Tryed making some ABT's

Started by Curtis T. Hogg, October 30, 2007, 04:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis T. Hogg

Told the old lady I was going to make some abt's and to go to the store to get me some stuff to make them with.  She came back with all the ingredients to make them and I fired up the bradley smoker.
took out the seeds of the jalepeno peppers on 10 of them and left a few seeds in the ten others just to give them some "bite". 
Well, then I stuffed them with some creem cheese but the old lady forgot to get some little smokeys.  Instead, i had some potted meat that i stuffed them with with a little old bay seasoning sprinkled into them.  I also slathered on some dill pickle juice (Thanks Keyotei!) Then I wrapped them in bacon and put a toothpick thru them.
put them in the smoker for 2 hours and drank a six pack.
By that time everybody was ready to eat.  The wifey made a bunch of beans too.
Put them on a plate and served.
They turned out ok as far as i was concerned. 
The wife said they was too hot but I fed her the ones with the peppers seeds.  She felt'em the next day!  Heck, we all were feeling those beans she made the next day :o
My youngest boy got one of them toothpicks stuck in the top of his mouth during dinner but other than that he said they were pretty good.
My old lady was still complaining that they tasted "Gristly" but i made sure i killed all the ants around the bradley before I cooked them.
There wernt as many ants as when i tryed smoking them steaks last weekend.
This weekend i'm going to try some hog that i kilt last year.  gonna cook its shoulder.
any suggestions i'd sure appreciete.
thanks for all you'lls tips!

Duster

Hogg,
  A Boston butt and a picnic ham are the same thing as a pork shoulder, just the shoulder is whole. I modified a pulled pork recipe that was posted on here not long ago (I can't remember by who, sorry) and have had very good results with it.

Here is a weekend pulled pork deal

2@7-8 lbs. Boston Butt – bone-in
1 Large Bottle Yellow Mustard
2 Bottles of Grill Mates Pork Rub (or make your own if you prefer)
3 cans of frozen Apple Juice concentrate
2 12oz cans of beer
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup barbecue sauce
1½ cup of kosher salt
1 Spray bottle
1 Box of Tin Foil
1 Box of Cling Wrap
Internal Temperature Gage

Tuesday evening 

Make brine

2 cans of frozen apple juice
2 12 oz cans of beer
¼ cup of molasses
¼ cup of brown sugar
¼ cup of preferred rub
¼ cup of barbecue sauce
1½ cups of kosher salt
21 cups of water

( preferred rub is just that, whatever seasonings you like in a pork rub, I like brown sugar, cayenne pepper, tyne, Basile, onion powder, and garlic powder.)

Combine in a plastic cooler (12 pack style) apple juice, beer, and 17 cups of cold water. In a large saucepan combine 4 cups of water, molasses, brown sugar, rub, barbecue sauce, and salt. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Once all ingredients have dissolved in the water with the exception of maybe some spices in the rub then pour this into the cooler with the other mixture and stir. Once brine cools place butts directly into the brine and place a large sealed bag of ice on top of them to make sure they do not float up, they must stay completely submerged. The ice will help keep them cool but make sure the water from it melting dose not leak into the brine. Let them set in the brine somewhere around 48 hours.

Thursday evening
1. Pull butts out of brine and rinse off under running water then pat dry
2. Slather yellow mustard all over the Pork Butts
3. Coat Butts with genourse amount of Pork rub
4. Double wrap in plastic Cling Wrap
5. Put in fridge over night

Friday at around 4:00 p.m.

1. Remove butts from fridge and remove wrap.
   Coat butts with more Pork Rub.
2. Let butts sit 1-2 hours at room temperature and preheat the smoker around 210 degrees.
3. Start the smoker with 6 hours (20 briquettes) of whatever smoke you will use
4. Place butts in middle of the smoker fat side up and the larger one lower. Insert your temperature gage into the middle of the lower, larger butt.
5. Heat the smoker to a temp of 210 degrees with top vent at least ½ way open. Shut the door and wait until the butts has been smoking for three hours
6. after they have had 3 to 4 hours of smoke (about 8 or 9 pm) Open the door and change the water in the bowl and spray apple juice all over the butts. 
8. When smoke is done at the 6-hour mark (about midnight by now) change the water in the bowl and then spray the apple juice on the butt again.
9. Shut door and GO TO BED!!
10. At around 7-8 a.m., check the temperature.  If it is not 195 degrees, do not remove.  Spray some more apple juice on the butt and wait until it reaches 195 degrees. (Approximately 13 to 16 hours)
11. When the meat temp reaches 195 degrees, remove the butts from the smoker and spray again with apple juice. Then wrap them in foil and place a bath towel around them and place them in a cooler to let rest and stay warm.
12. Wait at least two hours to take the butt out of the cooler and foil then shred with a fork. (The butts can sit in the cooler and stay hot up to 6 hours till you are ready to eat.)

Hogg, I don't know how big your shoulder is but I should mention that smoking anything larger than 20 pounds that has not been cured is considered unsafe do to the uncooked food staying in the danger zone temp range too long.