North Country Thanksgiving

Started by tsquared, October 07, 2009, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

oakville smoker

Just some follow up on the prime rib....

I did one in my DBS a few months ago.  It was a last minute thing.  Wife comes home from Costco with a prime rib and demands it for dinner that evening!  LOL  No time for prep but I did rub it with kosher salt and laid a good coating of pepper on it as well.

Low and slow, cannot even remember what smoke was used but I am thinking it was the Special
Blend.  It was amazing.  I would do it again.  i will do it again.  I might even do it this weekend.  Everyone raved and I fought the dog for the bones. I won. LOL.  But the dog got them when I was finished with them.

Happy Thanksgiving Fellow Cannucks
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Dysartsmoker

Well -9C this morning and -17 wind chill good thing we have two ovens in the house no cooking outside this weekend oh yea and 3 inches of frickin snow love saskatchewan 
Jack

smokers

Bradley original

Centro Electric Digital Smoker

LUHR JENSEN MINI CHIEF TOP LOAD 15LB SM

Great outdoors smokey mountain

7 IN 1 MASTERBUILT

old school wood pit

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Dysartsmoker on October 09, 2009, 06:06:19 AM
Well -9C this morning and -17 wind chill good thing we have two ovens in the house no cooking outside this weekend oh yea and 3 inches of frickin snow love saskatchewan 

Geez, just checked my thermo and it was 76 at 8:00 and the high today is going to be 89.

tsquared

That's right, twice with a 1/4tsp of s and p and yes, I bake the stuffing--as much as I can fit in the bird and then the remainder in a small crock in the oven with the bird. As for our Wet coast weather--we've enjoyed a great sunny run of fall weather with days up to 17-20 celsius but the rains are going to start this weekend.
T2

Quarlow

When we were kids my dad built a 36' cabin cruiser so we spent alot of time cruising the Gulf Islands. We would build a fire on the beach and when the tide went out we'd knock some oysters of the rocks and put them right into the fire. Let them cook till they popped open,a little butter and salt and man that was heaven on earth.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 06:34:20 AM
When we were kids my dad built a 36' cabin cruiser so we spent alot of time cruising the Gulf Islands. We would build a fire on the beach and when the tide went out we'd knock some oysters of the rocks and put them right into the fire. Let them cook till they popped open,a little butter and salt and man that was heaven on earth.

That must have been a beautiful choldhood experience Q.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

Yeah and I wish I could post some of the pics from then but they were all lost in a basement flood. This pacific west coast is avery beautiful place. I am actually looking for a big boat for my wife and I to live on once my kids leave the nest. My almost 18 year old will be the first to go because she is such an independent. I think once she finishes school she will probably move in with one of her many friends. My 19year old will probably never leave so I will have to get a boat big enough for her to live with us. Unless I just kick her butt out so she can experience the world. hehe.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Man, you will be front row center for the Olympics...

We thought about trying to attend them, as my wife's family is in Tacoma WA.  It's just a few hours drive up to BC.  But then we visited Calgary/Banff (beautiful!) a couple summers ago, and realized how expensive things were.   I'm sure they will be 5X higher with the Olympics in town.

monty

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2009, 07:16:21 AM
But then we visited Calgary/Banff (beautiful!) a couple summers ago, and realized how expensive things were.

Way too much oil money there ::)

It's the Texas of Canada  :D
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

squirtthecat

Quote from: monty on October 09, 2009, 07:34:25 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2009, 07:16:21 AM
But then we visited Calgary/Banff (beautiful!) a couple summers ago, and realized how expensive things were.

Way too much oil money there ::)

It's the Texas of Canada  :D

It looked/cost like the Maine of Canada..     I picked up a case of 'cheap' beer (Molson something) and it rang up as $24 CAD.   I told her I just wanted one case.  She said that was for 1 case.      :o

Quarlow

Olympics Who can afford to go to that. 5 hundred per to see a hockey game. Not me. No the olympics is fine as far as bring tourists to town to spend lots of money but most of the venues were bought up before you could blink and unless I want to watch curling at 3 in the morning all I will see will be on tv. Besides I rather stay home and smoke something. Meat that is. Yeah it's expesive hear but I sure it costs more to live in other countrys. The thing that really pisses me of is you can buy canadian booze in the US cheaper than you can here.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Yep, I'm kinda glad Chicago got beat out by Rio, otherwise we would have felt obligated to troop up there (3.5 hours away) and spend a fortune to see some of it..     I'm with you, I like the TV coverage just fine!

Caneyscud

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 06:34:20 AM

Man that brings back memories.  We had a 24 footer and a cabin on a spoil island outta Corpus Christi.  Catch specs in the morning, fillet them,  harvest a few oysters from the bed in back of the island, tie a spec skeleton on a line and net a few blue crabs, seine some shrimp and if we were lucky there's be some scallops in the net after seining the shrimp.  Cook all that up, sit on the front porch of the cabin, eat till we just about busted, watch the boats go by while slipping off into nap-nap time.  Then wake up and go catch some more specs.  Man them was good times!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Quarlow

Oh yeah we would pull into a small bay, drop the crab trap in 30 or 40' go find some deep holes throw out the prawn traps in around 300' then drop the hook and go explore for the rest of the day. About 4 o'clock we'd run out and pull the traps and  head back for the feast. One time while dad was getting things all ready to go into the pot, I threw a big heavy jigger over the side just to keep myself busy, not figuring to catch something as I didn't even put bait on it and next thing I know something grabs my line. Still not figuring I would land anything I started to reel it in quietly. After about 5 minutes I had this thing almost at the surface and could see what it was. So I said to my dad "hey dad, how would you like some halibut for dinner" and he said "that would be perfect". To which I said " then you better come here with a net cause I caught one". But he didn't believe me so I gave some slack to the line and walked back to the cabin door and handed it to him and said "here give this a pull. Well he still thought I was kidding around so he grabs the rod and gives it a flick. Now remember that I have just eased this thing to the surface and it just kind of came along with out a fight or anything, Well when he gave that rod a flick that thing had had enough and took of like a shot. You should have seen my dads face. Luckily he had a grip on the rod and the Long story short, we ended up with 25 pounds of halibut with our dinner.

OBS
BBQ