My Second Cheese Smoke

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 24, 2009, 10:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Quote from: Margareeman on June 29, 2009, 03:26:19 PM
Hi guys, just a question about smoking cheese. Can I do it in my DBS with the just the smoke gen running or is that still too hot?

Thats the only way I can smoke cheese here, and even then I have to load the water bowl with ice along with another bowl of ice on the low rack.  And if the temp still ramps up to high, prop the door open!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Margareeman on June 29, 2009, 03:26:19 PM
Hi guys, just a question about smoking cheese. Can I do it in my DBS with the just the smoke gen running or is that still too hot?

You need the fake plug and a bowel of ice on the rack just above the puck slide.  The plug is just the jack without the cable.

nepas

Margareeman

Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated. NePas, sorry, but I am unsure of what you mean about a fake plug?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Margareeman on June 29, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated. NePas, sorry, but I am unsure of what you mean about a fake plug?

You have a Digital Bradley. The cable that goes from the generator to the back cabinet. You need just the fake jack that has no cable. You can get the jack at Radio shack

nepas

Mr Walleye

Margareeman

To smoke cheese you will want to maintain a tower temp of 80 degrees or less. Most will setup a temporary cold smoke such as this one. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=42#post42 You can also set this up using a cardboard box. In addition to this they may also use a bowl of ice in the tower to help keep the temps down. Because you have a DBS, in order to set it up in a cold smoke format like this you will need to either extend the sensor cable (small wire between smoke generator and the tower) or plug in a dummy plug into the smoke generator as NePas suggested because the smoke generator will not run without the sensor circuit being connected. The dummy plug can be made but it is not simply a blank plug, it must have a resistor wired into it. Here is a thread from a while ago on the subject. They really are simple to make. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9164.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

The smoke generator by itself can heat the box with cheese in it to 150 but that depends on the outside ambient temperature.  It is typcially better to use an offset such as the cardboard box, aluminum dryer vent, and the longer cable NePa and others mentioned.  Alaska and Canada may have to have the heater on to 200 degrees to keep the cheese from freezing.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Margareeman

Thanks guys for all the info, greatly appreciated. As I told one of the new guys here, when you ask ask a question he will be surprised at the responses he gets, once again a great bunch.