Indoor Smoking - I mean in your kitchen!

Started by Skipystu, February 16, 2007, 11:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipystu

OK guys .. I have a question for you.

I just got my first OBS smoker in the mail this week and was promptly buried in snow outside! Charcoal smoker could be used but it just to darn cold to be out there tending it every 30-45 mins.

So what I am thinking is to buy a one fan window fan and some vent hosing. Put the fan in my kitchen window blowing outward and attach the hosing from the top vent on my OBS to the fan. Put the fan on low and smoke away. I would think the fan wouldn't last too many sessions due to the heat and the smoke but winter is almost over!

Now I know some smoke and smell will escape from the smoker, but honestly how bad is that? I would think it will smell like a cross between a fireplace and cooking meat. The kitchen and house would smell for a while but I would have to think it is a good smell! Sadly though I have not used my OBS so I am not sure what the actual smell is. I have been using a charcoal smoker till now.

Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas on feasibility? I have seen the garage setup and heard of a couple other ideas with vents but most of those were outside on the deck. I could put it in a room other then my kitchen and close the door to help trap the smell.

I was thinking of doing some briskets with a pork loin on top. So it would be about 20+ hours of cooking time.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks guys

Skipystu

P.S I am trying to reach Chez Bubba to get a three pack of his pucks, any ideas on how to reach him?

nodak

This one is for owstrich he smokes in his hotel room when he on the road!  he would be the master of that.  I am a male and 10+ yrs marriage tells me not to risk it, but the man in me likes the idea.   ;D ;) ;) ;D

acords

I wouldn't run your BS inside your house.  Your asking for trouble IMO.  If nothing else, it could be a fire hazard.  I do my winter smoking in the garage.  It's a perfect opportunity to spark up a Fuente.  
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Tiny Tim

If you're single, and not concerned with being able to tell the difference between the smoke smell coming from the smoker and that from a fire that started elsewhere in the house, go for it.  I, however would brave the weather and at least have it in the garage, or a detached garden shed of some kind.

Wildcat

I would not recommend it and concur with the above.

www.chezbubba.com
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

icerat4

I say go for it let us know what the results are.This is going to be good .Go for it 8)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Skipystu

Thanks icerat! Want to come over and watch the fire?

I wouldn't think tho that it is that much of a fire hazzard. The 500 watt unit isn't really that large and if it could start fires in my kitchen then how can I trust it outside next to my house or under a tree or on grass!?!  ???

Sadly I don't currently have a garage to smoke in or I would! Heck I would love the excuse to light a cigar up!  ;D

I could put it in the basement door and try to pump the smoke out but if the wind blew the wrong way it would force the smoke back into the smoker/house. I would need a fan to blow the smoke outward.  :'(

I could see about an outdoor rubbermaid shed .. not sure the wife would allow that tho.  ::)

If I were to try it outside how much space clear of snow do you think I need around the smoker? A few feet?

Thanks for the input all, just wish it was more promising!

Skipystu

Tiny Tim

space of cleared snow - just enough to get to the unit and so it sits level.  Really, maybe you could build up snow piles around it, but not in contact with the smoker to kind of insulate it.

I'm using a Rubbermaid type (made by Suncast) vertical tool shed for mine, and love it that way (except for the cold walk to the smoker).

icerat4

Na go for the indoor deal.Take a movie and post it here.I think your on to something here. ;D  ;DHell ill drive over and help ya do this.I gota see this.Where do ya like ill be by i will even supply to food and beer.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

NePaSmoKer

I tried that on my stove but the bs is to tall to fit under the stove hood vent/fan.

nepas

macattak

Sparkin' a Fuente while smokin' in the garage - there's my idea of a good time!  I might have to break out my last Chateau Fuente this weekend and smoke a few fatties and some ABT's.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: acords on February 16, 2007, 12:09:11 PM
It's a perfect opportunity to spark up a Fuente.  

Ahhh nothing like a fine Fuente 858 or Opus X while watching the BS and drinkin a cold one. Or in my case a hot chocolate  ::) here in NE frozen PA

nepas

Wildcat

Quote from: Skipystu on February 16, 2007, 01:38:07 PM
I could see about an outdoor rubbermaid shed .. not sure the wife would allow that tho.  ::)

Bet she would go for that vice in the house. :o
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

i show the hotel folks what i got and what im gonna do... i have not asked for permission... i just show them whats  gonna be going down... i never leave the bs unattended... just let it do its thing... trying not to set off the smoke detector or sprinker system...

if it wasnt for smoking indoors... i would not be smoking... fan in the window... range hood to the attic... range hood to the outside... all have worked for me... i just dont let the fan pull a negative pressure on the box and use a wall to wall size roaster pan for the water bowl and i plug into a gfi for sh1ts and wiggles...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

out the window set up...

range vent set up...

water bowl after 20 hours with out door being open...

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

nodak

QuotePosted by: Wildcat 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Skipystu on Today at 01:38:07 pm
I could see about an outdoor rubbermaid shed .. not sure the wife would allow that tho. 

Bet she would go for that vice in the house.

Looks like you better put your wife in the witness protection program or the guys here will be all over her like flies on honey if she goes for putting the bs in the house.  THe only house I would be in would be the dog house if I try that.  She says storing my generator done stairs for cold weather smoking smells!