1st time smoke in new to me 4rack digital smoker with a pork shoulder

Started by RRL, October 11, 2016, 06:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRL

awesome!! thanks for all the tips

Crossing my fingers that I will have the time to play with the smoker this weekend and give that stuffed loin a trial.

RRL

VS creating a new thread I figure ill keep this one going!

So 2nd smoke ive ever done.. turned out MUCH better then the 1st thats for sure.  the gang enjoyed it. However I think I was 10-15mins too slow on taking it out.

used a loin and unrolled it, stuffed with pre cooked pork sausage.  I rinsed the pork meat mainly to quick cool it so i could stuff it and let it sit for an hour before cook time. (I should of pre cooked the pork sausage well before but wasnt thinking) I base the inside with mustard then put a layer of the sausage meat and rolled it.  Used some local butchers  rub mix on the outside.

The flavoring was perfect combo however the loin turned out too dry in most spots, a few sections where still extremely moist and where amazing but most of it ended up dry.

Next time I may try and do partially cooked sausage meat and either brine or bacon weave the top of the loin. or chop raw mushrooms before rolling it so they produce more moisture inside while cooking.

I cooked it at a 250F setting with apple wood.  Actual temps hovered around 220 - +3F was cool outside and fairly windy which seemed to suck out some of the heat as I left the top breather wide open for the full cook.

I was planning a 4 hour cook 4 hour smoke with a goal of 140F IT and to let it sit for an hour wrapped.

Total cook time was 3hours 20 mins IT reached 145F where I had placed the probe but other spots where starting to read 155F

I should of raised it maybe 1 rack higher ( I placed on the 2nd from the bottom)

Guess over time ill get my cooking times dialed in... its been only getting better mind you im cooking some fairly basic recipes.

Non the less you guys have def helped out tons in the process!

Was my 1st time unrolling a loin,  turned out fairly well evenly cut.

ready for the smoker

After sitting

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

RRL

Quote from: Smoker John on October 25, 2016, 08:20:45 AM
That looks really good

Yea was def decent.  the flavouring was spot on, just wish the meat tenderness would of turned out the way I was hoping.

Oh well over all not too disappointed as it was tasty!

I got the other half of that loin to cook up in the smoker too.. I might do it this weekend at a buds place and see how it turns out

RRL

Heres another loin,  seasoned with same spices as other one, stuffed with spinach and feta...  so far this has been my favorite combo.

1 hour of apple wood and 1 hour of mesquite (I think the mesquite gave it a little too much of a bitter taste for pork) but was good non the less.

250F set cook temp,only floating around 220-230 though, I may try the fire brick idea and see if that helps it get to its set temp.

Cooked to a IT of 140F wrapped and let it sit for 30 mins (usually I try and aim an hour but we where starving)

was nice and moist and the feta spinach combo really worked out.  I originally planned on adding chopped bacon but I entirely forgot to thaw it.

Edward176

Roget

First one looked good.
Second one looks great!
I would definitely eat that.
YCDBSOYA

RRL

thanks!

Trying to decide what to try next!

debating on beer can burgers or a smokey of some sort

RRL

Seems like sunday is my smoke day.... typically always home early enough to do a smoke and take my time getting things done.

This sunday I was a bit short on time so I threw something together half fast for Mondays supper.

Bacon wrapped meat loaf.

Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
ketchup
onion

220F smoker  cooking temp.. cooked until 160F IT  used Hickory pucks

I did have a small sample and it turned out pretty good for a plain jane roll but well see how it is tonight for supper

RRL

well had it for supper, I re heated it in the oven at 350.

We ate it, but def wasnt something we overly enjoyed.   Maybe it was the mixture I used, maybe I should of added seasoning but it had a slight off taste even the bacon wasn't all that great.  Maybe its the hickory wood I used, I don't know.

I also definitely do not recommend using medium ground beef , the bacon kept all the grease inside. Would of almost needed to poke a couple holes in the bottom to let it drain out some.

Will be a while before I try a meatloaf again as its not something im going to be hungry for, for some time.

Habanero Smoker

I know a lot of people who use  chuck 80%/20% for their meatloaf, but with meatloaf I like to use a 90%/10% ground. If I use chuck 80%/20%, I use 2/3 chuck and 1/3 veal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RRL

I just used the store bought ground meat.. no idea what type of cut was used to ground.

I still would like to try out some beer can burgers def make sure I throw in some seasoning and what not with them though

RRL

well this has been my all time fav meal made in the smoker to date....

Large bone in store bought ham.. one of those already brined ones.

roughly 5.5 hours  140F IT  set at 250F  however it seemed to have maintained a temp of around 220ish

3 hours worth of hickory pucks.

I lightly spiral cut it, 1st base was with regular mustard mixed with pineapple juice.

at 120F I based generously with a maple BBQ sauce that I also mixed in with about 1/4 cup of honey.

(I dont know why but im having a hard time posting pictures without making them WAY to big or too small)

Sad to say, I ddint notice the finish pic came out horribly...  shame...

Sunday is smoke day for me!  cold weather or not!