Indoor Smoking - I mean in your kitchen!

Started by Skipystu, February 16, 2007, 11:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Sorry Toker.  As 10.5 said, my previous comment was not directed toward you at all.

As for smoking in the house, I would be more than willing to try it.  It wouldn't scare me in the least.  My wife, on the other hand has different ideas about it. :)

Toker

I'M not mean  :D just thought you have made a research on my profile and found my very 1ST post that's why i was not sure.  ;D

JT-MO

Cool idea Toker, but I really think most of us on this forum are scared of our wives let alone a simple smell or fire hazard LOL!
My wife would kill me if I tried it in the house, although if I was alone in a bachelor pad... heck yes I would smoke it in the house! Or at least try it once and see how it goes with the smoke vented out the hood on my stove.

My wife would laugh at me just knowing there is a forum about this smoker... she just doesn't understand.
So I just don't tell her, it is my private little world. It's funny though, cause she will be the first one to tell you she loves the food that comes out of that OBS.

Anyways, good luck, and remember deep down we all wish we could smoke in the house LOL! Even if it was some sort of smokeless smoke :o

Toker

Hey guys, i have a question about the venting duct hose to use with it. Right now I'M using a flexible duct hose same as cold smoke setup for driving the smoke outside and I never did hot smoke since installing this setup. Should i be worry about the heat degrees that will come out of the tower to the duct? I mean, if i smoke at 225F or 250F max, would the duct melt or something? I did not take it under consideration before doing my setup. My duct is pending about 13 inch above the Bradley vent and sit on top of a kind of duct reducer 4 to 6 to make sure it is wider than the vent for not having smoke in my kitchen. How much heat can i duct hose take? I have a  4 inches duct fan installed too. What type of duct does those of you who vent it outside the garage taking? And my duct hose length is about 3-4 FT long.

If i choose a flexible duct, its because i would be moving it when not in use. The hose end that goes through the window can stay fix there, but the end that sit on the smoker will have to move. Not enough place for it at this spot when not in use, kitchen too small and that is the only possible spot for doing it inside. THX
                                                                   Toker

Tenpoint5

Francois,
As long as your ducting is metal or foil you should be OK. I would think.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Toker

IT'S the same type of hose material that the cold smoke adaptor one.

Tenpoint5

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Toker

OK thx i feel much safe now that i have a 2ND opinion.

RAF128

That duct for the cold smoke adapter is the same as the ones used for a dryer vent IMO.   I'm pretty sure there's a lot of heat coming out of a dryer.   I know it dries out mice that crawl into the exhaust vent ;).  That's what I used to vent mine in my garage.   I've touched mine while the smoker and you could hold it with getting burned.    Don't think it's a problem.

KyNola

You should be in good shape buddy!

The material you are using for your ductwork should withstand the heat just fine.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

So what you smoking in that kitchen of yours Francois, that has you asking about the venting?

Toker

I'M thinking about brisket. I did not cooked any since last summer and i feel a little rush growing up inside me. It's time to fix it up  ;) and some ribs if the hose hold on. Did not hot smoke since december and i was ouside at this time (my setup i mean).

Tenpoint5

Keep us posted on how it works and take lots of pictures.

Toker

Well...here is my plan as far as pictures goes, i still waiting for a couple a pieces for modding my smoker before i install the fan and 2ND element. Once every things are all fully assembled, i will shop for a decent digital camera to post pictures. Until, i don't see myself posting any picture. I rather not posting any picture than posting too dark picture sorry for the inconvenient.

Captainslug

Sorry but indoor smoking is not for me. Have a read:

Topic: Holy Puck - I almost burned the house down!!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5833.0

I try to remember to do everything.  But like everything else I do, once it becomes habit, sooner or later I either get lazy or forget something. I'd likely forget to empty the bowl or something.  Not sure how my insurance company would take to covering my losses when the owner's manual states:

Section:  When in Use
• For outdoors use only. Do not operate in an enclosed area.

Also in the section:  Basic Safety Precautions
• It is recommended that a fire extinguisher be placed near the smoker. Refer to your local authority to determine proper size and type of fire extinguisher.

I know I have a fire extinguisher (5lb) but I doubt it would handle a fire in my kitchen if my Bradley decided to light up on me. I know I haven't checked with the local FD as to if it would be adequate.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my 2 cents.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID