My Second Cheese Smoke

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 24, 2009, 10:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

My neighbor bought some pepperjack and white Wisconsin cheddar and asked me to smoke it. Put 4 hours of cold oak smoke to em  ;D

Yeah the peperjack is smaller cuz i cut a slice  ;D

nepas

KyNola

NePaS cut the cheese!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

Cold smoked white cheddar is my favorite.  Last time I smoked cheese I did about 10 pounds of white cheddar and 2 pounds of gouda.  Folks have started calling me to see if I have any smoked cheese they can have.

KyNola

Up In Smoke

Great looking treat there Nepas.....(as usual)
Isn't it amazing that it has become politically correct to cut the cheese????
i really enjoy the fontina, and cheddar cheese.
i have 5 lbs of cheddar that will be ready tomorrow.
i even have the people at the publix grocery store asking me when
they will get a chance to try some. how  8) is that?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mybad

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 24, 2009, 10:11:17 AM

Yeah the peperjack is smaller cuz i cut a slice  ;D

nepas

LOL ;D ;D ;D

westexasmoker

I'd have cut a bigger slice!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Roadking

Quote from: KyNola on April 24, 2009, 02:44:06 PM
NePaS cut the cheese!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

Cold smoked white cheddar is my favorite.  Last time I smoked cheese I did about 10 pounds of white cheddar and 2 pounds of gouda.  Folks have started calling me to see if I have any smoked cheese they can have.

KyNola

How did the Gouda turn out? That's one of my favorites.

La Quinta

I'd love to know how 4 hours of smoke tastes...I usually top out at 2-2.5 (listen to me...like I've done this A LOT)!!! We like the hint of smoke on the cheese...but I know nothing really...I just want to taste the cheese with the smoke and just may be a scaredy cat!!!  :D

KyNola

RK,
Haven't tasted the gouda yet.  Still vac sealed and aging.  Smoked it back in Feb. and have resisted the urge to dig in.

LQ,
I generally go 3 hours of smoke on the cheddar.  This time I used a combination of cherry/maple.  I really like the finished product of the two woods.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Thanks for the post Nepas. That looks really good. Reminds me that I have some Pepper Jack vac sealed in the back of the fridge waiting to be tapped into.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Father Tom

Looks Great Nepas.   Did s ome a couple of weeks ago, Cheddar, Pepper Jack and Jalapeno.  Noticed that the Pepper Jack was a process cheese and it didn't stack up to the others.  Has anyone noticed the difference in Processed and Non Processed??

Tom

Roadking

Quote from: La Quinta on April 24, 2009, 07:32:29 PM
I'd love to know how 4 hours of smoke tastes...I usually top out at 2-2.5 (listen to me...like I've done this A LOT)!!! We like the hint of smoke on the cheese...but I know nothing really...I just want to taste the cheese with the smoke and just may be a scaredy cat!!!  :D
That's the way I like mine also. I want to taste the cheese and know that it's been smoked. Actually that's the way wife and I like most of our food. Don't like it over powered.

Up In Smoke

Father Tom,
i have done some processed cheese such as pepper jack and the K work cheddar.
did not like the results at all, i have switched to Boars head brand, the Havarti with jalapeno
the cheddar and the fontina all smoke very well.

i only do 20 minutes of smoke on my cheese because i like a very lite smoke flavor.
in fact i bring the cheddar to room temp and then slice it, the smoke flavor does not jump out at you
but after a few seconds you can taste it on the back of your tongue.....best of all you still get to
taste the cheese.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Father Tom

Thanks Up in Smoke.  Will try some Boars Head if i can find any or will order it from company.

Tom

KyNola

Darn you RoadKing! ;)  You made me open a package of the smoked gouda.  In Jan and my opinion, it was nothing short of great!

KyNola

Roadking

Quote from: KyNola on April 25, 2009, 03:29:13 PM
Darn you RoadKing! ;)  You made me open a package of the smoked gouda.  In Jan and my opinion, it was nothing short of great!

KyNola
Don't you just love that Gouda.......Mum good!  Just melts in your mouth so-o-o-o creamy too......