First Time Success

Started by dennbq, November 05, 2004, 02:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennbq

Just got my new BS this week and took it for a trial run yesterday.  Before getting into that, I should tip my hat to Kirk at Chez Bubba.  I got the smoker, Bubba pucks, cover etc. with no hassle and  on the promised date.  Also had a chance to talk some football and smoking with Kirk.

I did ribs for my trial run, and I was really surprised at how well they turned out for my first try in a Bradley.  They were just falling off the bone and very tasty - I think the best I've ever had.

Nothing original about my method or recipe.  I kind of combined some things I picked up from Steve Raichlen's books along with some tips from this forum.  I soaked the ribs in apple cider with a couple of squeezed lemons for 6 hours.  Then I applied a homemade rub and wrapped them in plastic wrap overnight.

For smoking, I put the obligatory bacon strips on the top rack and loaded the next two racks with ribs.  Smoked with hickory for 4 hours, emptied the bowl and spent chips and continued to cook for another 2 hours.  Took the ribs off and wrapped in foil and towels for another hour.  Then I heated up some of my homemade sauce to apply to the ribs.  The sauce I make is a knockoff of a sauce they use at a famous rib place in Cincinnati - The Montgomery Inn.  Many years ago a Cincinatti newspaper had published a recipe for their version of the Montgomery Inn's super secret sauce.  It comes out pretty close.

The one thing I need to improve on is the temperature control for the non-smoking part of the cooking process.  Even though the ribs were outstanding, they weren't as hot as they could have been.  I think that's because I let the temperature drop to 150 during the last hour.  After I get my Maverick this week, I won't let that happen again.

BigRed

Denbq!

Would you be so kind as to share your Montgomery Inn sauce recipt?
Ihave eaten there several times and truely love it!

BigRED

dennbq

Big Red,

Glad to share the Montgomery Inn recipe.  I guess I should repeat that this is a knockoff from a newspaper to avoid any copyright infringements:
24 0z Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Onion chopped
half cup taragon vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
half teaspoon garlic salt
Blend all ingredients in a blender
Warm the sauce before applying to ribs (goes good on chicken too)
If grilling, only apply for last ten minutes or it will burn.  If smoking (is there really any choice?) apply warm sauce to ribs just before serving.

I think you'll find this a pretty close approximation.  Let me know what you think when you use it.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dennbq</i>
<br /><font color="red"><font size="2"><b>obligatory bacon</b></font id="size2"></font id="red"> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Humm, I would have to think about that.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...