Started by tsquared, October 07, 2009, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Sending out a Happy Thanksgiving to our family in the North Country

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Dysartsmoker on October 08, 2009, 09:27:14 AM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 07, 2009, 09:20:05 PM
T2

I'm thinking I like your Thanksgiving plans better than mine!  ;)

No smokin' for me this weekend... I'm building a 350 sq. ft. two tier deck on my daughter & fiancĂ©'s new home they just built.  ::)

Man... the things ya gotta do...

Hope all my fellow Canucks have a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Mike

PS

It's going to be a nice balmy high of 2 degrees on Saturday to get things goin!  ::)

Good luck with the deck Mike you may need toque gloves and oh yea some anti-freeze my son is coming home for the week end we are smoking 15lb hamburger jerky and 15lb of eye of round. 

Thanks Jack... Hope you and your family have a great weekend!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

monty

Quote from: tsquared on October 07, 2009, 08:27:45 PM
Oakville smoker brought up the fact that it is our Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada--what do all the Canuckleheads have planned? I usually do a batch of smoked oysters to have as appetizers and I've also used the smoked oysters as part of an oyster stuffing for the turkey.

tsquared that smoked oyster stuffing sounds ridiculously good - can you post your recipe? also how do you do your smoker oysters? do you follow the Bradley recipe?

me, i won't be doing any smoking this weekend - we're visiting relatives so i won't be doing any of the cooking. although i plan to sneak in some babybacks, perhaps when i return on monday.

have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

-monty
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Quarlow

Thanks Everyone. We usually just buy the smoked oysters ( i know i know) but I haven't done smoked oysters yet. Anyway I will do a small turkey in the OBS and I will be doing some honey garlic jerky from an eye of round. Unless my sickys feel better by Monday. Then I will do a cranberry stuffing smoked pork loin because that other one was so good. And seen as today is my Friday(cause I work 4 tens) I have started on the weekend already.

I went with the cheap Rye tonight because I wanted to try this Plum brandy. Well that was the first mistake. This stuff is pure alcohol like plum moonshine almost. hehehe. Well it was good with Coke anyway. The second mistake was to have 2 strong ones before dinner(of course that's not necessarily a bad mistake)! So last night I tried this
. It was supposed to be boneless skinless smoked cheddar chicken thighs wrapped with bacon. Well I never thought about wrapping bacon around the ends also. So you know where the cheese ended up. Yup. On the drip tray. he he. so after 1 1/2 hrs of smoke, on to the barbecue, and hey was still not bad.
Then I was at my nephews 1st birthday on the weekend and my bro bought a $100 plus prime rib roast(this is the guy with the DBS)

and he didn't even put some smoke to it, just on to the barbecue. Well for the price he paid this was a very disappointing piece of meat. A little well done( cause he doesn't read this forum or he would know to take it of early but he took it right to 165f and then pulled it of) but worse it had no flavour. I think he should have soak it or something, what do you guys and girls think.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

well it looks nice. that is a shame. twist his arm and make him join up.

Quarlow

Oh, he's been on here but he also has a 1 year old so he keeps pretty busy but he makes the best jerky.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

monty

Slivovitz! that stuff is like moonshine. i used to work at a Croatian restaurant and the staff drank it all the time  ;D
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

ArnieM

Q, I've had the same problem with a rib roast.  The last one I got was USDA Prime from a butcher and it was a real disappointment but at least it cost a lot  >:(  I've had some that were 4.99/pound and were really good.

Well, next time, seal up the thighs and do the roast to 130-135.  Enjoy your holiday!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Yeah, haha, he was kickin' his own ass because he could have got one from Costco for $56,00 but thought it would not be as good. hehehe

OBS
BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

Smack him up the head Q, then tell him to read the posts here. Then he can hit one out of the park! I've done rump roasts like he has, but cooked at 250 on the rotisserie to about 135. Then sliced thin and served, turned out great, smoked would be even better. If you have ideas on smoking oysters, I would sure like to hear them. Love those little tasty gems.
HawkeyeSmokes

tsquared

Hi guys--sorry for the slow reply--I was out celebrating my birthday. I had such a hankering for smoked oysters I couldn't even wait til the weekend so we went to Ferris' Oyster bar here in Victoria and had a plate of their cherrywood smoked oysters on a spinach salad and sweet potato fries--oh yeah! Anyway the recipe for smoking oysters could not be simpler--I usually have them for appies so what I put on the oysters depends on what the main course is. If we are doing an Asian dinner, I usually drizzle shucked oysters with Kikkoman Terriyaki spicy miso or sometimes just a dusting of 5 spice powder. If we are having beef or pulled pork etc. I usually dust them with some of the rub from the meat. Put them in the bradley at 200-225 for 40 minutes or so(depends on how cooked you like your oysters) and then enjoy! For wood I like cherry the best but anything except mesquite is fine. As for the turkey stuffing you can chop the smoked oysters (I like larger pieces so you can taste the individual chunks of oyster) and add them to your stuffing. The recipe I use caramelizes the onions because I love the smoked oyster/onion taste together. Here it is.

Stuffing:
       1/4 cup  butter
      3 cups  thinly sliced onions
      1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
      2 cups  sliced celery
     2 tsp (10 mL) dried sage

8 cups (2 L) cubed day-old marble rye bread (or 4 cups/1 L each cubed light rye and pumpernickel)
      1 cup sodium-reduced chicken stock
      1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 cups of oysters, chopped

Preparation:
In a large skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-low heat; cook onions and half each of the salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.

In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat; fry celery,  sage,and remaining salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes. Add to bowl.

Add bread, stock, oysters and parsley; mix well.
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
T2

classicrockgriller

YOU ARE THE MAN ! I'll dance at your next wedding. Thank You. Just ask if I can ever help you.  CRG

classicrockgriller

Thanks again and Happy Birthday.   CRG

classicrockgriller

t2, couple question. you use 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper twice? do you bake the dressing after final ingredients added? If so, what temp and how long. It looks good and like you said quite easy to do.

I use to live in Jax Fla and they had a bar/resturant called Annie Teaks and they steamed oysters in the shell and shucked them for you if you sat at the bar. Man o Man. My shrimp man called and he told me he would be able to start harvesting the 15th and I will be able to get a bushell (about 60 pounds) for $30. thanks again.

squirtthecat

Hmm.   Smoker... rotisserie...

I smell a mad science experiment coming on here.  (not with my Bradley, mind you)