• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket..anyone???

Started by westexasmoker, April 04, 2009, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Sorry, but gonna have to ask a silly question....!  I've yet to buy a whole brisket from my butcher, but I'm aware they can be "whole" or cut into a "flat" and "point", trimmed or untrimmed and with or without the fat "cap".  When I made some preliminary enquires of my butcher I was even asked if I wanted any bones...  to which I very knowledgeably and confidentally replied "Hmmm...  don't know really..."  :-[  Perhaps that was a trick question designed to see if I really knew what I was talking about.

.... anyway, what cut are yours? I'm just trying to get an idea what it should look like when I do order one (or 4!!!) from my butcher?

westexasmoker

Quote from: canadiansmoker on April 07, 2009, 07:09:23 AM
WTS, just curious, what temp was your oven at and what was your IT when you took them out of the smoker?

They look fantastic. I'm gonna have to try one of those sometime soon.

Hey CS, ya know I've still not taken the IT of brisket when I do them one of these days I'll remember, but if I were to guess somewhere around 190-205.....Oven temp was @ 220!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

westexasmoker

Quote from: tdcooper on April 07, 2009, 08:16:06 AM
Sorry, but gonna have to ask a silly question....!  I've yet to buy a whole brisket from my butcher, but I'm aware they can be "whole" or cut into a "flat" and "point", trimmed or untrimmed and with or without the fat "cap".  When I made some preliminary enquires of my butcher I was even asked if I wanted any bones...  to which I very knowledgeably and confidentally replied "Hmmm...  don't know really..."  :-[  Perhaps that was a trick question designed to see if I really knew what I was talking about.

.... anyway, what cut are yours? I'm just trying to get an idea what it should look like when I do order one (or 4!!!) from my butcher?

These were whole packer's,....never seen or heard of brisket with bones?

C

BareBones

What rub did you use on those beautiful pieces of meat? I've been experimenting and haven't really found the right mix yet... BTW I can smell the mesquite from here! :)

Ka Honu

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 07, 2009, 09:10:05 AM....never seen or heard of brisket with bones?

The butcher might be referring to some of the chuck short ribs adjacent to the brisket and sometimes known as flanken.  Or maybe he has a cow designed by a committee.

Caneyscud

Pushing back the cobwebs in the gray topped cranium, remembering this one Ag class I had in High School (It was after football and I did not want to take typing again and certainly not Homemaking!) - this was in the area of 36 years ago.  But when you refer to a whole brisket, you do refer to a cut of meat that includes bones (sternum and a few - like 3 or 4 cut rib bones) and deckle (fat, gristle, and some kind of flap of muscle - similar as to a whole sparerib).  Thus the other term for "packer trimmed" brisket - beef brisket, deckle off, boneless. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

westexasmoker

Quote from: BareBones on April 07, 2009, 01:43:28 PM
What rub did you use on those beautiful pieces of meat? I've been experimenting and haven't really found the right mix yet... BTW I can smell the mesquite from here! :)

Wild Willys Number One-derful from S&S

C

westexasmoker

Just dawned on me, forgot to post the end results.....although a couple days later.  Leftover just out of the fridge last night

And after heated up, I'm starting to think brisket gets even better after a day or two in the fridge!   ;D

C

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 08, 2009, 06:05:09 AM
Just dawned on me, forgot to post the end results.....although a couple days later.  Leftover just out of the fridge last night

And after heated up, I'm starting to think brisket gets even better after a day or two in the fridge!   ;D

C

WTS,

Slicer or Knife? Guessing Slicer everything looks too uniform for Knife.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

No slicer here...just a super sharp henckels and a semi-steady hand and of course my reading glasses so as not to lose a finger!   ;D

C

drano

WTS,

Quote. . .and the other two for the college kids that use our roping arena!

OK, let me know where you live, so I can stop by to use your roping arena and then I'll pick up a brisket too  ;D

Man, those look awesome!  I've only done brisket once (used a trimmed piece from the grocery store and wasn't that great so next time I need to buy a full brisket). 

drano