A better brisket?

Started by goalieboy29, August 05, 2005, 02:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goalieboy29

Hey Gang,

Thanks again to all who provided suggestions and encouragement under the subject "Noob still trying to get it right". Many of those ideas will come into play next week-end when I do a command ribfest for friends. Want the ribs to be perfect.

Now, my challenge this week-end. It's my pup's second birthday and of course, we have to have a party. I've been yapping so much about my smoker that the gang wants a brisket. Yikes! Only did one so far and it turned out OK but kinda tough. DID NOT look like some of the pictures I've seen on this board...

So, What are some of the key points for brisket?

Specifically;

1. How much smoke/what wood? ( I have Oak, Maple, Apple and Hickory)
2. How long for a 6 pound brisket?
3. Do I marinated before? Anyone slather it in mustard as I have heard some do?
4. I notice some like rubs and some just salt and pepper. ANyone done both and found one method better?
5. What sides would you serve with it?

I appreciate that this type of question has been answered many times. I did a search of your amazing database and got some good info. Just looking for anything new or more updated.
That's all I can think of for now. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Well, maybe not anything unnatural...

Cheers,

goalieboy29

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

kjel

goalieboy
I've done brisket 4 times in the BS and it's been consistently tender.  I've used Oak, Maple, and Apple.  I like oak the best.  I did the marinating in italian dressing overnight and mustard and rub 1hr before smoking the brisket flat. I think the best advice would be to make sure your thermometer has a fresh set of batteries and your meat probe is reading correctly and placed in the thickest part of your brisket.  To check your probe hold it in gently boiling water and check if it's up to 212 degrees ferenheit at sea level.  Their is no way I know of to adjust the thermometer if it's off.  Manufacturer suggests changing to new batteries and recheck.
An example of meat temperature making a difference to a tender piece of meat and an OK piece?  I did 2 pork butts this weekend and used a meat probe in each butt.  Although they were approx the same size, the maverick alarmed 3hrs before the procom set at the same temp. Unfortunately, I took 1 butt out early and it wasn't as tender or easy to pull apart as the second.
Once you get in right you'll end up smoking more brisket.  Have fun!

MallardWacker

Man of Hockey;

These are my unabashed, and sometimes retarded sugestions, so take them for what they are worth....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">1. How much smoke/what wood? ( I have Oak, Maple, Apple and Hickory)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">My favorite is Pecan.  I you want to something stronger.  I know Jeff and Olds will say something about OAK.  I woud not use over 4hrs of smoke.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2. How long for a 6 pound brisket? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Short answer is 8-12 hrs-depending.  I cook my briskets at 225-235-nothing exact.  TILL AN INTERNAL OF 183-187, somewhere in this ball park.  This will give me a fork tender, slicable piece of meat.

<b><u>NOW HEAR THIS:</u> </b>  Bone up on FTC.  When that puppy gets to the above internals I have mentioned; pull it and double wrap it in foil with a chug of apple juice than wrap it in a towel then put it in a cooler for 1.5-2 hrs.  YOU WILL BE THE MAN.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3. Do I marinated before? Anyone slather it in mustard as I have heard some do?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Leave the Mustard for the Butts and Ribs.  Use simple spice like salt and pepper for brisket.  I use an Italian seasoning named Cavender's (from walmart).  It is a mixure of salt, pepper, garlic and other spices but mainly salt and pepper---I would keep it simple for brisket.  You can put this on the night before and wrap in saran rap.  Or even the day of....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4. I notice some like rubs and some just salt and pepper. ANyone done both and found one method better?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">To me heavy flavored rubs mess with the great taste of smoked beef.  Unlike pork, at times, needs as much help as possible.  I bet you if you cook two tenderloins, one beef and one pork side by side without any seasoning.  I will garru-nteee you that the pork will almost come out without any flavor at all.  Now this is my opinion and at times it can be lacking....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">5. What sides would you serve with it?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">As far as recipes there are two I would strongly suggest.  Both will come from the "House of Olds".  First is his Candy-izes beans AND is Raw Apple Cake.  Did this cake for the first time this past weekend---smashing sucess.

Have fun...........

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

Ken Dryden boy, here's my take on brisket.  Doing another this weekend for my father-in-law's b-day.

To answer your questions:

1) I usually use Hickory, Oak, or a combo of both.

2) 4 hours of smoke, then a spritz of apple juice/cider vinegar (3:1) saran, double-foil, and cook til I.T. of 187-190.

3) No marinade.

4) I like a good dry rub.  Here's my favorite rub for brisket:
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137
I always add some fresh ground coffee to this rub, and sometimes a bit of mustard powder, sage, and oregano too. (Yes coffee! It adds a wonderful flavor to beef and even pork.)

5) Take your pick.  I've done everything from Collard Greens to Black Bean and Corn Salad.

