Cooking Hamburger jerky in a DBS

Started by AggieBQ72, December 30, 2008, 09:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AggieBQ72

I want to dry/smoke some hamburger jerky in my DBS this weekend.    First, any great homemade recipies would be appreciated....and second, what temp and how long to 1) smoke and 2) dry?  What determines when the jerky is ready and avoid over/under drying?

pensrock

Hi Aggie,
  I have made gnd venison jerky in the past but never in my Bradley so I'll defer recipes and timing questions to others here more seasoned in this department than I.
  The way I can tell if the jerky is finished is when it feels firm but is still flexable. In other words it should not snap in half when you check it. If it breaks then IMHO it is over done. It should be similar to the store bought jerky in feel.
pens

armpower

i have made ground antelope,  the recipie is simple, i use high mountain seasoning, green box.  and add brown sugar, garlic and ground red and white peper to taste.    i also use a combination of soy and wichisier sauce.    sorry for the spelling i have never found spell ck on this.   the instructions on the box are what i follow with one major exception,  they call for way to much water.  use enough to get it well mixed but if you use what is called for you have soup.  i cover and refrigerate for 24hrs then run thru the jerky shooter.  i use apple wood and smoke for about 4 hrs at 180-200.  you need to rotate the racks at least once, top to bottom and front to back.

it is hard to tell done if you are used to a dehydrator, it is just different.  the meat should be flexable not tearing or breaking, and if you use the s&w mixture it will be kinda sticky.  in my opinion the sticky is ok because the taste is great.

hope this helps, i have never been the one to give advice here i am always asking ;D

again sorry for spelling and typing

happy new years

josbocc

Aggie,

I have to agree with armpower, Hi-Mtn seasonings are the way to go.  Gander mountain carries them, or you can order directly from their web-site.  I've done somewhere from 600 - 800 lbs. of ground meat in the past three years, all with Hi-Mtn spices.  Nice thing about them is that they're really easy to use, and you can doctor them up if you want.  When they call for water, I've substituted Teriyaki sauce, Apple juice, and even Canadian Whiskey ;D.  You can also add some extra crushed red pepper, or liquid smoke, depending on your personal taste preferences.  Hi-Mtn makes about a dozen different flavors of spice packs for jerky.

As far as the smoking part goes, I use a LEM 10 tray dehydrator.  I have placed some ground meat jerky into my DBS6, but only to add the smoke flavor for about 2 hours, then finished it in the dehydrator.  Here's what I do know about jerky though.  Be cautious about too much heat.  Armpower has done it, so I won't second guess, but I have always dried my jerky at about 155 -160 degrees.  You want to dry it, not cook it.  One thing is for certain, you will need to rotate your trays every one to two hours to achieve a consistent texture (not too dry, not too moist).  As far as how you can tell when it's done, the other guys have got it right on..., firm but not breakable.

Best of Luck, and let us know how you make out.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Yes you can do any type of ground jerky in the BS. Lots of forum members use HM . I have a friend who works for HM, i dont like it cuz.........well just cuz. Been smokin and jerky making since i was 17. Been stuck on making sausage/snack stix lately  ;D

My own mix is better.

let us know how it turns out.

nepas