1st Smoke Ever..Question on timing

Started by rmaggio, December 26, 2009, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmaggio

I bought two Pork Butts one 6lbs and one 7lbs how long do you think i need to cook them for at 225?

FLBentRider

I would figure 18 to 24 hours.

Depending on your ambient temps, and to some degree the pig, it could take longer or shorter than that.

I would plan for 24 and use the FTC method to hold them until time to serve.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

If you're going to smoke them at the same time, you need to prepare for a long smoke/cook period.  My opinion, 16 hours and as much as 20 hours.  Biggest variable is the pig that those butts came from.  Best advice I can give you is don't panic when the internal temps of those butts stall for several hours.  That's what you want them to do so resist the urge to bump the temp up to shorten the cook time.  If you're looking for pulled pork I would go to 185-200 for the internal temp of the butts.

My more experienced learned friends will come along to give you better advice.

KyNola

Sorry FLBR, again you are quick draw!  rmaggio, told you more experienced folks would come along!   

pensrock

I just did two 7 pounders at 215 degrees F and it only took about 14 hours to get the internal temperature to 190-195 F.

York

I agree with KyNola. Don't panic. You need to have patience while waiting for the butts to get up to temp. I've had some take just 14 hours. I just recently had 2 take 22 hours.

rmaggio

Just put the two butts in....gave them both a little slap before..wish me luck

classicrockgriller

Good luck and a little slap never hurts!

Quarlow

OK you guys have to explain the slap now cause I keep hearing reference to it. Come on spit it out.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

Q,
Haven't you ever slapped a butt before? ;)

KyNola

Quarlow

Yea but the last time I hit her to hard and Wombat(my wife) wouldn't talk to me for week.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

classicrockgriller

We said a little slap! We're not trying to totally tenderize it, more of a "love" slap.

Quarlow

OK so how does this slap thing go here so I know what your actually meaning. And I promise not to spank...I mean slap the "wombat" so hard next time. ;D

OBS
BBQ

FLBentRider

Sorta like a "butt pat"

:o 8) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

So you clowns just take your meat and give it a little slap, so what is the result of this little meat slap you guys do or is this something we should be talking about ;D ;D :o 8)

OBS
BBQ