My Second Cheese Smoke

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 24, 2009, 10:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on April 24, 2009, 07:32:29 PM
I'd love to know how 4 hours of smoke tastes...I usually top out at 2-2.5 (listen to me...like I've done this A LOT)!!! We like the hint of smoke on the cheese...but I know nothing really...I just want to taste the cheese with the smoke and just may be a scaredy cat!!!  :D

Well 4 hours was pretty good my neighbor said. The cheese was gone by that night.

nepas

La Quinta

NePas...I just cracked open a colby jack that I smoked in January...YUMMMOOO...have about 6 more bricks (of various) to go through!!! I'm thrilled!!! Glad you're doing the cheese thing!!  :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on April 26, 2009, 07:42:27 PM
NePas...I just cracked open a colby jack that I smoked in January...YUMMMOOO...have about 6 more bricks (of various) to go through!!! I'm thrilled!!! Glad you're doing the cheese thing!!  :)

I think i could wait that long for chees but my neighbor cant  :D he wants it that same day of the smoke  ;D

At the smokeout i'm going to have some smoked cheese, jerky, slim jims and if it lasts some smoked venison sausage and andouille. Also some chicken, pork (swine flu free  ;D) and maybe some briskit.

nepas

La Quinta

You know I'm there...got my college girlfriend lining up a place to stay...she is a hoot...her hubby is gonna take care of the kids...so we are gonna be freak women!!! Kool huh?  ;D

watchdog56

Hi I just bought a DBS and was wondering how to smoke cheese? Do you just put a chunk in the DBS and turn smoker on? Would like to try Gouda and Cheddar maybe also some pepper jack. How long do you smoke it for,1 Hour or 2? Also do you just set the timer on the smoker and do not turn oven on? Will this get it hot enough to smoke the cheese? I have read where after I smoke it I should let sit in frig for about 3 weeks before tasting it. Do I let it get to room temp before I seal it in a bag and then in frig? Any tips would be appreciated.   

Caneyscud

What you will have to do is dependent on where you live.  Smoking cheese requires the Cabinet Temperature not getting over 80 and preferrably not over 70F.  That is hard to do in the middle of the summer in Central Texas at 105 in the shade.  Most of the time it is a fall/winter/early spring thing to do and even then requires a cold smoking setup (the smoke generator is attached to another box and a hose run from that box to the Bradley cabinet - the longer the better - cooler smoke.  But there are ways.  Some go with  a cold smoking set up and put ice on the other racks to lower the cabinet temperature.  For an experiment, when the temperature gets hotter, I'm gonna try hooking up a roll around ac to my cold smoke box to carry the smoke through the pipe and into the smoking chamber.  I've always wondered why you can't put cold cheese into the smoker for 20 minutes, then back into the refrig to cool down, then back into the smoker for 20 minutes, into the refrig. etc....  Might have to put a buddy puck between the wood pucks so you don't have to reheat the puck burner each time.  Dunno - I wonder!  The hardest thing on smoking cheese is the after smoking "mellowing" period.  Right after smoking, the cheese often tastes like an ashtray.  Waiting 10 days or so gives it a chance to mellow.  Gouda, cheddar, pepperjack - all are delicious smoked.

A link to the recipe page for smoking cheese http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Oldman

Dang you folks that can smoke cheese. I might get 3 - 10 days per year when the outside temp. is ok. On the other hand I have a veg garden 12 months per year... still smoked cheese is cold weather champ.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

pensrock

I took about four pounds of smoked cheese to the smokeout, but it sure would be nice to have fresh veggies from the garden year round.

lumpy

Hey NePas
How many more slices will you take off once the cheese is done?LOL
;) ;)

Will you tell your neighbour that there was a 50% shrinkage?

Lumpy

mikecorn.1

Newbie here, sorry for the dumb ?s. My brother wants me to smoke him some cheese. How long will it last if it is vacuum sealed. Will 4 hours of smoke be too overpowering for cheddar. What is the wood of choice for cheese. thnks again.   ;D
Mike

manxman

QuoteNewbie here, sorry for the dumb ?s. My brother wants me to smoke him some cheese. How long will it last if it is vacuum sealed. Will 4 hours of smoke be too overpowering for cheddar. What is the wood of choice for cheese. thnks again.

No dumb questions, everyone has to start somewhere.  :D

I have kept vacuum sealed cheddar for at least 3 months and it was fine, normally doesn't last that long because it is eaten quickly but I put a piece aside as an experiment.

Length of time of smoke is personal preference, I started by doing blocks (around 6"x4"x1") for between 1 and 6 hours and have settled on about 4 hours for mature / sharp cheddar but for some that is too long. Mild cheddar needs less. Best to experiment and see what suites you and your brother best.

Oak and apple for me, although I an sure others will point you elsewhere!  ;) :D
Manxman

mikecorn.1

Mike

okiesmoke

Just wondering Nepas.  Did you use the smoke pistol for this smoke?  Would it be possible to just mount it up against the smoke generator hole on a DBS?  This would be half the cost of the Bradley cold smoke adapter.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: okiesmoke on June 29, 2009, 02:01:50 PM
Just wondering Nepas.  Did you use the smoke pistol for this smoke?  Would it be possible to just mount it up against the smoke generator hole on a DBS?  This would be half the cost of the Bradley cold smoke adapter.

okie

I use a smokedaddy, way different than the smokepistol. I had to drill a 1/2" hole on the side of my BS.

nepas

Margareeman

Hi guys, just a question about smoking cheese. Can I do it in my DBS with the just the smoke gen running or is that still too hot?