• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boneless Duck Breast ideas wanted

Started by KyNola, December 23, 2008, 01:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I have a friend who kills a lot of ducks and always "breasts them out" so that you simply have a boneless skinless duck breast filet much like a chicken breast filet.  He is more than willing to supply them to me if I will smoke them and split them with him.  Anyone have any ideas on how to prep and smoke them?

Gotta love free breasts don't you?
             KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Strange I was just looking at the following recipe, and thought about cold smoking for about 40 minute to an hour then cook them following the recipe.

Ducketta.

I would stuff the breast before smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Wow!!, that looks mighty good!!  I have a whole duck and a leg of lamb in the freezer and I am inspired.

Brad

Habanero Smoker

Car 54;

I couldn't agree more. I was ready to get in my car and purchase the ingredients so I could cook it tomorrow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

As much as this seems like cannabalism to me, hokey cats does that look good!

I would agree with Habs on the cold smoke, then cook as stated.

Oh I've really gotta bookmark that site.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Buck36

I have friends that do duck breast just like the Bacon Wrapped Chicken in the Bradley recipe except they use pepper jack cheese. I haven't tried them yet but they swear there is no better way.

pensrock

SD, its good to hear from ya. I thought someone caught up to you and now you were going to be dinner.  ;D

That recipe does sound really good.

Smoking Duck

If I thought I could make a long career of it, I'd be selling body parts, Pens  ;D

I have definitely bookmarked this thing!

KyNola

Thanks for your ideas guys.  Just received 12 buck breast filets.  Time to figure out what I want to do first.  Will report back if you're interested.

KyNola

smokeitall

I was going to do some similar to another recipe on here.

Cut fillet in half long ways so that the breast is thin.  Cover with ham and cheese, roll, and then wrap in bacon and smoke.

I also have a buddy that has a recipe that he just loves (I haven't tried it yet).  I just emailed him for the recipe and when he sends it I will post here for you.

KyNola

Smokeitall,
Thanks much.  I just found a website called waterfowlzone.com  It has some neat recipes including a corned duck breast fillet where you brine the breast fillet in a Morton's TenderQuick brine for a day or so.  Gonna try that and then smoke it.  Hoping it will come out somewhat like a pastrami.  Not exactly sure what IT to take it to.  Anyone have any suggestions?

KyNola

Smoking Duck

I would think that if it's cured, you could probably take it to the same IT as CB which I take to 140-142.  However, I'd wait and see what Habs says as he's the real expert when it comes to IT of this sort of stuff.  I would imagine it has a similar thickness to a pork tenderloin; maybe a smaller diameter, but somewhat close.

If you think of it, KY, take some pics...that is one project I'd really like to see.  Got a friend with a bunch of duck breasts and he's looking for something unique to do with them...this could be it.

Thanks, as always,

SD

KyNola

SD,
140-145 was the range I was thinking as well.  They don't have any fat nor skin on them so I was wondering if that would dry them out or not.

You are going to keep on until you force me to take the time to learn how to post pics aren't you? ;)  I know the instructions are posted in FAQ section.  I just haven't taken the time to go over them.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

For pics of the duck breasts, I'll drive down to KY and show you how to do it.  Believe me, if a computer simpleton like myself can do it, anyone can do it.

Or, if you want, PM me and I'll walk you through the process over the phone.  I'd really like to see them, if it wouldn't be too much of a problem.  I wonder if the introduction of bacon on a top rack of the bradley wouldn't help while doing the duck breasts in the Bradley....they are very lean unless the skin has been left on (but if curing, you'd probably want to skin the breats.

Your friend with no computer knowledge,

SD

KyNola

OK Duck, you win.  I have opened an account at photobucket.  When I start the process of brine curing the duck breast fillets and then smoking them, I will take pics, figure out how to load them to photobucket and then on to a post on this forum.  You may get a phone call!!!

Gotta admit, I'm interested in trying the corned duck recipe and see how it turns out.  If it's worth a darn, I'll post the recipe.

KyNola