I have some questions!!!

Started by RookieSmoker, January 08, 2005, 04:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RookieSmoker

I purchased my BS for a Christmas present this past year.  So far I've smoked 8 lbs. of jerkey, assorted cheeses, and a Boston butt.  All of which were incredible.  I thought I would give a brisket a try this weekend.  I bought a 12 lb. brisket trimmed some of the fat but not much.  Used the provided recipe refrigerated over night and let it set out for an hour before putting in the smoker at 5:30am.  I went hunting got home about 9:00.  The table that my smoker sits on had about a pint of brisket juices on it.  I opened the door and more came pouring out.  None of the juices were in the drip pan but all over the bottom of the smoker.  Same thing happened with my Boston butt.  What am I doing wrong.  I've got the drip pan under the bowl of water directly under the drip tray but it's completely dry.  I also checked the temp of the brisket using a probe thermomter and it reads 180 deg F.  And while inserting the thermometer it feels tough as a boot.  I have a digital thermometer monotoring smoker temps and it was reading 202 before I opened the door.  Is this brisket salvagable and is there something that I can do to prevent the flooding of the juices out onto my table and patio?

nsxbill

You have to have the top vent opened 1/4 to 1/3.  I suspect this is your problem.  Salvage?  Don't know.  My recent brisket was great.  All the juices maintained.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

RookieSmoker

I went back out and the temp was 224 so I turned it down.  I came back and it was 240 I turned it off and opened the door and the heating element is glowing red.  I pulled the brisket and wrapped in foil and put it in the oven.  Came back to the smoker and it was still glowing red hot even with the slider in the off position and the door being open for five or so minutes.

Cold Smoke

Rookie- I agree with what NSXBill suggests- I have had the same happen if the vent is not opened some to release some of that moisture. The moisture builds up and drains along the walls, and door of the unit thus by-passing the bowl and drip tray. Makes a mess.

I'm not sure why the brisket would be tough if you haven't trimmed the fat off [?] Doesn't sound likes it's overcooked if it's at 180- some leave it reach 190 or so and usually super tender.

[ <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I went hunting got home about 9:00.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I assume that's 9:00 PM- that would sound about the right amount of time it would take for a brisket that size to get to that temp.

quote]Came back to the smoker and it was still glowing red hot even with the slider in the off position and the door being open for five or so minutes.[/quote]

Sorry- can't help you here either. I've never really bothered to check the heat element to see if it still glows after turning it off. Maybe it takes a while to cool down?? Just a guess...

Hope the hunting was successful and the brisket is tasty.

Cold Smoke

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Came back to the smoker and it was still glowing red hot even with the slider in the off position and the door being open for five or so minutes<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Call Bradley its sound as if you rheostat got fried do to the juices running out the door. Which can happen.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">None of the juices were in the drip pan but all over the bottom of the smoker.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds like your <b>Heat Deflector/ Drip Pan is upside down,</b> as that is the only way your juices will not run into the water bowl and then run all over the bottom of you unit and out the door.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

I've never had that problem but I remember reading a post from NSXBill where he mentioned he had a moisture problem from not opening the vent enough. He also mentioned it resulted in a short in the wiring so that could be your element problem. This is second hand so you might want to email Bill.
Tom

SmokinMoe

Ok, I will post this and you don't have to answer this in public!!
But, just to show you how willing I am to help, I will post my mistake in public.  If it helps someone else, it was worth it. LOL
You know the V-shaped drip pan?  Did you put it in looking like a V or an A?  I put mine in the first time with the thing upside down and I had fat leaking all over the place.  Then I realized what I did.

Make sure the v shaped pan that goes on the bottom prongs above the water bowl looks like a v and is not inverted.  If you forgot that completely, that could be why there was so much liquid everywhere or if you had it in wrong.
I hope I explained it right so you understand what I am talking about.
Now I have truly embarrassed myself!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

nsxbill

Just for clarification.  I have never had water running out the door or had a water problem.  Just responding to post about it as a caution to new person seeking guidance.   I quickly learned that the vent had to opened when on the first use, months ago, I had smoke coming out the smoke generator seal.   I opened the vent and <font color="red">voila</font id="red">, problem solved.  Notice that I threw in a French word for our Canadian friends!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

I know a few French words too. Surrender, retreat, oil-for-food. I don't think I'm pissing off too many of our Canadian members.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I know a few French words too. Surrender, retreat, oil-for-food. I don't think I'm pissing off too many of our Canadian members.[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<hr noshade size="1">Now now Chez such hostility is going to drive up your blood pressure, and at your age you got to think about it~~ Or your Mrs. might just find herself smokin' you.[:)]<hr noshade size="1">
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

How do you know she hasn't been?[;)][:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

Hey guys- absolutely zero harm done! I'm Canadian and part french- can't you tell by my accent?[;)][:D]

But seriously folks-Rookie has a serious question that I think all of you answered (NSX, Olds (the Obie Wan Kenobi (?????)(with diagrams)of the smoking world and Chez Ol' Boy about the leakage- lack of air circulation or inverted parts.

Smell ya later!

Cold Smoke

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How do you know she hasn't been?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Chez you just a nasty boy...just wait unitl I talk with her on the phone again and tell what you said. *Chez finds couch after bedroom door is locked*

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Smell ya later!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Whoa!!!! That is what my dogs do....no tank ya~~! <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey guys- absolutely zero harm done! I'm Canadian and part french<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey I'm a half breed Polock...can't get much worse than that. Plus there is a little Jewish blood too.... Oh Momma...

RookieSmoker

I really appreciate all the help and fast replies to my problem.  I hate to admit this, but my drip tray was in upside down.  I would like lay partial blame on my "expert" brother who opened the BS and "folowed assembly instructions" while I was constructing a table to put it on.  But the bottom line is I should have looked at that and immediately known that would pose a problem.  I'm guessing that brisket juices worked down in the temp slider and it's causing a short.  I'm going to try to take the slider out and clean it with some electrical contact cleaner.  If not I'll be looking for a new slider.  I purchased three Bubba Pucks from Chez last week and saw  a price list he included for misc. parts for the BS.  So look for me to be e-mailing or calling again Chez.  Thanks again everyone for all your help, I'm glad to be part of a forum where everyone is so eager to help out.  And by the way, the brisket was awesome!!!!

Oldman

I might be wrong but I would call Bradley first. They may very well replace that controller for you at no cost. I know that when I talked with them the person on the phone told me that day to make sure the drip pan was not upside down. Which made me feel like yours is not the only time this has happened.
<hr noshade size="1"><b>EDIT</b><i> Now that I reflect back that person said to me that if there was any one thing people got wrong it was putting that pan in upside down.  

I would think that sticker on the correct side would be applied that said:
<font size="3">This side up.</font id="size3"> IMO if it has happened to two customers then that is one to many.</i>
<hr noshade size="1">
Olds