Wood Recommendations For Pork Butt

Started by Reboot, March 02, 2011, 10:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reboot

Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2011, 12:17:16 PM
Nice butt.  ;D

What flavor of wood did you end up using?

Thanks!  We ended up using hickory after all, but I only smoked it for the first 4 hours just to see how it how it would turn out.  It was actually very good and not overpowering at all- in fact everyone said we could have smoked it longer.  Lesson learned...next time more smoke!   ;D

DTAggie

I use 6 hours of whatever wood I am using on butt, usually hickory or oak.  I too find it is not smokey at all.  Just didn't want you to push it on your first try.  Butt and brisket can handle quite a bit of smoke.  Some will say the meat no longer absorbs smoke after 4 hours but I am not convinced of that.

Reboot

Quote from: DTAggie on March 04, 2011, 01:09:11 PM
I use 6 hours of whatever wood I am using on butt, usually hickory or oak.  I too find it is not smokey at all.  Just didn't want you to push it on your first try.  Butt and brisket can handle quite a bit of smoke.  Some will say the meat no longer absorbs smoke after 4 hours but I am not convinced of that.

Your help is very much appreciated - to be honest I never considered something could ever be TOO smokey or overpowering before you mentioned it.  I love smoked meats so much I just assumed everybody did  :D