Turkey with 8% Solution - -- To Brine or not to Brine, that is the queston

Started by 4given, November 21, 2013, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Looking at the label on my Thanksgiving turkey it says it has been "enhanced" with an 8% solution.  Since this bird is already shot up at the factory with salt and who knows what else would brining it be a waste of time? If I did brine it would it be too salty?

Thanks for any advice!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

devo

No it won't be to salty, if I was you I would cut back on the salt brine. The other flavors you might want to add will only make it better. If you have a favorite brine just cut back on the salt and go for it.

Habanero Smoker

You may have already done this, but read the label. If the ingredients include salt and/or sodium phosphates, then I would say there is no need to brine. Over the past few years I have been seeing poultry, especially organic chickens being injected with 5% solution and when I read the ingredients it is only water. The 8% doesn't tell you what the salt percentage is, but the poultry will not get any saltier then your brine solution, and the amount of time you brine.

Many articles will state that additional brining will not make any significant difference, but osmosis will still occur to some extend, whether you have a high or low salt solution. Pachanga posted a low salt recipe that requires a long brine time; at least a few days. The theory is the low salt brine causes a reverse osmosis, pulling the brine solution out of the turkey to the point that the brine solution the turkey is in has a higher salt content. At that point the process of osmosis begins, and draws in the brine and any additional flavors.

If you have the time and space, and would like to see if it makes a difference, it wouldn't not hurt try your brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

Solution ingredients: Turkey broth, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Flavoring. (No MSG)

Sounds "Pre-Brined" to me!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: 4given on November 22, 2013, 08:56:20 AM

Solution ingredients: Turkey broth, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Flavoring. (No MSG)

Sounds "Pre-Brined" to me!

It sure does! :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Pachanga

As I recall Habs has posted a very low salt brine also.  I came up with a low salt brine over time and experiment.  I use a flavor brine using vegetable stock.  I use a Kosher and course sea salt.  While weighing would be better, I simply use 1 1/8 cup of salt to two gallons of water or liquid.  Most recipes call for 2 cups to 2 gallons or on cup per gallon. 

Again, it is very important to use course salt instead of fine; a much different measurement.  This brine is very forgiving.  I just brined 45 pound of chicken for four days (boneless breast, skin with bone breasts and whole chickens).  No saltiness, no texture problems; just flavor. 

I generally brine a 20+ turkey for 4 days.

I brine injected turkey and chicken all the time.  My family can tell a big difference in moisture and flavor.  Since I always use a flavor brine, there may still be some enhancement of injected poultry.

Just my anecdotal opinion.

Here is a link to my recipe at Old's Place with thanks to Habs.  Note that I have since continued to lower the salt by 1/8 cup.  I did so after reading a post by Habs.  Good call, Sir Habanero.  I may even go lower.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?777-Brine-Pachanga-Low-Salt-Poultry-Brine&s=68dddcca9a77b69e97a2032a12160b4d

I have two 22 pounders thawing for a Saturday after Thanksgiving fiesta.

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

Pachanga;

Thanks for posting that link. I forgot it was on the recipe site. If you are now using 1 1/8 cups of salt and are getting better results, I can easily make that adjustment on the recipe site.

Looking at your recipe again, I've decided going to use your brine for my Christmas turkey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Pachanga

Habs,

I am now at 1 1/8 cups for two gallons liquid.  I have gone a scant less with the same results.  I would change the recipe on the site to the new figure.

I will be interested to hear how it goes regarding Christmas turkey.  My family and friends can tell a marked difference in flavor and moisture.  I hope you have the same experience.  Let me know.  I certainly respect your thoughts and opinion.  I am always looking for suggestions for improvement.

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

Pachanga;

I'll definitely let you know the outcome. I would have liked to do this for Thanksgiving, but there is not enough time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

4given

I decided I am going to go ahead and brine since I just can't leave well enough alone!!  :P 

I will only have one day to brine so I guess I will use a stronger salt solution.  I think I will go with 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar per gallon of water and soak the bird in it for 1 hour per pound.  I am thinking that should give me a good benchmark on brining and I can experiment from there.

It's a 20lb bird so I think I will cook it on my GMG pellet grill using a blend of Cherry, Maple and Hickory pellets. I'll probably let it smoke for hour at 150deg, turn the heat up to 450 or so for about an hour then finish it at 350 until the breast is at 160- 165.

I'm thinking of injecting  the breast with unsalted butter as well.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100