GB Jerky

Started by northof60girl, October 06, 2011, 12:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northof60girl

Ok, I have gotten some good info from reading the forum about GB jerky but can someone send me a link to GB pepperttes and flat jerky recipes.  I have waded through and found a couple that use casings but I would like to do them without casings.  Thanks in advance my friends!!  :D

Tenpoint5

Just use the same recipe but don't stuff it into casings then. It's that simple.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

devo

Hi northof60girl
I have made GB jerky and sticks from this recipe. Gregs spicy beef sticks.
For sticks just use the smallest horn you have and the flat attachment for jerky.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?648-Greg-s-Spicy-Beef-Sticks

northof60girl

Thanks Guys...will use Greg's recipe, no casing...pictures forthcoming this weekend!

classicrockgriller

Are you going to buy the meat already ground up?

northof60girl

I already have it.  I bought it a couple of weeks ago (and froze) when I was across the line in the US.  It's cheaper there and they have the ratio on the packaging which I have yet to see in Canada.  It's 85/15.  ??

classicrockgriller

85/15 might be a little too fatty.

How much meat are you going to do?

northof60girl

Crap...too fatty! Ok, what can I do to fix it by Saturday.  It's about 5 pounds I think....there goes the confidence lol

Mr Walleye

Northof60Girl

You can use the 85/15 and it will come out fine especially in the casingless sticks. When it comes to jerky it's usually the leaner the better.

I'm a Canuck as well. Up here we use Regular, Lean and Extra Lean.

Here are the ratios from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency

•maximum fat levels:
extra lean - 10%
lean - 17%
medium - 23%
regular - 30%

Their web site is here:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/retdet/bulletins/meavia/burgere.shtml

Here is the actual Act (Law)
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-90-288/page-35.html#h-33

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

northof60girl

Hi Mike

Thanks, it's my first try so while I hope for great results I know I am on a learning curve lol.  I am seasoning the smoker as we speak but I do have a question someone may be able to answer.  I set the temp for 150 as it suggests and it currently reads 176.  Shouldn't the heat shut off or ?? when the temp I set is reached?

Thanks
Laurie

classicrockgriller

It's fine Laurie
let her rip.

northof60girl

I sound like a new parent hahahaha.   :o

It smoking good now!  I even picked up a digital thermometer and an extension cord because of course it doesn't reach anything outside.  I live in a tiny one bedroom basement suite and it's not the greatest of areas so I don't want to leave it outside so I'm going to throw in on my dolly with a piece of plywood under it and wheel it in and out of my tiny house.  I'd hate to come home and find it gone...  :'(

classicrockgriller

Running the Bradley on a extension cord can be bad.

Needs to be a short 12 gu extension cord.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 06, 2011, 07:25:32 PM
Running the Bradley on a extension cord can be bad.

Needs to be a short 12 gu extension cord.

Like Sonny said,,,,,,,have one made for ya,,,,,,,,,,just long enogh to get where ya need it and with GOOD ENDS.

Its all about amps here.

northof60girl

Back to Canadian Tire tomorrow..sigh...