Bird hunters

Started by 3rensho, November 29, 2006, 12:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

Here's something interesting for bird hunters  ;D  ;D

http://www.seasonshot.com/Home.cfm

Hate to think what my barrel would look like after a box of these  ???

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

It's hard to believe that someone would come up with this idea. I might just go out and buy a shotgun to replace my injector ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

First impression was that it was an "April Fools Day" joke!  ;)

Obviously not, someone seems deadly serious about it, excuse the pun!

Manxman

Kummok

Quote from: 3rensho on November 29, 2006, 12:05:22 AM
.......Hate to think what my barrel would look like after a box of these  ???.....

Yes, but just think how good your barrel would taste!

BTW, "REAL" bird hunters use 22LR.....  ;) ;) :D :D

Gizmo

And to think my dad use to get me to trade in the 20 GA. for a salt shaker.  Said you could get a rabbit if you put salt on its tail.  Guess he was years ahead of ammo crowd. ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Brings a whole new meaning to "A Blast of Seasoning" ::) :D Yes, that's right folks. It swirls, twirls, hops, and bops. The new Ronco Power Blast Seasoner! Ask dad for one for Christmas now! :D ;D

Chez Bubba

As neat as the idea sounds, I can't figure out the practical logistics. Spices weigh "x", lead weighs "x to the tenth". Even if you were able to compress the spices under enough pressure to form an equal mass, wouldn't that drastically overspice the meat in which it's located?

If they can't compress it to approximate equal weight, range will suffer, and probably drastically. Shoot me with a shell full of oregano at 10 feet & the only thing you'll do is damage my hearing, unless you hit me with the wad.

Looks to me like some guys with a slick pitch hoping some investor will bite.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Chez Bubba on November 30, 2006, 06:55:32 PM
.... Shoot me with a shell full of oregano at 10 feet & the only thing you'll do is damage my hearing, unless you hit me with the wad.

Looks to me like some guys with a slick pitch hoping some investor will bite.

Kirk
Yeah! There would be a big difference between being shot with a shell full of oregano then a shell full of peppercorns ;)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Chez Bubba

Habs,

Please don't take this as confrontational, it's just that it's Friday night & Anne is off doing a chick thing. Buck & I are bach'en it & frankly, he's not the best conversationalist. Therefore, I have nothing better to do. ;) ;D

I've looked up a bunch of stuff that explains my theory, torn apart a shotshell, weighed peppercorns, counted shot, done sophomorich math...Ugh, isn't it Friday? :D

Facts found:

--46 tellicherry peppercorns weigh 0.1 oz.
--My #5 max load 12 gauge (supposedly 1.25 oz.) weighs 1.4 oz. and contains 237 pellets.
--38 peppercorns will fit into the wad of a standard 2-3/4 inch shell.
--Peppercorn diameter approx 5mm, which equals #4 Buckshot.
--#5 shot diameter approx 3mm, approx 212 per oz.
--#9 shot diameter approx 2 mm, approx 585 per oz.
--Effective range #5: 50-60 yards.
--Effective range #9: 30-40 yards.

My un-scientific, Hoosier-boy-who-failed-Physics-evaluation:

--Shooting a pheasant with #4 Buck would be a challenge.
--It would not however be legal in any state I've ever hunted in.
--The lead shot load has almost 17 times the mass by weight as the peppercorns, yet only 16% of the pellets.
--Effective range based on weight of the charge would equal 5 yards and allow 60 pellets.
--I'm not so sure peppercorns have the molecular strength to withstand being launched out of firearm without turning to powder.
--In my experience, whole peppercorns don't tranfer THAT much flavor unless they are steeped in liquid for an extended time. I find it hard to believe that their "shot" would "melt" into the meat.
--I have heard of some that reload their shells with rock salt for home defense, and I suppose salt would "melt". It might work at close range, but still doesn't have the density to carry out in the field.

OK, I hear the garage door. Anne's back & I better get this done. Thanks for listening to my babble. :)

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

Kirk,

Great post. I need something like that to get me going today. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Good grief Chez, I don't have enough usable brain cells left to think of stuff like that :D Dosen't Anne have some chores your supposed to be doing or something ??? ::) ;D
I'll stick to the salt and pepper shaker I think. :)
P.S. Send ducks.