EDIT:  Although you didn't ask, I'll give you my sauce preference.  I make a version of the Ranch Style sauce in Smoke & Spice (hope you have a copy) minus most of the lemon juice and cumin, with some fresh brewed strong coffee or espresso added in.  I also cut down the fresh chili by 2/3 because IMO good 'que doesn't need to be spicy.  The sauce is fairly intense, so don't drown the meat in it.  A little on the bun and some drizzled on the meat is the perfect compliment.
Enjoy!  [:D] Let us know how it turns out.

BigSmoker

Lots of good info so far.  Like MW said I do like oak on beef but anything works except I don't care for mesquite very much but thats just me.  Only a couple of other things I didn't see.  Buy USDA choice only.  Look for one that has a nice fat cap as well.  Other than that I think you are covered.  Personally I use a rub heavy on pepper mixed with some turbinado sugar or I also used a coffee based rub too.  For friends I would keep it simple with salt pepper and maybe some garlic powder.  If you like your smoke flavor to be pretty heavy u might want 6 hrs of smoke.  I have done 4 6 and 8.  8 was definitely to much smoke flavor but 4 and 6 were both good.  Have fun and Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />.....except I don't care for mesquite very much but thats just me....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You speak with wise tongue Kemosobee.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

goalieboy29

Once again I am amazed at the generosity and speed with which you guys reply. It's kinda like men watching a construction site eh? Everyone wants to get in there and play...

Think I will keep the flavourings to salt and pepper and some garlic granules. Gonna try mixing oak and hickory (4 hours worth) and then the old FTC. Seems a popular method. Think I'll break out the probe thermometer too. I also like the idea of "bacon rain" so I may put a few strips on top just for fun.

One more thought;Hey psdubl07, you mention that I should smoke for 4 hours then wrap in saran and foil and keep on cooking til 187-190. Won't the saran melt or get nasty? Never cooked with it before so I'm not sure I got that suggestion right.

I will post the results and pics if I manage to figure out how.

Have a great week-end and happy Q'in to all.

goalieboy29

Oldman

My 2 cents is not to use plastic wrap while in the smoker. Next try using the beef fat you trim off of the cap instead of bacon for the grease drip.

If this is your first time with beef I suggest less than 4 hours of smoke. Maybe 8 pucks. Some folks don't care for a lot of smoke on beef. Pehaps you and your family won't either.  You can always increase it the next time.

Next without a doubt the second day the beef will be so much better. Plus I personally like just the salt and pepper.

Good Luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

goalieboy29

Hey Guys,

It's 6:30 am and the brisket is in the house along with a bit of fat. (why is it that I can so easily get up early to BBQ or golf?) Had a solid pre-heat and the BS got up to 280! Went with a little combo of salt, pepper, garlic granules, a bit of smoked paprika and a sprinkle of turbinado sugar. Put the Polder unit in the thickest part and set the high limit to 190. Don't plan to touch it again for 4 hours to change the drip pan. Am using 12 pucks with a mix of Oak, Hickory and a few Special Blend.

Now that the rush is over, is it too early for a beer? Seems like the right thing to do while you wait...

goalieboy29

nsxbill

goalieboy29

It is the right thing to do, even if you are impatient.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

At the 4 hour mark you are going to wrap it in foil are you not? Try to do your foil is such a way that none of the beef juices escape.

If you only have one probe I suggest at the 4 hour mark NOT returning it to the meat for the next 4 hours. Use it to get a correct reading of the box.

If you going to FTC it what I did last time was much easier than pre-heating the ice chest. When the brisket hit 184 I slid it rack and all onto a flat cookie sheet.

Added a little apple juice. Next I had pre heated my oven to 175 F. Place a heavy towel on the oven rack. Place meat still on rack and still on flat cookie sheet on top of the towel and wrapped it in the towel. Closed oven door and waited until the oven again reached 175 F and then turned the oven off. Two hours 15 minutes later is was sliceable but you could cut it with a fork.

Good Luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

goalieboy29

nsxbill;

Thanks for the okie-doke on the beer. Neighbors are lookin' at me funny though...(by the way, I'm a longtime fan of the Accura. That NSX must be the sweetest ride.The only exotic I would buy if I could.)

Hey Olds,

Gonna try your oven FTC and will certainly wrap in foil at the 4 hour mark. Think I'll tak the probe out too. How do I know when she's done?

goalieboy29

Oldman

At the 8 hour mark return the probe to the meat! [:D]

Olds

goalieboy29

HELP!

My internal temp is already at 172 and the clock shows 3 hours left. What do I do? Do I pull at 190 or stick with the timer? There is no way it will take 3 hours to reach 190. Probably get there within the next hour or so. Box temp around 210...

thanks guys.

goalieboy29

owrstrich

my vote 190 then ftc regardless of the clock...

i did a brisket last weekend... it took several hours to go from 170 to 190... i waited and waited and waited and then my 190 alarm and then ftc for about 6 hours...

i sliced the whole thing across the grain about 1/4 inch and put in fridge... it was perfect... flavour... moist... everything was
fantastic... i just finished off the last of it last night... 6 days of smoked brisket...

patience is the key... you wont screw it up waiting for 190...

you gotts to eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...