Whole Pig in a Cajun Microwave

Started by classicrockgriller, November 10, 2009, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

I just stumbled came across this topic & what a joy ! This has the rusty gears in my head turning, & wondering how I can adapt a portion of Mr Piggy & cover him up with my trash can, like I do my turkeys. It will certainly be a hit for my deer camp next year & I have almost a whole year to practice !

Any ideas would be appreciated !

classicrockgriller

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on December 04, 2009, 06:32:34 AM
I just stumbled came across this topic & what a joy ! This has the rusty gears in my head wondering how I can adapt a portion of Mr Piggy & cover him up with my trash can, like I do my turkeys. It will certainly be a hit for my deer camp next year & I have almost a whole year to practice !

Don't see why you couldn't. hmmmm

This is your post so we can refer to it: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12140.msg137990#msg137990

Couple of idea's:

You are going to have to cook the pig at a lower and slower temp than the Turkey, so therefore not as much charcoal at once .

Probably couldn't use more than a 30 lb (clean weight) piggie

probably gonna have to flip the pig during the cook.

would be nice to have an extra long cord for your IT probe to be able to monitor the IT of pig.

You might could run a test run on a boston butt, you would have to set that on something to raise it up.

outdoorsfellar

Thanks for the quick reply ! Those are certainly some considerations to keep in mind. The can itself really isn't that big for too much piggy & therefore, I am going to modify what I posted & start thinking about a brisket as well. I could probably smoke it right before I leave for camp & then go from there. I dunno, we'll just see where this thread takes us & go from there !   Thanks !

Quarlow

Hey CRG, do you just put the coals on top or does some go in the bottom.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

They have these boxes for sale or the plans to build one are on the net.

La Caja China (about $200 plus shipping)

Do a search on ebay. The medium one can roast a 80lb hog.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Quarlow on December 04, 2009, 07:44:41 AM
Hey CRG, do you just put the coals on top or does some go in the bottom.

Q, that was about a 50 lb pig with out head.

We started it about 12 noon with 1/2 to 3/4 bag of charcoal on top only.

About 3:00 we open and flipped the pig. Added about another 1/2 bag of charcoal and went hunting.

At 6:00 the piggie was done.

squirtthecat

Q, check out how they work here:

(this is the commercial version)

https://www.lacajachina.com/Articles.asp?ID=156

There are some video links as well from a Food Network special.

Quarlow

It's amazing that the heat radiating down is all it takes. That is very cool.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Q, it makes it like a convection oven. That heat is rolling all inside there.

Quarlow

You ever cook anything else in it. Seems like you could do about 5 turkeys in that thing all at once.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

The one I want will cook a 70 lb pig, 16-18 whole chickens,4-6 turkeys,8-10 pork rib slabs,or 8-10 boston butts. or anyother meat or fish.

http://www.lacajachina.com/category_s/1.htm

classicrockgriller

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on December 04, 2009, 06:32:34 AM
I just stumbled came across this topic & what a joy ! This has the rusty gears in my head turning, & wondering how I can adapt a portion of Mr Piggy & cover him up with my trash can, like I do my turkeys. It will certainly be a hit for my deer camp next year & I have almost a whole year to practice !

Think about this ODF.

dble layer of alumium foil on ground.

A rack to suspend the hog off the ground

an ablong galvanized water tub over the top.

Might try that my self.

Season the tub first and no touchie the pig.

DTAggie

Damn Sonny that looks great.  I didn't see any of the fellas with their pant legs rolled up to keep out of all the BS being told around that fire!

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Ka Honu

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on June 10, 2010, 09:22:44 AMCould do the Imu thing --

Be careful out there - we use lava rock (or we did back in the day when I still dug the occasional imu).  Other types of rock may have a tendency to explode.