• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

can't decide which one to buy

Started by ohioan, June 20, 2007, 08:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohioan

I have been reading your forums for several weeks. i have researched so many smokers I have dreams about them...I have been using an offset smoker and old oil drum smokers for years...I would like to go simple...and the Bradley seem like the way to go. The big question is...How many racks of ribs can I fit in? Go digital or Origanal? Where is the best place to buy? Can you install castors or wheels?

Fire it Up!!!
Ohioan
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

standles

Observations from a new owner.

I fit 1.5 racks of babby backs comfortably on each rack.   6 racks  = 9 racks of ribs.   I leave room between each so smoke envelops easily.

I went with the digital.  If I had it to do over again I would go OBS and get a dual temp termometer to monitor one meat and the cabinet temp.

As for mobility...   I just put mine on a roll around tool rack from Harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=92862&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

I plan on enclosing the bottom and adding door/shelves for storage.

Steven

Tiny Tim

Most ribs are also thin enough that you can double your capacity by inverting another set of racks on the original racks.  Also works well for jerky making.

ohioan

Well....the info is great...do you think it has room for rib racks???...I have been tossing the idea...cookshack...or bradey...please help....I have been working both forums...
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5171.msg47925#msg47925

The thread above has a nice look at some ribs in Consiglieri's 6RDBS.  No rib racks required - but they do fit. Give the thread a read just for the awesome pictures. I have used rib racks if below is what you mean.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Oldman

My 2 cents is go original. Especially for an ole-hand smoker such as yourself.  IMO the digital is for the weekend smoker that once a month does a chicken.  If you want a box with no temp swings then the digital is not the way to go.

Yes the original has a little learning curve, but once learned then holding, let's us say 160 F plus minus 2 degrees is not a problem. You could also add your own PID controller.... at this link is how one member created his... PID Controller

The digital also has a time limit of 9 hours 40 minutes and then you have to reset the controller. This does not interest me when I doing 16 pounds of brisket for 18 hours.

Good Luck in your choice~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

West Coast Kansan

Another thing to remember about the Bradley is the fact it is simple and easy it makes doing one chicken on a weekend a doable thing.

Your not handcuffed to the side of a smoker for so many hours you feel like you need to do huge loads for the commitment to make sense.

If you want to do a lot at a time you can.

ohioan

Awsome pics WCK...Am I correct in saying the 6 rack comes only in the Digital?...I was thinking last night, if I get a Bradley what do I do with the extra time while I am smokin'...Sounds like more adult beverages will be involved... One more question...Where is the best place to buy one?
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

ohioan

Of course another question....What is the method of temp control on the OBS? ???
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

sagemt

I went with the OBS and I love it.  I think a co-worker of mine is going to buy one after he tasted some of my pulled pork.  I looked at the other smokers and went with the OBS because I am away from home most of the week and didn't want to have to babysit a smoker during the weekend.  I know that if I had to mess with it more, I wouldn't smoke as much as I do.  Not that I don't like smoking, but I have other things I need to do during the weekend.  I have got used to the temp control.  On the OBS it is a slider on the bottom of the smoker.  This last weekend I put in a pork butt at 10:30 pm with 3 hrs of smoke.  I went to bed at midnight.  Checked it at 7:00 am, and it was done around 4:00 pm.  It fell apart when I took it off the rack and into the FTC.  It came out great.

I guess in saying this, I don't think you would be disappointed with the OBS.  I would buy another one if anything happens to the one I got.  I am lookint into a PID for better temp control.

Good luck and have fun smoking ;D ;D 

standles

Ohioan:

I do not have one so if I mistep an OBS owner will crack me on the head and correct it.

There is a slider that you position to more or less heat.   There is nothing to correlate the setting to the temp but your experience with the smoker.   The thermometers on the Front are notoriously off so probe thermometers are emplyoed by most.   One to monitor meat Internal Ttemp and one to Monitor oven temp.   

You adjust the slider  till you get the desired temp and leave it alone.  after several smokes you have some references marked down to let you know where to place it next time.

Hope that helped.

FWIW I got the Digital to avoid alot of that but ended up having to do it anyway.   The plus to the digital is there is somewhat of a feedback loop of temp to the controller.  If outside temps fall or such the digital increases the heat to compensate.   This is attempting to do what folks with the PID are accomplishing.

Now lets hope I don't get cracked on the head to bad.

Steven

iceman

That sounds spot on to me Steven. ;)

chuck steak

ohioan, I just got mine the week B4 fathers day, I got the Stainless Steel BS and let me just say, smoking for just me and tha wife ( empty nesters ) so so easy. Fathers day weekend was able to smoke plenty for about 15 people ( a whole butt, side ribs x2 and 4 split chix's ).
Let me tell ya this method is wonderful, I can rub meat and let stand overnite, then slap it in smoker B4 I leave for work and when I get home (((((( BAM ))))))) dinner.hehehehe.... wrap tater wedges spiced as you like in foil and they'll be cooked too just add a lill oil and or butter. You haven't asked but the wood pucks run about one dollar per hour of smoke, so it's a perty good deal considering all the choices you have. You can use combanations of wood very very easely with the BS and as ole hand in smoke'n you know the trouble that can be, I'm sure. LOLto be clear, Its chix if we smoke while at work.

ohioan

Love your tape measure chucksteak...Thanks for the info...I wanted to let icemabn know I emailed him about the great tasting sauce I have been reading about...I think I am going with the DBS...Anyone have some input....I still have a 200 gal. propane offsett and a 10' x 4' open pitt and 4 gas grills to work with...once I get going in the fall I'll post some pict from my cooks...The last one in April was for aboput 50m people. 25 racks and 70lbs of chicken...It was a long day...The main reason for buying the DBS, to cut down on some of the work and allow more time for some gratifying adult beverages...LOL
Fire It Up!!!
Ohioan
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan