Pizza!!

Started by deb415611, October 21, 2008, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Quote from: La Quinta on October 23, 2008, 05:18:50 PM
Pizza grill stones (inexpensive)...."You just can't use them with mesquite"....PRICELESS!!!!  ;D   :D  :D  :D

Oh you would be surprised my dear....I can messy wood up anything!  ;D  I did find another use for those hickory pucks.......door stops, they work very well!   ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

deb415611

Quote from: westexasmoker on October 23, 2008, 04:46:31 PM
Hey Deb....Where does one get a pizza stone from a local store??  Like Kmart, Wally World??  Or is that an online order thing?

C

I got mine online and if I needed another one would buy the same one again - I don't think these are available in retail stores.   I have the 15x20   http://www.bakingstone.com/   I use for pizza and bread baking.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wally World or K-mart have them,  I know that Linens N things does (but they are going out of business).  I'm pretty sure that amazon has them also.  Most of the ones in the retail stores are thinner than the one that I have.    

Deb

westexasmoker

Once again thanks Deb!

We have a linens n things  (need some more sheets anyway.....leave me alone)  :D , I'll go check it out!  So if thinner are they gonna break like the quarry tiles at a certain degree within the oven?  Otherwise the bakingstone site seems like a better plan!  Just don't do pizza that often anymore, kids grown up and moved, but now and again we want pizza!

C

beefmann

Quote from: deb415611 on October 23, 2008, 04:22:11 PM
Quote from: Buck36 on October 23, 2008, 03:53:52 PM
KASL = King Arthur Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour....correct?

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!

I have made pizza after pizza and none have come out like I wanted. I have been reading pizzamaking.com for the past hour and I am blown away by the information. I have basically been doing everything wrong at every step. My impatience has been my downfall, the dough prep, heating the stone, etc.

I love that I found this out on our Bradley site too......a wealth of information here.

Thanks again

Buck,

Yes, KASL = King Arthur Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour

Pizzamaking.com is a great site.  Like here there are no stupid questions.

Deb

as a teacher in high school taught me loooooooooooong ago the only stupid question is the one that doesent get asked

Deb keep up the good  work

Beef

Habanero Smoker

Granite also makes a great pizza stone. If any one lives by a contractor that installs granite counter tops you may be able to get polished scraps from them. The sections they cut out for the sink openings are suppose to work great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

WTS,

The thickness of the ones at Linens n things would be between the quarry tiles and the bakingstone.com stone.  They would work great for pizza once in awhile.  Plus,  you might be able to get a great deal since they are going out of business.  I plan on going this weekend to see if I can get a meat slicer.  Last I heard the prices were only up to 30% off but I imagine they will discount stuff more soon so that they get rid of stuff.

Deb

Habanero Smoker

I was just at Linens n Things in Kingston. I was looking for pizza stones, and grated or perforated pizza pan. That store didn't have any. The mark downs for kitchen equipment is not that much, only 10%. The greatest discounts are on in-stock electronics, and Sharper Images brand products (SI went bankrupt in February).

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

I think I'll give it a week or so before I go.  I imagine at some point they will discount things more. 

I have never seen the screens at a retail store.  I bought them at a restaurant supply store that is open to the public (one of the few places I actually enjoy shopping at).  I have seen the perforated ones but I can't remember where. 

No pizza this weekend for us,  I need to take the Big Easy out of the box! 

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

Monitor it closely, by the time they disount further your choices will be limited. The Kingston store was quite crowded. Half the people were doing a lot of early Christmas shopping, the other half was just comparing prices. I was hoping the Bed Bath & Beyond was going to try to under sell them, but they didn't have any major sales.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Habs,

Thanks, I"m going over at some point today.  I noticed that there is a big sign on the building when I was coming home from the gym this morning.  It's close by so I can check mid-week too.  Not that I really need anything....

deb

westexasmoker

Hey Deb,

No pizza this weekend......So did you break out the big easy???

C

deb415611

Just posted round 1 of the Big Easy in New topic thread

seemore

Hi!  Mrs. Seemore here.  Deb, I made this pizza last Friday night.  I am not accomplished with flour and yeast, so I made a dough from a pizza mix.  Although the crust was thin - which is not how Scott and I like it - it was good nonetheless.
The red onion complemented the smoky pulled pork, and with Ice Man's sauce, it was DA BOMB!
We even had leftover pizza for breakfast this morning.  After heating it up, we added a little more of Ice Man's sauce to it. 
One of these days - or years the way time seems to be flying by - I am going to get my bread and pizza-crust making skills down, and make a real homemade dough to go with this pizza!!!
Thanks for the FANTASTIC recipe!!!   8)

deb415611

Welcome Mrs. Seemore!

I'm glad you liked it.  It was the first time that I had made it and I was pretty happy with it. 

Other smoked  pizzas that I want to try are :
-same thing as the pulled pork but using chicken
-the veggie pizza with some smoked chicken breast
-anything with some smoked cheese

Deb

Habanero Smoker

I have made pizza with smoked cheese using smoke mild cheddar, smoked pepper jack; mixed with a little mozzarella and it came out great. Almost as good as grilled smoked cheese sandwiches.

I
         don't
                   inhale.