want to try it.  Thanks

waycoolcat

Dave, I just dipped each half once, but I put some in a dipping bowl with each plate so if anyone wanted they could dip a bite of chicken.

DaveT261

DaveT261

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 19, 2014, 08:01:38 AM
Chicken looks good. My team and I just won a Wing Cookoff using a kicked up version of the white sauce

Can you post your kicked up version recipe?  I am doing chicken and I'd like to try it. 

Tenpoint5

Quote from: DaveT261 on June 07, 2014, 03:42:24 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 19, 2014, 08:01:38 AM

Can you post your kicked up version recipe?  I am doing chicken and I'd like to try it.

2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish CHANGE TO TABLESPOONS
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 WHOLE HEAD OF FRESH GARLIC PRESSED