• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

King Salmon is king today.

Started by kiyotei, July 22, 2007, 05:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiyotei

I did about 2.5lbs of King Salmon today.  I live up in Seattle where Salmon is well...king.  I brined it using Kummok's brine for about 8 hrs.  I then dried it in the fridge over night.  I then put it in the smoker at about 120 for 2 hrs, then about 1 hr at 140, then about 1 hr at 195.  Its a bit hard to get the exact temps recommend using the OBS.  I'll be eating it tonight.  I'll post pics in a bit for ya.  I've only had a quick taste, good but the meat might be a touch on the dry side.  I'll get back to you on that once I eat a big piece.

Arcs_n_Sparks

kiyotei,

Sorry to hear it is too dry for you. Please ship to me immediately and I will re-hydrate with some cream cheese on bagels or perhaps with some linguini in a cream sauce.  :D

Stuff looks awesome........

Arcs_n_Sparks

kiyotei

Well sorry to say its not too dry for me.  It tastes fantastic.  If only it didn't cost so much:((

iceman

Looks real tasty to me. Good job.

Quote from: kiyotei on July 22, 2007, 09:36:16 PM
Well sorry to say its not too dry for me.  It tastes fantastic.  If only it didn't cost so much:((

Kummok

Quote from: kiyotei on July 22, 2007, 09:36:16 PM

It does look tasty! As far as the cost, come on up where we get it for "free".....that is AFTER you subtract the cost of boat/fuel/tackle/bait/storage/maintenance/licensing/etc. Always wierd how our "free" fish, actually costs us about $457/lb!!  :o  ;)

kiyotei

A bunch of the guys I work with fish for Salmon.  One guy owns a big boat he takes up to Alaska every other year for a big fishing trip.  One of these days I will get me some of that "free" fish as well.

tsquared

It certainly is king. (or spring, depending on your locale ;)) Here are 2 that I caught yesterday, 1 31 and 1 20 lber.

Here's the result of 8 racks worth of strips from one of them that I pulled from the smoker this pm. I did these pretty much according to Kummok's recipe with the addition of some crushed juniper berries and fresh chopped rosemary sprinkled on at the drying stage. 

The rest of it was food savered fresh and into the freezer. I just put  10 packages of Scotch smoked king into the freezer (cold smoked ) yesterday that I smoked earlier in the week. The BS is getting a work out. And dammit, these fish are free, or at least that's what I tell she who must be obeyed. :D
T2

kiyotei

very nice.  wow that's a lot of Salmon, alot of work too but worth it.

Carter

That salmon is making my mouth water just looking at it.

We just finished my virgin batch of Kummok's Smoked Salmon and it met with rave reviews.

I'm also under a lot of pressure to make it again.

It's a nice problem to have. ;D

Carter

Kummok

That is some GREAT looking King there, T2!! I'm guessing from the pics, 18-25 lb range ?!?!? Pretty slim pickins' on feeders up here right no, so no more short stopping....send up a few more! ;) ;D

tsquared

Bigger than that Kummok! 31 and 19. The larger one had to be 42 " long but not that much girth so it looks deceptive. I'm not going to stand up on the deck and take a picture of the cleaning table from that angle again--it makes them look small!! Got a 15 lb spring today and we're off up island on Wednesday for a couple of days of solid fishing and crabbing. As for letting a few up your way--I'm sure their must be a few getting by! (Where's my net!?) Hope your summer is going well. Mine is evenly divided between spending time with friends and family, working on our place, and fishing. So far it's been a relaxing combo.
T2

Kummok

Summer's going well (and FAST!) T2. Actually, we don't have summer here.....we only have two seasons, winter and visitors and we have a visitor marathon going this year. We love seeing all the friends and family, but I hope next year's visits are spaced out a bit more...... :-\

tsquared

Quote.....we only have two seasons, winter and visitors
:D
Love it. Much the same here. This week:my brother and family arriving from Calgary tonight. We're going up fishing with them but my partner's got to come back on Thursday to pick up her brother and his wife at the airport flying in from Halifax. The beat goes on...
T2

oguard

T2 nice fish ;D.I have done one load in the bradley and had some sticking issues but it still tastes great.I also jarred 4 1/2 cases with various seasonings(lemon pepper,black pepper and sea salt) nothing beats a salmon sangy on a cold wet day in January to remind us of summer :D.Hope your trip goes well and tight lines.We can't have too many fish making it to Kummoks plate ;D ;D.

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.