"pellicling" large quantities...

Started by tublackdogs, March 02, 2009, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tublackdogs

Hello All:
I made that word up...
I am interested in your suggestions on how to "pre-dry" salmon before smoking.  While waiting for the pellicle to form, I used to be able to make enough room in the fridge to fill the (little) Chief.  Now that I have the much larger capacity Bradley, and I have learned about stacking the trays to get 8 in the smoker instead of 4, my limiting factor has become lack of space to "pre-dry" the fish.  I have thought about building a frame and covering it with window screening, which would work in the colder months up her in Metro Vancouver, but I am not sure I want to leave fish outside here in September/October when salmon is the most plentiful (cheap!) here.
Does anyone have a solution to this space problem, short of getting another fridge?
Thanks!

Gizmo

I have done the air drying on the counter with a fan on several of the Salmon Smokes I have done.
I have also used additional racks inverted to layer them in the Fridge.   I accidentally ordered too many spare racks so I could do 12 racks of jerky at one time.  The extra 6 racks come in handy for such occasions. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

Many moons ago a member here, Smokehouse Rob, produced a carrying rack for such a situation. Can't find a picture, they were probably lost when the forum underwent a major modification a few years ago  but this is what he produced.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=604.0

I was lucky enough to win one here on the forum and they are great. Pretty sure they aren't in production anymore, Olds would probably be the one to put me right on that score?

Perhaps a money making opportunity for someone?  ;)
Manxman

tublackdogs

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the feedback.  The rack sounds like just the thing, but it wouldn't fit in my fridge...
4 racks inverted in the fridge take up a lot of room, and even though my wife loves the results, I am definitely pushing her boundaries when I do that.  I need to find another solution.
Do you see a problem leaving the fish outside with a fan to speed the process at 8-12 deg C (sorry, I don't know the Fahrenheit) for a few hours?

Habanero Smoker

He also made a mini-carrying/drying rack for the refrigerator. I was fortunate to purchase one, prior to them being discontinued. It will hold four racks of salmon, and will fit in my refrigerator, after adjusting a self. After removing the plastic end protectors, I occasionally will use it in my oven to dehydrate vegetables, and meat.

If I get a chance I will post a picture of it later today.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RossP

I am from the Vancouver area and if you do not ave an extra fridge, ie beer fridge, or if it is full of other food like mine ??? I just set the racks up in the basement with a fan blowing over them. I find that if I  get up early and set up my racks and the fan I can have the fish in the smoker by noon no problem. Never had a problem with bugs as long as the fan is blowing across the salmon ;D. Now I just have to get another fridge for doing brines etc.....
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Roadking

8°C = 46.4°F  12°C = 53.6°F
When I had my smoking business on the Hudson River I was smoking roughly 1200 lb. of Shad a day. I never dried them inside a refrig., always outside in the shade. A big no no was to put a fan on them to speed the drying, you can actually dry the flesh. All you want to do is remove the outside moisture. If it was too windy I would block the wind. Those temps. that your quoting are perfect for outside. If your concerned about insects drape cheese cloth over them.

Kummok

Is my mind losing it or has the rest (another page or two) of this thread disappeared ?????? ??? ???

Roadking

Yep sure looks like it.
Guess if you stray off subject the boss high jacks it.

We were discussing drying racks, shad fishing and the Fish Market

KyNola

The forum had a problem today.  Lost the meat section of the forum.  In order to get that section back online, apparently lost some of the most recent posts.

KyNola

Kummok

Ahhhh the joy of network administration! Another reason for early retirement! Hopefully Brian still has his hair and tublackdogs had his plans for racks "mentalized" before the digi-stuff went hasta la bye bye! If not, TBD, let me know and I'll re-post pics.......

tublackdogs

Gotta love technology :o
Yup, I "mentalized" the images.  I was thinking along your plans, Kummok.  I am thinking I will not use any screen, as I am fairly certain that a fan will keep the flies and yellow jackets off the flesh, and it may restrict air circulation.   Great tip about watching out for the flesh to "over-dry".

Brian:  I had gone to the Bradley site, but I couldn't find the propane frame listed anywhere.  I assume it can be ordered as a "spare part" directly from customer service.  I just need the part number.  Seems like the easiest solution - not sure about the cheapest ;)

Kinda off topic: what about brining large qtys.?  While it doesn't create the same space issues as the drying process, it is still problematic.  I was planning on using a large cooler with ice contained in plastic so that as it melts, it doesn't dilute the brine.  -I think I read about that here- any thoughts on that?

Geez, I'm getting excited about all the smoking I will be doing this fall!

Thanks for all the tips!!!

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Kummok on March 05, 2009, 07:58:14 PM
Ahhhh the joy of network administration! Another reason for early retirement! Hopefully Brian still has his hair

Kummok after yesterday the hair is almost gone  ;D
Quote from: tublackdogs on March 05, 2009, 09:41:41 PM

Brian:  I had gone to the Bradley site, but I couldn't find the propane frame listed anywhere.  I assume it can be ordered as a "spare part" directly from customer service.  I just need the part number.  Seems like the easiest solution - not sure about the cheapest ;)

Tublackdogs
Yes they are spare parts I will get the part numbers you will need and post them later on today

Brian

Kummok

Not to worry Brian...bald guys catch more fish!!  ;)

Tublackdogs.... your question about brining is covered in the post at: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0  Here's an excerpt: "Soak in your own brine recipe for 12 hours at refrigerator temps (I use an Igloo type ice chest with about a gallon of ice thrown in). For more complete brining throughout, place a stainless steel or wooden grate over the top of the meat to hold it under the brine. Stir fish a few times during the brining process." Keep on Sssssmoooookin' !!

Bradley (Head Office)

Tublackdogs

Here are the parts you will need from the propane smoker

Part Code                           Description

PS BOTT TRAY                    Bottom Tray                  (out of stock)
PS DRIP TRAY                     Drip Tray                       (different than V shaped tray)
PS FOOD RACK                    Wire Racks                    (different than reg wire racks)
PS SIDE SUPP                     Side supports
PS TOP TRUSS                    Top truss
Drip Bowl                                                              (any bowl will work)
Drip Tray                                                              ( took from my smoker)

Here is a Picture of mine nice and clean (not used much)  ;D

Brian