Pizza!!

Started by deb415611, October 21, 2008, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta on October 22, 2008, 09:51:36 PM
Deb...Deb...Deb...I bow to you...total awe on the pizzas my only fellow chick friend on here....I am also curious about the cross hatched baking platforms? Or is that a cooling rack? I usually do pizza on a stone...did you do those in the oven? Grill? Please pizza woman...give me the secrets??? Or just PM so the guys don't get them!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D I'm kiddin guys...really ...swear....  ::)

LQ -  they are pizza screens.  Usually, I only use them as racks & cook on my stone but those were cooked on the screen in the oven.  I was running behind the dough was more than ready & I didn't have an hour to heat the stone.   The bottom isn't as good as if it were done on the stone but still better than any of the pizza places around here. 

One of the secrets is to get the oven as hot as it will go & to let the stone preheat.  If you can plan ahead & use a dough recipe that has at least an overnight rise (more time = more flavor)

I have done pizza on the grill but it's hard to get the top cooked the way it should be :

Must get to work

Deb

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on October 22, 2008, 06:33:40 AM
debs, looks terrific!!! I use pizza dough from the italian bakery near(25 miles) me. Great fresh dough, saves alot of time. I never use the supermarket stuff, horrible after taste. Anyways, yours looks great!!! :)

HCT,

Italian bakery??  25 mi in which direction? 

Deb

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 22, 2008, 02:10:41 PM
Fifty pounds, that a lot of flour. I was thinking of trying their Perfect Pizza Blend, but the SL may work better. I may buy both, I have not seen either flour blends in my area.

Habs - I haven't tried the perfect pizza blend, let me know  what you think.  My understanding is that it is a lower protein flour while KASL is in the opposite direction.  My preferred recipe uses KASL (the pizzas in the beginning of the post were KA bread flour)

Deb

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

westexasmoker

Deb,

What kind of stones are those?  I have got to get me some!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

If you go to the King Author website, I believe they have a special recipe for pizza dough that will be cooked on the grill; at least it was sent out in one of their newsletters. I haven't had time to read it yet. Most recipes for pizza on the grill call for you to cook the dough on one side flip it over when slightly golden brown, then apply your toppings.

I'll let you know how the Perfect Pizza Blend is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

WTS,

Unglazed quarry tiles.  I got them at Home Depot - they are cheap - I think they were thirty cents a piece for the 6"x6" (a couple years ago). Be sure to get unglazed.  

I have a fibrament stone in my oven - it covers the bottom rack & lives there.  I love it.   they also sell stones for the grill (actually is the stone with a metal tray underneath)    Here is the link to their website   http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php     If I were going to do alot of pizza on the grill I'd probably get one.    

Deb  

deb415611

Habs,

I saw that recipe too.  I have done it that way, but not for many years.   I know that is what most people think of when "grilled pizza" is mentioned. 

Deb

westexasmoker

Thanks Deb!

I'll be a Home Depot this weekend and will look, can I use these in the house oven?  The only pizza I've done on the grill was directly on the grate, I think recipe came from The Barbecue Bible and is quite tasty, but yours look soooo good!  The kids always like pizza/calzone night!

C

Buck36

KASL = King Arthur Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour....correct?

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!

I have made pizza after pizza and none have come out like I wanted. I have been reading pizzamaking.com for the past hour and I am blown away by the information. I have basically been doing everything wrong at every step. My impatience has been my downfall, the dough prep, heating the stone, etc.

I love that I found this out on our Bradley site too......a wealth of information here.

Thanks again

beefmann

Quote from: deb415611 on October 23, 2008, 05:46:59 AM
Quote from: La Quinta on October 22, 2008, 09:51:36 PM
Deb...Deb...Deb...I bow to you...total awe on the pizzas my only fellow chick friend on here....I am also curious about the cross hatched baking platforms? Or is that a cooling rack? I usually do pizza on a stone...did you do those in the oven? Grill? Please pizza woman...give me the secrets??? Or just PM so the guys don't get them!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D I'm kiddin guys...really ...swear....  ::)

LQ -  they are pizza screens.  Usually, I only use them as racks & cook on my stone but those were cooked on the screen in the oven.  I was running behind the dough was more than ready & I didn't have an hour to heat the stone.   The bottom isn't as good as if it were done on the stone but still better than any of the pizza places around here. 

One of the secrets is to get the oven as hot as it will go & to let the stone preheat.  If you can plan ahead & use a dough recipe that has at least an overnight rise (more time = more flavor)

I have done pizza on the grill but it's hard to get the top cooked the way it should be :

Must get to work

Deb

Deb... looks great... and the  pizza as well... bet it was  fun to do as well..  keep up the good  work

deb415611

Quote from: westexasmoker on October 23, 2008, 03:45:20 PM
Thanks Deb!

I'll be a Home Depot this weekend and will look, can I use these in the house oven?  The only pizza I've done on the grill was directly on the grate, I think recipe came from The Barbecue Bible and is quite tasty, but yours look soooo good!  The kids always like pizza/calzone night!

C

WTS,

Yes you can use them in the house oven.  I never have but have read that people do.    they break easier than a pizza stone but they are cheap so you can replace them.

Just can't use them with mesquite ;D

Deb

deb415611

Quote from: Buck36 on October 23, 2008, 03:53:52 PM
KASL = King Arthur Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour....correct?

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!

I have made pizza after pizza and none have come out like I wanted. I have been reading pizzamaking.com for the past hour and I am blown away by the information. I have basically been doing everything wrong at every step. My impatience has been my downfall, the dough prep, heating the stone, etc.

I love that I found this out on our Bradley site too......a wealth of information here.

Thanks again

Buck,

Yes, KASL = King Arthur Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour

Pizzamaking.com is a great site.  Like here there are no stupid questions.

Deb

westexasmoker

Hey Deb....Where does one get a pizza stone from a local store??  Like Kmart, Wally World??  Or is that an online order thing?

C

La Quinta

Pizza grill stones (inexpensive)...."You just can't use them with mesquite"....PRICELESS!!!!  ;D   :D  :D  :D