20 lb Pork Butt

Started by queball, February 27, 2010, 10:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

queball

Any one out there have a basic guess as to how long it may take to smoke a 20 lb pork butt & at what temp do you recommend. I know it needs to be at 195 degrees IT before I FTC it for pulled pork. Thanks Richard :P

Gizmo

I would recommend 210 to 220.  It will probably take around 22 hours but that can vary drastically based on pork butt itself (no two are the same), the actual temp you are able to maintain, and how many times you open the door just to name a few.  The best suggestion is to anticipate 24 hours or more and use the Foil, Towel, pre-warmed Cooler method to hold temp after you reach the 195 internal.  That butt will stay toasty warm inside the cooler for many hours.  If you find yourself running out of time (as in it looks like it will take 26 or more hours), don't be afraid to add 10 to 20 degrees more heat.  Butts are the most forgiving piece of meat out there in my opinion.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

TTNuge

I thought I had a big butt at one point but it turned out that it was actually 2 butts cryovac'd together.  A 20# butt is huge and bigger than any I've ever seen.

Thor

Got to love those Big Butts
If you got it, smoke it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: TTNuge on February 27, 2010, 11:08:37 AM
I thought I had a big butt at one point but it turned out that it was actually 2 butts cryovac'd together.  A 20# butt is huge and bigger than any I've ever seen.
I am guessing thats what he has. Gizmo has him pointed in the right direction
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

queball

You guys win, Upon further checking it is 2 chryo wrapped together. ::)

SnellySmokesEm

"I like big butts and I cannot lie"
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Giz is right on the money.

Like he said, one may finished earlier that the other depending if you rotate the racks.

I have had two butts the same size finished 4 hrs apart.

One was a nice butt, the other was a stubborn butt.

queball

Just like a woman, 2 different cheeks. :D