Yet Another First Pulled Pork

Started by ArnieM, September 20, 2009, 05:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Like BC Smokin' this is my first in the OBS.  I'm including a few pics.

Put together a fairly traditional rub but cut back on the brown sugar and upped the cayenne some.  Here it's ready to be wrapped in plastic and go into the fridge overnight on Friday.  BTW, it was 8.15 pounds and I sliced a little fat off of the top.

I did ABTs on Saturday afternoon and just left the smoker on.  I put the butt in about 8 PM with 4 hours of Hickory at 220.

It was pushing midnight, the smoke was just about done.  Lookin' pretty good.

I meant to turn the SG off but forgot.  I was up a little after 6 AM to check it, flip and rotate.  So, here I was out on the deck in my underwear, 40 F outside, fiddling with the butt.  The cabinet temp was 250, too hot, probably because I had left the SG on.  Turned the SG off.  Turned on the TV for a while so I could monitor the temp for a half hour or so.  Ya know, there's NOTHING on TV at 6 AM Sunday.  :(

The pic below is after the flip and rotate.

Sorry, no more butt pics.  The lack of sleep, company and adult bev's did me in.  I gave it the fork/twist test around 1:15 PM - tasted good.  Pulled it at 190 IT, foiled and toweled and just put it on the counter; too lazy for the cooler.  Total time was a bit over 17 hours.

I made a simple BBQ sauce from tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and the usual spices, keeping it light, simmered and reduced.

My wife and company made cole slaw, rice and beans and green beans with garlic.  I pulled the pork, poured some of the BBQ sauce on it and we ate.  Everyone loved it.

Here we are after the meal.

I've had my OBS for less than a month and I'm really enjoying it.  Some good stuff comes out of there!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

That looks good.

I've rotated racks, but I have not flipped the meat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

The last (and first) briskets I did were kind of tough and/or burned on the bottom.  I decided to use a higher shelf for this and to flip it.  The last pic is "bottom side up" and it's definitely darker than the top was.  In any case, it was good.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks great Arnie. And from the look of things, your family/company were well satisfied!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Caneyscud

Arnie, great looking job and some good looking eats.  The great thing about a butt - the 250 did not bother it a bit.  I only hoped you decided to put some pants on before you pulled and served!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

Arnie, I had the same thing happen to me...  Everything looked good, went to bed, woke up at 4 to find the smoker at 250+..    I had a brisket in as well - turned into 'pulled beef'. 

After the smoke is done, I put my butt in a cheap foil pan, and cover w/ foil.  Back into the smoker.   That seems to keep it from scorching.

FYI, I've got a temperature controller now.  I can lock it in at 220 and walk away.

BC Smokin'

You got a nice butt Arnie, errrrrrrrrrr that doesn't sound quite right, your butt looks great arnie, I think I had better quit while I'm ahead. Anyway, you know what I mean.  :D

BC Smokin'
You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 21, 2009, 06:35:04 AM

Arnie, I had the same thing happen to me...  Everything looked good, went to bed, woke up at 4 to find the smoker at 250+..    I had a brisket in as well - turned into 'pulled beef'.
I hope hou pulled the brisket, chopped it, sauced it and had some BBQ sandwiches. 

After the smoke is done, I put my butt in a cheap foil pan, and cover w/ foil.  Back into the smoker.   That seems to keep it from scorching.
That sounds like a good idea.  I'll try it next time.

FYI, I've got a temperature controller now.  I can lock it in at 220 and walk away.

-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 21, 2009, 07:39:17 AM
I hope hou pulled the brisket, chopped it, sauced it and had some BBQ sandwiches.

That's exactly what we did...  My wife declared it better (and healthier) than my pulled pork.

OU812

Nice job on the pork, looks like your hooked now  :D

classicrockgriller

Great looking butt. I've started a tradition when I did my first Butts. I kinda spank them alittle before I put them in the Bradley. That way they know they are loved.
Great Job !

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 21, 2009, 05:27:24 PM
Great looking butt. I've started a tradition when I did my first Butts. I kinda spank them alittle before I put them in the Bradley. That way they know they are loved.
Great Job !

Well, that's better that blasting Sir Mix-A-Lot while prepping them...

The youngins' around here will know what I'm referring to.  I won't annoy everyone with the link to the lyrics.