What is your favorite type of commercial rub?

Started by matwell, March 31, 2009, 08:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

Hello Again,

I figured why not throw in the favorite rub question as well. When I first started smoking with my Bradley, I was making rubs from smoke and spice and other barbecue books. Sometimes it is convenient to have a commercial rub on hand for a quick fix. I have an order placed with Texas BBQ rub .com. From what I have read on line this seems like a well liked rub. What is your commercial rub of preference?

Tenpoint5

I generally mix my own. I make a large batch and keep it in a airtight container in the fridge, so I have it on hand when needed.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ananomoly

bflosmoke

I always make my own for pork n ribs but for brisket I have used Montreal steak seasoning with much sucess. But I even mix that myself now.
BFLO

westexasmoker

My go to rub for most everything is the Wild Willys Number one-derful from Smoke&Spice.  The McCormick Grill Mates are not to bad from the grocery store in a pinch!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

sherlock

I have never bought a "rub". Have a book by John Willingham and he has recipes for several good rubs.

NePaSmoKer

Bad Byrons
BBQ lightning
All of the Dizzy Pig rubs
Famous Daves
Salt Lick

nepas

Smokin Soon

Is there really a bad rub out there? I have never tried one that was not tasty. It's just added spices. That's all. Have to tune in the rub to your liking, sweet, garlic, spicy etc. For a rush job the McCormick's is really good with poultry.

MallardWacker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 31, 2009, 05:03:44 PM
Is there really a bad rub out there? I have never tried one that was not tasty. It's just added spices. That's all. Have to tune in the rub to your liking, sweet, garlic, spicy etc. For a rush job the McCormick's is really good with poultry.

OH YES THERE IS....don't even come close these two.  First one has the "Ducks Unlimited" on it, you can normally see around at Vahl-Marht.  The other one is "Emerald's"...that guy needs to stick to what he knows best...and it's not rub.

Still my favorite, especially for butts is "Korky's".  It taste like an old school type rub. Plus it's not to much $$$$.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

meatgeek

Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous Rib Rub. 

I found a recipe for their rib rub on the internet, so now I make it myself (who knows if the Rendezvous posted the real-deal or not, but its GOOD and it reminds me of yummy meals there):

1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp chile powder

Of course, I usually mix this rub 1:1 with brown sugar before applying to everything in sight ;)

Laura

janzy

I really like all the Dizzy Pig stuff.
Great service from this company.

pfowl01

macattak

I use the Texas BBQ rub and their Old No. 2 Brisket Blend and I like them both.  I haven't tried the Texas Wild yet.  I don't think you're on the wrong track and the price is right too.

mics

theres a guy that post  on the national bbq forum called billy bones.i used to be a  dizzy pig fan,.but  billy boneses rubs  are just  just too good.  you gotta try his triple x cherry.man, o man , mix it 50-50 with his competition rub and talk about heaven .
fishin and cookin,must be gettin ready to retire.gamefishin.

Smokin Soon

Bad Byron's
Dizzy Pig
Jans Rub
And all of the great ones I have made that were adult beverage influenced and not written down!  ;D